$1000 for front Bilstein 5100's?

Superspirit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
Ok thanks for the replies. Seems the consensus is its more or less fair.

Still slightly concerned now with the person who said rear 5100's shouldn't have raised it. Any idea which notch/ring I should tell the shop to set the height to for a level? Maybe I just tell them to level it and they can figure it out.
The rear shocks raised mine also. I KNOW they are on correctly im a retired master auto tech. And I did them myself.
Sponsored

Whiplash

First Name
Kern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 / 2004 Mazda RX8
Occupation
Route driver

Still slightly concerned now with the person who said rear 5100's shouldn't have raised it. Any idea which notch/ring I should tell the shop to set the height to for a level? Maybe I just tell them to level it and they can figure it out.
Most set the preload at the 2.0" if you are keeping the stock UCA......will leave you with about 1/2" to 3/4" rake with no weight on the bed...2.5" will get you closer to level, but I recommend using an after market UCA for alignment reasons.....

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
so a good amount of time goes into swapping the parts that your keeping to use on the new struts. if one gets a fully assembled coil over strut its a faster job.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe the rears. I want to see the guy that can do both fronts in under an hour.
Find me someone who works for an hour straight (aka not chit chat around the shop between loosening a bolt) and I can.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
I bought mine from Les Schwab and they installed all 4 for $1000 and that includes the Bilstein 5100 front and rear. I could have done the rear but did not want to attempt to do the fronts. I love them it made a huge difference in my Ranger.

philanderer

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 ford ranger
i paid just under 500 for front and rear install and alignment, and about 400 for the front struts and rear shocks, iirc. plenty stiff ride but i like it. 1.8 in setting up front

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
most folks simply dont have the means to safely do the springs etc. at home. I figured id rather pay someone else that has the right stuff to do it than me end up with a spring through my butt cheek and paying er bills. someplace around here is a picture of a redneck spring compressor ...

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013

the rears are static height but they can handle up 1 inch lift in the rear. look at bsd shackles for the 1 inch proper lift.

Dynawide

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Manager
Also, I don’t recall that putting the 5100’s on the rear raised my truck at all, so you may want to double check that.
Agreed, I don't see how swapping shocks would raise the vehicle at all?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
the one inch lift over stock height in the 5100s is as stated, they allow for more travel etc. but they do not lift the rear of the truck. They may be more stiff and give less than the terrible stock shocks but the height of truck will be basically the same unless one ads blocks or springs etc. that add lift. im not a fan of blocks or spacers. good rear lift options are different spring packs or the rear springs from the overseas raptor rangers. i use the autospring corp springs. they add lift and claim to support 750 pounds more weight. they are more firm than the stock set and still flexible. if you go with the autospring corp setup you need spring keepers for off road use that is semi aggressive. without the keepers the springs will shift around. put em fore and aft on mine and problem solved.

Superspirit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
Agreed, I don't see how swapping shocks would raise the vehicle at all?
Its called the gas charge in the shock, acts similar to air shocks and if you measured before and after you would have seen that it raised the rear of the truck about 3/4" but you know it alls can't be taught anything. Glad I'm not you!

Last edited:

DranC

First Name
Drandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Healthcare Corp Analyst
I paid close to $500 for all four (without the front springs). They are adjustable so I elected to not do the lift.

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
The rear shocks raised mine also. I KNOW they are on correctly im a retired master auto tech. And I did them myself.
I contacted Fox about rear shocks. They wii work with up to a 1 1/2 in lift but without springs they will not lift the rear.

Superspirit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
I contacted Fox about rear shocks. They wii work with up to a 1 1/2 in lift but without springs they will not lift the rear.
Sorry I've seen it many times. A quality gas shock will raise the vehicle. I measured mine and I know how to read a tape measure. It raises mine. May drop after they settle in but NO KEYBOARD COMMANDO WILL EVER CONVINCE ME THAT I DIDN'T SEE WHAT I SAW!!

Gdub

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Every time I have installed Bilstein shocks to replace none gas pressurized shocks, I get a small lift. Let a Bilstein shock extend and then try to compress it. It takes a lot of force to compress it. It acts like a spring similar to air bags.

I know there are gas pressurized shocks that do not lift the vehicle though. I have Carrera shocks on my race car that are gas pressurized shocks and they do not lift the vehicle. That takes a special design to do that.

I don't know much about Fox shocks. I do know they are expensive and require rebuilding periodically. They are also top quality shocks and may have the design that does not lift the vehicle.
Sponsored