First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
They don't adjust for towing. They are fixed. At the max 2.5" increase a slight load will level the truck. You could go with the 2" setting an be able to carry more an be level. My son in low but a level kit on his dodge 2500 an he put air bags on the back so when he pulled his toy hauler it would keep the truck level.

I bought this kit an plan on using the 2.5" setting but I rarely haul anything other than a load of firewood.
Sponsored

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
All my built vehicles in the past where track cars. Im trying to learn the 4x4 life. I was going to get a 3" Bilstein kit. After research found that anything over 2" and you need a diff drop. The stress on the knuckles will eventually give out. Then the articulation will be limited do to stock components.
I guess Im looking at a 2" lift with 33" tires on 17s now.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I have a dumb question. If these are adjustable, and I level my fx4 will these self adjust back to level when I tow something, tongue weight will raise the front end, if stock that levels it out. With this set would I still need a front coil over spacer to reach level?
My ranger will be a tow vehicle as well, for a travel trailer around 4,500 fully loaded, with a tongue weight of 500 lbs or so.

If I go the Bilstein route, I would set the front height near the low end of options, probably use the 1.2" setting. I don't want a nose up vehicle when towing.

Waxthis

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Controls Tech
Hi all,

I am looking into purchasing the Bilstein 5100 set for all 4 corners from Stage 3. I just want to make sure I do this right as this is the first truck I am ever doing any real mods to.

If I purchase this set - https://www.stage3motorsports.com/1...stein-5100-adjustable-leveling-shock-kit.html - Is this all that I need to get in order to bring it to a shop and have it installed? If I am reading correctly, I can use this to get a 2.5 inch level in the front. I have been doing all my research on this, but wanted to ask you all first to double check my information. Appreciate any help from you guys!
There are various one time use nuts that will need to be replaced. Not sure if your kit comes with them or not. I'm currently researching this my self.

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK
Here is the part numbers I have for front and back

2- Stabilizer Bar Nut - Ford (-W716936-S442)
6- M12 Nut - Ford (-W520214-S440)
2- Axle Nut - Ford (KB3Z-3B477-A)
2- Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link Nut - Ford (-W520213-S440)
4- W719057-S439 Rear shock bolt

Waxthis

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Controls Tech
Here is the part numbers I have for front and back

2- Stabilizer Bar Nut - Ford (-W716936-S442)
6- M12 Nut - Ford (-W520214-S440)
2- Axle Nut - Ford (KB3Z-3B477-A)
2- Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link Nut - Ford (-W520213-S440)
4- W719057-S439 Rear shock bolt
Thanks!

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
All my built vehicles in the past where track cars. Im trying to learn the 4x4 life. I was going to get a 3" Bilstein kit. After research found that anything over 2" and you need a diff drop. The stress on the knuckles will eventually give out. Then the articulation will be limited do to stock components.
I guess Im looking at a 2" lift with 33" tires on 17s now.
1st of heard about a diff drop. I had only heard if you go max or higher you need different control arms. Can you link to where you read this please?

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
1st of heard about a diff drop. I had only heard if you go max or higher you need different control arms. Can you link to where you read this please?
Yes, Ill find the video of it. I think it was posted somewhere once before, but probably buried. I also asked a local shop here that install Bilstein and they said the same. Im just trying to learn the right and wrong myself.

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 PKG
Occupation
Sales
Yes, Ill find the video of it. I think it was posted somewhere once before, but probably buried. I also asked a local shop here that install Bilstein and they said the same. Im just trying to learn the right and wrong myself.
I went bilstein at the full height 2.5” on 17” 0 offset with 33x11.5 no issues besides taking 3 times to balance.

Last edited:

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Here is the vid I was talking about, let me know what you guys think.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
The second video talks more about 4 inch, but gives a little detail what happens when lifted any amount. I mean not many are actually going to lift above 2 or 3, so it may be pointless. The first video talks about the 3" more.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have the Bilstein 5100's waiting installation an I'm kinda torn between the 2.5" lift an the 1.8" lift. If I go 1.8 it will be with the idea of adding the least amount of stress to the driveline. I don't do any off roading just driving through a field or down a trail to a shooting sight or to pick up firewood. I want the look.

So my routine driving style (other than the occasional stop light race) won't stress the front an I plan on running 265/70/17 tires which are close to the OME tire weight, only 3 to 5 lbs more per tire. I don't think 2.5" is unreasonable.

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 PKG
Occupation
Sales
I have the Bilstein 5100's waiting installation an I'm kinda torn between the 2.5" lift an the 1.8" lift. If I go 1.8 it will be with the idea of adding the least amount of stress to the driveline. I don't do any off roading just driving through a field or down a trail to a shooting sight or to pick up firewood. I want the look.

So my routine driving style (other than the occasional stop light race) won't stress the front an I plan on running 265/70/17 tires which are close to the OME tire weight, only 3 to 5 lbs more per tire. I don't think 2.5" is unreasonable.
If it really was an issue dealerships Wouldn’t be doing 2.5” lifts and warranting it. But definitely go with what you feel comfortable with.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If it really was an issue dealerships Wouldn’t be doing 2.5” lifts and warranting it. But definitely go with what you feel comfortable with.
great point....2.5 it is

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
Here is the vid I was talking about, let me know what you guys think.

I've watched those videos many times. Ronny is very biased on Toyotas, which do UCA/coil binding at full droop, unlike our Rangers.
See my post on droop limited, same section as this thread. Yes, CV angle is an issue, that's what the diff drop solves, but actually on the ranger, it's not a diff drop per se, rather a diff angle-ing, as there is not enough space to do a proper drop. Yes, the CV will drop. Other than CVs I would worry on the UCAs, yet, if you will replace those those next to doing the diff "drop" you will be probably in a better situation than a 2" lift without other mods.
Sponsored