Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Splash
Occupation
Sales
Have my new 2022 Ranger now...
Advice on best break-in methods?

I have for decades broke in my F150s V8s driving them at different speeds on the highway... alternating for 20 min. Approx 50/70/60/80 mph... For several 100 miles

Recommended oil?.. Guess its mostly synthetic blend at the shops these days... Is full synthetic worth it?

Lastly, use Mid grade 89-91 octane gasoline because of the turbo revving 4 cylinder engine..
Use preferred only 91-93 octane towing?
Sponsored

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Don't maintain the same speed/rpm for long periods. Alternate your speeds often enough.
If stuck on highway for a long time, just randomly speed up and slow down when safe to do so frequently. I started getting little rough with mine after the 2.5k mile period.

Oil... I'm not even gonna bother. I stick with the Synth blend for fords, with occasional use of full synth. I use OEM grade but I have no problem using Penzoil or Valvoline. Hell, even amazon brand meets requirements. Oil filters, oem grade only.

I'm fine with 87 octane...

And nobody debate me about your opinion of why <brand> oil is better than <brand> oil, I don't care.

OP
OP
Philvarah

Philvarah

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Splash
Occupation
Sales
Don't maintain the same speed/rpm for long periods. Alternate your speeds often enough.
If stuck on highway for a long time, just randomly speed up and slow down when safe to do so frequently. I started getting little rough with mine after the 2.5k mile period.

Oil... I'm not even gonna bother. I stick with the Synth blend for fords, with occasional use of full synth. I use OEM grade but I have no problem using Penzoil or Valvoline. Hell, even amazon brand meets requirements. Oil filters, oem grade only.

I'm fine with 87 octane...
Thanx

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
If you switch to full synthetic, I did, I recommend waiting till at least 5k to do so.

For break in my procedure is as you stated plus. I do the varied speeds and gears for the first 1k miles. In addition, no full throttle or redline with the exception of a few hard pulls from stop till I run out of room. I try to space those out about every 250 miles or so.

No need for a break in oil change for me. Although I'm firmly in the 5k mile oil change camp.

I only use premium fuel on turbocharged vehicles.

Worked well on my Ranger. 34k miles and my oil doesn't smell like fuel.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Since I wanted to be able to tow at a call's notice, I've always run premium in mine, now that I have the Ford Performance Tune it is a requirement all the time.

During my Ranger's break-in period I also make use of the manual lockout of upper gears if I was on the highway to vary the engine speed while maintaining a safe for traffic speed.

In this 2.3I run the OE Synthetic blend, in my other 2.3l I run OE Full Synthetic, just as each called for.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Have my new 2022 Ranger now...
Advice on best break-in methods?

I have for decades broke in my F150s V8s driving them at different speeds on the highway... alternating for 20 min. Approx 50/70/60/80 mph... For several 100 miles

Recommended oil?.. Guess its mostly synthetic blend at the shops these days... Is full synthetic worth it?

Lastly, use Mid grade 89-91 octane gasoline because of the turbo revving 4 cylinder engine..
Use preferred only 91-93 octane towing?
Follow recommended maintenance and don’t abuse the vehicle, especially when cold. You have one time to get it right….

A blast from the past-one hit wonders?

Edit: Cut and paste when using my iPad early this morning malfunctioned.

Last edited:

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
Just treat it like it's being broke in on a dyno, always warm it up, start with light loads (NOT low RPM in a high gear, that's high load despite the RPM) don't bog it or load it at low RPM, like stated above vary the RPM points, then eventually work your way up to higher RPM and loads.

Just my 2 cents, only worth a penny.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Dont adjust speed on the highway cycle through gears if you want to adjust rpm. Plus it will break in the trans so to speak as well.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I broke mine in with a 1400 mile round trip to the Black Hills the day after picking it up. On the way out, we took two lane highways all the way; 55-60 mph with lots of 25-45 mph and 4-way stops thru small towns. Shifting up & down in the Black Hills. Then with ~800 miles on the clock, blasted home on I-90 at 70-80 mph. I do a Quick Lane Works Package which includes tire rotation, syn blend oil & filter, battery test and a bunch of other stuff every 6000 miles, even though the Oil Life Index is around 40%.
Our 2009 Mariner is the short trip shuttlecraft and I do oil & filter every 3000 mi.

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
It may have been mentioned, but don't lug it and don't redline it.
Sponsored