Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
Hi!

So what type of Jack is everyone running? I am looking to get a portable jack, not a floor jack. I have a Bottle Jack with me at all times but after leveling the truck I need to use blocks underneath it for it to actually lift a tire off the ground. I'd like to leave it in the truck at all times so that it's always with me. I have sliders that I can Jack from so I have that option too.

I am considering the following:
I really like the ARB but $800+!!! WTH?
Hi Lift Jacks worry me a bit. Don't want to damage myself or the vehicle. Jack plus mount runs about $200ish.
Bottle Jacks are..... well, just bottle jacks. Safe Jack is pricey but not as much as ARB. $300ish

Anyone have experience with these? Any recommendations? Anything else that I should be considering?
Sponsored

Hank the Tank

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Housing Case Manager, Full-time student
Vehicle Showcase
I use a Powerbuilt Unijack. It is a combo jack stand and jack (see image). Theses are available at HomeDepot, Tractor Supply, Walmart, and Amazon. I keep it in a tote in the truck bed, along with other over-night/recovery gear. I have used it on gravel forest roads to change a tire and it was very stable. At home, I'll use them in pairs to lift the rear end (one on either side of the diff housing, along the axle, and pump in tandem).
images.jpeg

• Height range: 8-5/8 inch to 18-3/8 inch

OP
OP
DrewKD88

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
I have considered this as well. I just thought that it may be too large and take up more space than necessary. Maybe I will need to designate a spot just for the Jack. I don't have a tonneau cover or cap yet to hide things so it has to go into the cab for now.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Blocks of wood (4x4, 2x4) and bottle jack and the factory jack is a back up. The hi lift jack only works as a winch or if you are desperate enough to damage the bumper. I have a hi lift jack but dont want to carry that heavy thing around. Dont forget a 4 way and a small rug.

I worked for a fleet and many times people would have a flat, change it and drive off without the flat tire and the jack. :curse:

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
You can do more with a Hi-Lift than any other jack that I know of. You can do more harm to your body and your truck with a Hi-Lift than any other jack that I know of. With great power comes great responsibility. Used wisely, I think it is the best off-road jack.

Hank the Tank

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Housing Case Manager, Full-time student
Vehicle Showcase
I have considered this as well. I just thought that it may be too large and take up more space than necessary. Maybe I will need to designate a spot just for the Jack. I don't have a tonneau cover or cap yet to hide things so it has to go into the cab for now.
It is a bit big, after all it is a jack stand. Definitely belongs in the bed, but at least for me, it has proven well worth the space it takes up in my tote (the factory scissor jack would have been useless when/where I needed it).

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I use a Powerbuilt Unijack. It is a combo jack stand and jack (see image). Theses are available at HomeDepot, Tractor Supply, Walmart, and Amazon. I keep it in a tote in the truck bed, along with other over-night/recovery gear. I have used it on gravel forest roads to change a tire and it was very stable. At home, I'll use them in pairs to lift the rear end (one on either side of the diff housing, along the axle, and pump in tandem).
images.jpeg

• Height range: 8-5/8 inch to 18-3/8 inch
Just received one myself. Going to keep in truck. Will work good for camper also. May get a second for doing tire rotation at home.

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
No, have it tied to bed side. Handle is on 2 clips. Quick in and out. Took factory Jack out to allow more inside storage.
I have always wanted one of these and now I have an excuse, thank you very much. Well I'm off to Harbor Freight!

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
No, have it tied to bed side. Handle is on 2 clips. Quick in and out. Took factory Jack out to allow more inside storage.
Would you mind posting a pic of how you have it stored?

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Hi-Lift. I always carry it with me when going in the bush, it's really versatile. Downside: It's really big and you need accessories to use it as a winch or to recover your truck.

I personally use it as a winch and it works well on my trailer. The one time I had a flat I just used the jack that came with the truck and a couple of blocks of wood stacked up.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
images.jpeg

The pet rock of jacks.

The only reason it's not completely useless is the added foot print does increase stability. That is something.
Sponsored