BAKFLIP MX4 INSTALL

OP
OP

DANGERRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I had the same problem on 1 of my rails. Looked like the quality control slipped when they cut the fight rail and some of the white plastic had a jagged edge. I filed it down with a hacksaw until the company sent me a replacement set. If you push hard into the foam pads you can take up some of the length and also look if any bedliner is doubled over near the tailgate latch. I had some thicker portions I had to pick at to make some room.
Sponsored

Lukaranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT Sport
Alright starting the mx4 install....so far 1 question, the "Ranger Bulkhead Accessory Rail" (that sits under the back window) is the supplied weather strip suppose to be installed on top of it OR just adjust the rail so it is flush with the bed sides??
And in the attached picture, are those the shims that are suppose to by added to the side rails? The side rails already have the same type applied to it.

15853261367978246682871855897285.jpg

1585326225433242389216806151619.jpg

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
@Lukaranger The squared foam weather strip is supposed to go along the top of the bulk head angle bracket (between it and the topper to help seal). There is also a wider thin foam strip that goes on the back of the bracket where the mounting holes are that sits between the angle bracket and the back of the truck bed.

For the shims I had some strips pre-applied as well. I also had extra left over. What I did is take the other strips and cut them into squares and placed two on top of one another on the backside of the beds rail edge where I placed the clamps. This helped to keep the thin metal edge from bending and allowed me to torque down the clamp without it tightening down at an angle. It also allowed me to get the clamp's teeth high up on the grooves and keep the MX$'s rails nice and level with the bed.

Last edited:

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the weather strip goes on top or under the bulkhead rail?
Just edited my post to be more clear. The weather strip (the thicker squared one, not the thin wider one) goes on top of the bracket and is sandwiched between the angle bracket and the MX4's top to create a seal.

Lukaranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT Sport
Install complete (for now).......fairly confusing instructions included. I was originally going to get the shop where I purchased it to install but the ongoing virus ended that idea, luckily the store was atleast open for me to pickup the cover....and I saved myself 100 bucks doing the install myself.
Must have been some old stock...box had Feb 2019 on it.

I`m not happy with how the clamps sit, some do not catch enough of the bed metal....I think I will take a dremel and file down the clamps like someone else suggested, to allow more bite.
Just not sure how much of the cover is suppose to sit on the tailgate?
Shims ended up not being that much of an issue.
Was missing 1 screw for the buckle latch.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Install complete (for now).......fairly confusing instructions included. I was originally going to get the shop where I purchased it to install but the ongoing virus ended that idea, luckily the store was atleast open for me to pickup the cover....and I saved myself 100 bucks doing the install myself.
Must have been some old stock...box had Feb 2019 on it.

I`m not happy with how the clamps sit, some do not catch enough of the bed metal....I think I will take a dremel and file down the clamps like someone else suggested, to allow more bite.
Just not sure how much of the cover is suppose to sit on the tailgate?
Shims ended up not being that much of an issue.
Was missing 1 screw for the buckle latch.
As someone else on here suggested, remove about 1/16” from the clamp and it will work perfectly. I can’t thank him enough for the suggestion. Clamps work great after that. Game changer. Use the bigger foam included to cover the holes in the front corners.

Note: Just remove material from the clamp to just above the first line if that makes sense. It doesn’t take much. Do one and try it.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Thanks, I also read that earlier. To be honest didn't even look/notice the holes, will have to take a closer look I guess.
They really don’t leak much without them but it is pretty dry if you use them. Look up in the corners and you will see a rectangular hole.

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
I feel the company does have some quality control issues with their packaging. [When] I went to install as the first step (again) it was missing the two washers that sandwich the well-nut, 4 in total.
I was missing the same two washers. I called to have them send me two more and I received two packages containing two sets of the Front bolts that are hand tightened from underneath the cover and make a connection of the top tonneau cover and side rails. So, I had a total of four of those sent to me. Luckily, those knobs use washers that fit just fine.

Aliby

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4, Tow package, Magnet with Black Sports package
I have installed my MX4 and it seems to be ok. However, when I fully open it, it rests on the third brake light and not on the window. Do others experience the same? I don't know how much I can shift it towards the tailgate, but that might help a little.

Aliby

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4, Tow package, Magnet with Black Sports package
Alright starting the mx4 install....
And in the attached picture, are those the shims that are suppose to by added to the side rails? The side rails already have the same type applied to it.

15853261367978246682871855897285.jpg

1585326225433242389216806151619.jpg
Shims are placed in a number of locations:
  1. There are some added to the bottom of the corner brackets, below the plastic caps so that they side is level. Do it both front and rear
    Screenshot_20200418-154650.jpg
  2. Add shims at the center clamp, between the plastic and metal, before you attach the side rails. I had to use two doubled up to get the thickness.
    Screenshot_20200418-154726.jpg
  3. There should be shims all along the side rails, as in your photo, However, the factory is not following their own guidelines. These should be in line with the bottom of the rail, not the top edge. See the shim guide sheet under Ford Ranger. I detached and moved the shims to the bottom edge and then the side rails are well positioned when tightening the clamps.
    Screenshot_20200418-155108~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20200418-155037.jpg
  4. The two large (square) foam pieces are for the front corners to seal the holes at the edges of the bulk head. I don't think it will be effective so I used a different seal, but Bakflip is copying the Truxedo X15 "block seals" . See @Clump post.
    Real Truck has an install video of the Truxedo X15. They show adding "block seals" at the front corners before the brackets go in.
    block-seal-2-jpg.jpg

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
I have installed my MX4 and it seems to be ok. However, when I fully open it, it rests on the third brake light and not on the window. Do others experience the same? I don't know how much I can shift it towards the tailgate, but that might help a little.
My MX4 rests on the glass just above the sliding rear window. I suspect yours could be pulled out towards the tailgate a bit more. Maybe? I have the 5 foot bed. If it’s not adjustable, I would call BakFlip and speak to a tech. They seem friendly enough to help out.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Ok, after reading through some of the oddities folks have encountered in this thread, I'm convinced that the Gator FX and the BakFlip MX4 are exactly the same cover.

And I don't mean just that one is a copy of the other or something... the pictures of the instructions posted above are *exactly* like the ones I received with my Gator FX. (Same steps, same illustrations, etc). Mine was also missing 2 washers for the bulkhead gap filling piece just like someone reported above. The shims they sent are exactly the same, and there was already shim material installed on the rails, just like in the pictures above. I have the same foam rectangles that I guess are used to fill the gaps left at the front corners. I also had a bit of trouble getting the clamps to fit, and considered cutting them down some just as above. I received the exact same chart in my set of instructions that lists where the shims are supposed to be installed.

Also, on Friday afternoon I put on my corona mask and ventured out to Lowes to pick up wiring for my bed lights. In the parking lot I walked past another ranger that looked to be exactly the same as mine except for the exterior color (black vs blue). This black Ranger had the BakFlip installed on it, and I slowed down a bit and took a look at it as I walked past... could swear it is *exactly* the same thing I have installed. The only difference I've found anywhere are logos.

Am I nuts?

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine does this as well. I tried adjusting it so that it would rest on the window but then it would overhang too far on the tailgate. With that said...I haven't had any issues with it resting on the brake light, the rubber bumper keeps it safe. I have hauled furniture with it up resting on the light for 3 hrs (over two mountain passes) with an average speed of 75MPH.....no issues.
Sponsored