BAKFLIP MX4 INSTALL

DANGERRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Just got my truck last week and had the MX4 ready to go. The install sheet doesnt say whether to use the angle shims but the rails came with them pre-installed. The rails wont stay level which makes me think the shims arent needed on the ranger- the bed rails are pretty much vertical on the inner surface. I also have trouble clamping because there is a space between the bed rail cap and the metal bed. Anyone have shims for between the metal and clamp come with their kit? Mine didnt. Pretty frustrating because the bakflip instructions are pretty generic. The ford hard folding tonneau instructions for the G2 show a shim and also dont mention the accessory rail that sits at the front of the bed.

Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Just got my truck last week and had the MX4 ready to go. The install sheet doesnt say whether to use the angle shims but the rails came with them pre-installed. The rails wont stay level which makes me think the shims arent needed on the ranger- the bed rails are pretty much vertical on the inner surface. I also have trouble clamping because there is a space between the bed rail cap and the metal bed. Anyone have shims for between the metal and clamp come with their kit? Mine didnt. Pretty frustrating because the bakflip instructions are pretty generic. The ford hard folding tonneau instructions for the G2 show a shim and also dont mention the accessory rail that sits at the front of the bed.

I had the same thing. I noticed that the side rails don't sit perfectly level at the front where the mounting plates are that you attach the knobs to tighten down and hold the cover in place at the front. I pretty much installed each side rail, got the wife to hold on to each bolt at the front while I got the knob on each side started while pushing up on the rail plate so the bolt would stick far enough through to screw on.

Didn't tighten them down completely. Just lightly snug. Made sure everything was lined up and then one at a time re-attached each bed rail clamp on both side to make sure they were on correctly. One I made sure the panels locked in correctly at each point and the alignment was good front and back, then I tightened up the knobs at the front. I open and close mine a lot. Zero issues so far.

Good luck!

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
I had the same thing. I noticed that the side rails don't sit perfectly level at the front where the mounting plates are that you attach the knobs to tighten down and hold the cover in place at the front. I pretty much installed each side rail, got the wife to hold on to each bolt at the front while I got the knob on each side started while pushing up on the rail plate so the bolt would stick far enough through to screw on.

Didn't tighten them down completely. Just lightly snug. Made sure everything was lined up and then one at a time re-attached each bed rail clamp on both side to make sure they were on correctly. One I made sure the panels locked in correctly at each point and the alignment was good front and back, then I tightened up the knobs at the front. I open and close mine a lot. Zero issues so far.

Good luck!
Thanks.
I am going to have an MX4 here waiting when my ranger arrives.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I’ve got my MX4 waiting for my truck due end of May.

WhiteLightning19

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase

I had a heck of a time with mine as well. I ended up calling Back Industries and here there is an updated install sheet for the Ranger. The cover should have come with (6) 6"x1/2" rubber strips and (4) 9"x1/2" rubber strips. Place the 6" strips on the rails directly below the existing strips, this keeps the rails from "twisting". The other 9" pieces get cut and inserted between the bedrail and bed gaps to keep the bed rails from bending.

IMG_20190422_164413_01.jpg

Attachments

OP
OP

DANGERRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I had a heck of a time with mine as well. I ended up calling Back Industries and here there is an updated install sheet for the Ranger. The cover should have come with (6) 6"x1/2" rubber strips and (4) 9"x1/2" rubber strips. Place the 6" strips on the rails directly below the existing strips, this keeps the rails from "twisting". The other 9" pieces get cut and inserted between the bedrail and bed gaps to keep the bed rails from bending.

IMG_20190422_164413_01.jpg
That's awesome! Thanks for all of that info and the instructions. I didnt get those instructions with my kit or the longer shims but I did get the shorter shims and the large foam squares with no instructions with what to do with them.

I noticed that neither of your attachments said to put the extra shims below the factory installed angle shims. Did they tell you that on the phone? Some other posts mentioned being told to remove them... seems like it would be a tighter fit without them against the rail.

It's pretty frustrating that there are multiple instructions going around. I even saw another post from Ford with their official accessory hard folding cover which is actually just a G2.

Anyways, I'll give them a call tomorrow and ask about getting the extra materials. My parts bag says rev C and I think someone else said they're on rev E or something.

WhiteLightning19

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
That's awesome! Thanks for all of that info and the instructions. I didnt get those instructions with my kit or the longer shims but I did get the shorter shims and the large foam squares with no instructions with what to do with them.

I noticed that neither of your attachments said to put the extra shims below the factory installed angle shims. Did they tell you that on the phone? Some other posts mentioned being told to remove them... seems like it would be a tighter fit without them against the rail.

It's pretty frustrating that there are multiple instructions going around. I even saw another post from Ford with their official accessory hard folding cover which is actually just a G2.

Anyways, I'll give them a call tomorrow and ask about getting the extra materials. My parts bag says rev C and I think someone else said they're on rev E or something.
No one told me what to do with the short rubber pieces figured it out on my own. Cover fits beautifully even with them installed. Without any of them installed I would be a bit concerned about the rails being too wide and then getting some play in the cover. I spoke to a Nicole at Bak and she was great help.

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I had one of the first kits shipped by BakFlip. Didn't have the instructions for the shim strips...lol! So I never installed them. My rails sit flush and my clamps underneath are solid. Zero issues with the cover. No twisting I can see. Guess I got lucky with my install.

OP
OP

DANGERRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
After speaking with then today they sent me a hand drawn diagram basically showing the shim fitting between the plastic bed cap and the bed rail metal. Made since and I inserted the shims in the space and clamped down. The rail still draws downward when the clamps tighten. I'm almost positive it's the angle shims. The other thing that is killing me is one of my rails didnt have a clean cut on the end so it is gouging my tailgate just to slide into place with all of my weight pushing forward. Even after I used a hacksaw on the forward portion that wasnt clean it still is too long.

20190430_153014.jpg

20190430_152958.jpg

20190430_152944.jpg

20190430_152914.jpg

20190430_152905.jpg

FX4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2019 Ford Ranger Screw cab Lariot FX4
After speaking with then today they sent me a hand drawn diagram basically showing the shim fitting between the plastic bed cap and the bed rail metal. Made since and I inserted the shims in the space and clamped down. The rail still draws downward when the clamps tighten. I'm almost positive it's the angle shims. The other thing that is killing me is one of my rails didnt have a clean cut on the end so it is gouging my tailgate just to slide into place with all of my weight pushing forward. Even after I used a hacksaw on the forward portion that wasnt clean it still is too long.

20190430_153014.jpg

20190430_152958.jpg

20190430_152944.jpg

20190430_152914.jpg

20190430_152905.jpg
Looks like you left out the shims that go between the metal bed and the plastic cap. Also looks like you overnighted the clamps. The only get tightened to 10 ft pounds which isn't very tight.

OP
OP

DANGERRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
That's actually with the bed rail shims. The problem, I think, is the factory installed angle shims that prevent it from sitting flush against the bed rail. I'm still waiting for them to actually come out and say it. You're probably right about the torque - since it's not sitting flush the only way to get it to not fall off is to tighten it down with a ratchet.

This is what I just got from them - still doesnt explicitly say to remove the angle shims but the profile image depicts the rails flush with the side of the bed cap meaning I'd have to remove them. Since the 1 rail I did receive is too long they're looking to send me a replacement - might be a set so hopefully they come without the angle shims if that is the case.

Attachments

OP
OP

DANGERRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Called back to follow up on the replacement rails and talked to a different rep. Without hesitation said pull off the angle shims. After doing so it fits like a glove. I had to cut away a bit of the overspray from the bedliner near the tailgate so it fits flush but otherwise it fits great and stays completely level with the clamps tightened.

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Installed my BakFlip F1 today. Boy the instructions sucked. I made a few mistakes but go it done.

WhiteLightning19

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone experience leaks in the front corners during rain? Mine leaks quiet bad at both front corners. Around where your supposed to install the foam blocks.
Sponsored