Bakflip F1 vs Bakflip MX4?

d1rewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat (White Platinum)
Guys,

See (https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...n-leaking-tonneau-cover-avoid-bakflip-g2.3068). I bought the rebranded G2, but have a lot of leaking problems even though it was installed by the dealer.

They've agreed to take it back, and I'm trying to find a more water tight cover. Both the MX4 and the F1 seem to get pretty good reviews...can anyone recommend between the two? And can anyone tell me if they fit better where the cover meets the tailgate (the G2 has gaps in the corners which allows water through).

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I had a G2 on my F-150. Never had an issue with water entry except at the tailgate if that single rubber strip that meets the tailgate got bent or mangled due to closing the last panel before the tailgate. That's why I went with the MX4 with the unique seal that allows you to open and close the tailgate with the cover completely closed.

The Ranger has significant gaps in the tailgate area. A lot of members have added weather stripping around the tailgate area to seal it off. I haven't done that but will eventually add it. I have seen a trickle of water in the bed area with the MX4, but nothing from 6 inches in front of the tailgate to the front of the bed. And that's after hosing down the truck. I don't blame that on the cover.

ajfullwd

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ranger 3.2 XL Plus (4x4)
The MX4 and F1 tonneau cover models are very similar in design but there are some key differences to be aware of. https://4wdlife.com/bakflip-mx4-tonneau-cover-review The F1 has a rougher texture, while the MX4 has a smoother appearance. The MX4 also features a new design that allows the tonneau cover to remain latched in position when the tailgate is closed, the F1 must be lifted up to close the tailgate and then snapped into position.

Aside from the aesthetic differences, the F1 cover is rated more highly against dents and scratches and should hold its form a bit better in tough performance conditions.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
I have the F1 and it leaked like a sieve, well maybe not that bad but still. So I went to WalMart and bought some clear silicone sealant and hit all the corners. Made sense until I realized there was a HUGE gap between the tailgate and the bed so I got this https://www.amazon.com/Extang-1140-MaxSeal/dp/B000CN5QG8 and between the silicone and the seal I have a pretty watertight bed.

Remember it is not a automobile trunk that is designed to be 100% water tight but you can achieve 90+% water tight...

Oh BTW, it is a minor PITA to have to lift the 3rd panel every time you close the tail gate and with that in mind I still would choose the F1.

Last edited:

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
The new F1 you don't have to lift to close. It's like the mx4. Mine doesn't require it lifted.

psweeney

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 (well, it started that way)
I have an MX4 and I really like it. No serious leaking issues, just a bit of drip at the corners occasionally but it's a truck so I think that's pretty darn good considering the functionality it has. Not great at keeping dust out when offroading in baja though. Way better than open though!

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I am happy with my MX4. It leaks a little at the front. No big deal. The look is great.
Sponsored