First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Metallic Gray
Occupation
Retired
I installed the MX4 this evening. The YouTube video's made it seem easy enough. However, the install per the instructions differs a lot from the video.

Video's show installing a front accessory rail. No rail with my kit. Must have been value engineered out.

Weather stripping is different ,actually seems more robust. Just not sure if it will stay stuck to my Rhino Liner on the front bed rail. If you have a drop in liner, directions say you don't need the weather strip??? Really? How would it seal water tight then? Says nothing about a spray on liner.

In addition to the install instructions, it came with two sets of supplemental instructions and extra parts to install that the videos do not cover. Extra shims that you may or may not need along with several scenario's indicating when you may need, but not necessarily. Not very clear.

The cover does look great but if you are buying one, forget watching the videos and make sure you read through all the supplemental instructions that come with the cover. I didn't the first time and had to take it off and install some brackets that are only covered in the supplemental instructions, not mentioned on any video's and are only for the Ford Ranger.

Now I admit, I'm one of those old guys that any project around the house takes three times the amount of time I thought it would, and involves three or four trips to the hardware store. I just had higher hopes for this install based on the YouTube video's that made it look so simple.

I'm still happy with the cover. Just frustrated with the multiple supplemental directions that don't tie together.
Sponsored

Jmarler

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Certified Hacker. Retired Veteran
I installed the MX4 this evening. The YouTube video's made it seem easy enough. However, the install per the instructions differs a lot from the video.

Video's show installing a front accessory rail. No rail with my kit. Must have been value engineered out.

Weather stripping is different ,actually seems more robust. Just not sure if it will stay stuck to my Rhino Liner on the front bed rail. If you have a drop in liner, directions say you don't need the weather strip??? Really? How would it seal water tight then? Says nothing about a spray on liner.

In addition to the install instructions, it came with two sets of supplemental instructions and extra parts to install that the videos do not cover. Extra shims that you may or may not need along with several scenario's indicating when you may need, but not necessarily. Not very clear.

The cover does look great but if you are buying one, forget watching the videos and make sure you read through all the supplemental instructions that come with the cover. I didn't the first time and had to take it off and install some brackets that are only covered in the supplemental instructions, not mentioned on any video's and are only for the Ford Ranger.

Now I admit, I'm one of those old guys that any project around the house takes three times the amount of time I thought it would, and involves three or four trips to the hardware store. I just had higher hopes for this install based on the YouTube video's that made it look so simple.

I'm still happy with the cover. Just frustrated with the multiple supplemental directions that don't tie together.
Thanks for the info. I have one on order.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi Mike,

I did my Revolver X4 myself but it takes some dexterity. There was a bulk head assembly that was in the bottom of the box without explanation after I completed the install and necessitated my removal and reinstallation with the bulk head in place. I like my Revolver, but the instructions are not very good in my opinion. I voiced my complaint and they indicated they would do better...and I think they did. The termination at the tailgate was raw aluminum, and they now have a finish piece. I asked for this but they never delivered....So as an aftermarket supplier...they are about on par...not awful but not great either.

best.
Phil

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
I bought mine used from another member on here, and it went together very easily. He included the first half of the instructions, but I was able to find the last parts online. It took about an hour, but came out great. There were 3 total unique Ranger parts in the instructions, that were included with mine. There were 2 brackets installed in the rear by the tailgate for support, and the front rail you referenced not receiving. It basically just fills the gap between the plastic side rails and the painted metal front member. Maybe they started adding thicker foam to fill the gap.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
I remember having to bounce around with supplemental instructions a bit as well but went together easy enough. Been on since April '21 and so far all good. I just don't think the fully open position was planned out enough for the Ranger. If I needed to use my full bed I think it would need more padding than was provided or it will crack my 3rd brake light.

OP
OP
FeudalCross

FeudalCross

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Metallic Gray
Occupation
Retired
Hi Mike,

I did my Revolver X4 myself but it takes some dexterity. There was a bulk head assembly that was in the bottom of the box without explanation after I completed the install and necessitated my removal and reinstallation with the bulk head in place. I like my Revolver, but the instructions are not very good in my opinion. I voiced my complaint and they indicated they would do better...and I think they did. The termination at the tailgate was raw aluminum, and they now have a finish piece. I asked for this but they never delivered....So as an aftermarket supplier...they are about on par...not awful but not great either.

best.
Phil
Thanks Phil,

I haven't really done much like this in the past and the first things I did on the Ranger were the engine cover and tailgate damper. Those were so easy I think I set myself up by going on to something that was a little more complicated.

I had to laugh at myself though because I bought a bookshelf for my office at work and it came in today. Some assembly required of course. Generic directions, pictures of a 72" bookshelf but mine was only 36. Locations of the pins and assembly bolts were impossible to make out in the directions, and the part illustrations weren't even close to what came with it.

Anyway, I got through the MX4 installation and it looks great so I'm happy. (the bookshelf came out ok too. )

Next up is the Raptor grille. I'll take my time, watch the video's and be patient with the lower clips. Wish me luck.

briwill70

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Yep. Same issues. Factory spray in liner and front seal does not stick very well. Center shims were not included so made my own. Otherwise not too difficult but did take longer than expected.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Glad to see this as I just ordered one from BakFlip today, 2 weeks for delivery. The video from Bakflip does make it look easy, they did mention they upgraded the bulkhead seal. Did you watch a 3rd party YouTube Vid? or the one produced by Bakflip?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Glad to see this as I just ordered one from BakFlip today, 2 weeks for delivery. The video from Bakflip does make it look easy, they did mention they upgraded the bulkhead seal. Did you watch a 3rd party YouTube Vid? or the one produced by Bakflip?
Hi Jesse,

In my case...no videos. I review the included instructions and if lacking...just throw them away an forge ahead. Most stuff is straight forward...

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yep. Same issues. Factory spray in liner and front seal does not stick very well. Center shims were not included so made my own. Otherwise not too difficult but did take longer than expected.
On the spray in liner you would have to use some Adhesive Prep solution to get the chemicals off of the surface to promote adhesion.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Jesse,

In my case...no videos. I review the included instructions and if lacking...just throw them away an forge ahead. Most stuff is straight forward...
I am the same way, been building or repairing stuff for so long I just take it apart or spread out the parts and figure it out. Did that today with the fridge, evap fan was making a squealing sound, just took out the ice maker, motor, evap coil cover and then the fan. One of those stupid push on fan blades, worked out on the shaft (17 years old) and was hitting the shroud. All good now.

MapMaker7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor

I 100% agree with your statements and I too experienced the same issues with the instructions and the Stage3 video. I even called Bak Industries to tell them I was missing the bulk head and to get a replacement. They told me this part was unnecessary with the latest version (which matched my model #).

After preceding with the install, I also realized I needed to use the extra parts and supplements instructions for the cover to fit right. After following the directions and using the included shims, I was not satisfied with the fit. After a quick trip to a nearby hardware store for some ticker shims (bought 2x the amount of shims that was included) my cover now fits excellent. I haven’t had any issues with water leaking in at all (car wash with pressure washer).

Overall this took about about 3.5 hours to complete with extra shims but I’m really happy with the end product.

Jmarler

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
You will like the way it looks though. Very nice. Glad I went with it. Just a challenge to put on. At least for me anyway.
Yeah I was thinking about paying to have it installed. It's to hot here even in the garage and I'll be sweating buckets. They just shipped mine though. It was backordered till the 20th.

Jmarler

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
I opened up the box and read the instructions. I have the plastic bed liner as well. Tried fitting the rail but its going to require trimming on the liner. So screw it, I called up a place that installs it. When I got here, I told him it was a ford ranger and he said those are a pain, I can see why you brought it in. I can either spend all day trying to install or spend money to have it done in an hour. If there was updated video I would keep trying myself. I don't want to deal with the liner either.
Sponsored