Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
They also keep deleting little features :rolleyes:
This^ I'm getting a 2021 and pissed at the deletes.

The one that I can't reinstall, that I find the most useful, is the heater wiper element. I've had that on many Subarus and it is awesome in winter. The others, meh...I can add them back if I want.

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
What are some of the other 2021 deletes, aside from the wiper heaters? (that's the only one i knew about)

At least they have some additions with Tremor, like the aux switchbox; that looks very useful. I'm hoping they can add the aux switch pod without the tremor package, as part of a custom order.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
What are some of the other 2021 deletes, aside from the wiper heaters? (that's the only one i knew about)
Image 612.png

. . . plus the other changes/deletes they won't publish.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer

At least they have some additions with Tremor, like the aux switchbox; that looks very useful. I'm hoping they can add the aux switch pod without the tremor package, as part of a custom order.
What I know of (and these are based on the Lairat)
* Heated wipers
* Shift lever PRNDS lights (mid-2020 delete)
* Middle tie down bracket in the bed (can be added back for $68 see here)
* Insulated engine cover (can be added back for $64 see here)

I don't think you can order the Aux switch pad with a new non-Tremor Ranger, but I bet we can find the part numbers and piece it together. I agree this look useful.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
2019 May delivery...53,000 miles...zero problems...crap I swore it was 52k yesterday...when she hits 200,000 miles I'll sell you THE PERFECT RANGER...maybe... ?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
What I know of (and these are based on the Lairat)
* Heated wipers
* Shift lever PRNDS lights (mid-2020 delete)
* Middle tie down bracket in the bed (can be added back for $68 see here)
* Insulated engine cover (can be added back for $64 see here)
I think there were reports that the embossed seat backs and the little tray in the console also disappeared. I wouldn't expect adding the engine cover to be an option for long. (Why would they keep making the part?)

For some reason Ford issues a press release when they add exciting new features like another shade of grey, but not when they take stuff out--so it's hard to say what's been dropped.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I think there were reports that the embossed seat backs and the little tray in the console also disappeared. I wouldn't expect adding the engine cover to be an option for long. (Why would they keep making the part?)
For some reason Ford issues a press release when they add exciting new features like another shade of grey, but not when they take stuff out--so it's hard to say what's been dropped.
For the 2021 XLT 302A package, the passenger seat is now a 6-way rather than an 8-way (power seat back recline now manual?)
The pickup box delete is listed under XL trim on the 2021 order guide.

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
For the 2021 XLT 302A package, the passenger seat is now a 6-way rather than an 8-way (power seat back recline now manual?)
The pickup box delete is listed under XL trim on the 2021 order guide.
Not sure about the 2019 model but my 2020 XLT with the 302A package already has the manual recline seat back.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I saw that note, didn't understand it because there was never power seat back recline. I think maybe they count front/rear up down as two different ways? So 8 way was front up, front down, rear up, rear down, forward, backward, lumbar in, lumbar out. So then I'd guess they dropped the power lumbar for the passenger.

Nickles and dimes...

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I saw that note, didn't understand it because there was never power seat back recline. I think maybe they count front/rear up down as two different ways? So 8 way was front up, front down, rear up, rear down, forward, backward, lumbar in, lumbar out. So then I'd guess they dropped the power lumbar for the passenger.

Nickles and dimes...
I guess I must have 10-way seats in my Escape, as I have both power lumbar and power recline plus the usual front up/down rear up/down forward/backward.
They build 8 million vehicles a year worldwide. If they can shave $1.50 a unit off the cost to build, that's Bill Ford's $12 million compensation right there.
Seriously though, thru Ford Pass Connect, OnStar etc, manufacturers can track which features are being used in which regions and how often and on which models. This data helps them package options in a way that makes you buy hundreds or thousands of dollars of stuff to get the one or two options you want. So you want heated mirrors? $6K jump from an XL to a Lariat. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Reactions: EJH

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Are later years more reliable?
To answer your question from my personal experiences... No.

We ordered a 1985 S-15 Pickup, that was the 3rd year of production for the 1st gen S series pick up trucks. It was one of the most dependable trucks I've ever owned.

We ordered a 1993 GMC Jimmy, that was the last year of production for the first gen S series platform trucks. It was the biggest piece of shit we have ever owned. And it's why I drove Tacoma's from then until we bought our 2019 Ranger.

Our 2019 Ranger has been flawless... it's 14 months old and has 11,000 miles.

vittoesmith

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2919 SLT Ranger
Occupation
retired
What problems?

I have 20,000 miles on my 2019 and have had zero issues.
I have almost 20,000 miles and the only complaint I have is the AC. I live in Florida and when it gets around 85 degrees the AC doesn't perform good. I have had it in 2 times and they say there isn't anything wrong. I will probably have to wait until next summer to take it in again because it is cooling off here.

kep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Mine was built in Dec of 18, 1 issue of ice in the throttle body. Ford replace it and I've not had an issue since. 21,000 mile now.

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
I've got an early build '19. 22K miles with no issues save for a current software glitch in the Sync system.

Another way to look at this reliability thing is to think big picture. It costs huge bucks to bring a vehicle to market - even one built overseas for years prior to being "Americanized." In today's market with so many choices available, a manufacturer cannot afford to bring a vehicle to market with known problems, particularly at today's prices. The consumer won't stand for it and It would be death for the model. Yes, there can be bad units within every model, but overall, you need not worry.

Forum members are a very small percentage of the buying public but tend to be much more sensitive and vocal about issues. Members would scream bloody murder if a widget broke on every other model. Assuming you follow this forum you'd certainly be aware of those things and could govern your purchase accordingly.
Sponsored