Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
On 11 September, 2001, I was part of the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU). We were at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, 29 Palms, California, conducting a large field exercise - part of the final phase of pre-deployment training, before boarding ships headed to the Persian Gulf area. This was to be the final deployment for me. I was preparing to retire in 2003, after this deployment was complete.

In between preparatory tasks for the day’s training, I stopped by our operations tent, where the TV was tuned to CNN. The first tower was burning. People were, naturally, disturbed by what appeared to be a monumentally tragic mishap. As I chatted with the Operations Officer, a plane hit the second tower. Silence, followed by profane cries of disbelief. Nobody said it out loud, but we knew instantly that the first impact was no accident. We were under attack. Within minutes, all training was halted. We were at war.

All of the senior leadership was called to the Ops tent. We did a bit of proactive planning to recall all forces from the field and prepare for immediate transport back to our home base at Camp Pendleton. It took maybe an hour for the chain of command to respond, and tell us to continue our with our exercise, that our training would not be prematurely terminated.

Our training continued with an increased sense of seriousness and urgency, and we deployed as scheduled in 2002, participating in a joint exercise in Jordan, with the Jordanian army. I visited the ancient city of Petra. As our training was coming to an end, one of our units was attacked by what we later determined to be a group linked to Al Qaeda, and a couple of Marines were injured by small arms fire. It was a precursor for what was to come.

In the next cycle, in early 2004, we were sent to Iraq. We were in the Battle of Najaf (which, to my surprise, has its own Wikipedia page) and hundreds of smaller engagements in southern Iraq.

I’ve been told hundreds of times that I should have retired when I had the opportunity. I never considered it, and there were many others in the same boat. When the nation called, we didn’t turn away. I think often of the lives that were cut short, or irreparably damaged, in the carnage that followed. I’m one of those lucky people that always seem to be right next to the bad stuff, but never in the middle of it. I had an enemy mortar round impact about 25 feet from where I was standing. The impact was behind a knee-high wall of stacked stones. I walked away about half deaf, but otherwise uninjured. I’ve listened to sniper fire and RPGs pass overhead for hours at a time, but never been in the impact area. One Marine on my six-man team left with a Purple Heart medal; I have traumatic brain injury and tinnitus. It’s my fate. I retired in 2009, after being told that I would be processed for medical discharge if I didn’t leave voluntarily.

The faces and names of those who didn’t return are on my mind today. So many lives. So many shattered families. In and out of the military, all of us have paid a hefty price for being who we are, for being Americans. We have paid dearly for the privilege of living a life of liberty, in a country which has no equal. For me, today is another reminder of the cost. I hope that we never forget, and I hope that all Americans understand that attacks on us and our way of life will never end.

Freedom demands eternal vigilance.
SEMPER FI, BROTHER. UURAH.
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Lots of memories from back then. Started with my wife rousting me from bed to coming down stairs to see on TV the carnage unfolding. Also remember shortly afterwards hearing fighter jets with afterburners on flying over the house. The windows rattled and that’s when it sunk in we were under attack. Being from Boston it was all the more heart breaking.

As the day unfolded the events that transpired over the day came into perspective. Nothing would ever be the same again. 20 years later that’s certainly a reality too.

No matter what they will never be forgotten, God bless America, let’s roll…

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
My heart is broken for the victims. The thoughts & fears they had. Many had a long time to think before they perished. God Bless them and their families. I pray we never see this again. God give us strength and courage. Forgive us where we’ve sinned.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My heart is broken for the victims. The thoughts & fears they had. Many had a long time to think before they perished. God Bless them and their families. I pray we never see this again. God give us strength and courage. Forgive us where we’ve sinned.
I think the saddest thing I saw was when they showed people jumping from the top floors. I cant imagine what was going through their minds having to make that choice of staying inside and burning to death or jumping to your death. It breaks my heart every time I think back on that moment and the pain that was caused. :crying:

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
I think the saddest thing I saw was when they showed people jumping from the top floors. I cant imagine what was going through their minds having to make that choice of staying inside and burning to death or jumping to your death. It breaks my heart every time I think back on that moment and the pain that was caused. :crying:
Still one of the worst things to see, even 20 years later. I was watching the 60 Minutes special of the interviews of firefighters talking about that sound - absolutely, heartbreaking.
Sponsored