Anyone else think the next gen trucks (4G ranger, new Taco, new Canyon) are WAY overpriced with crap gas milege ?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
yes
everything is over priced now.
so 1932, during the depression era one us dollar had more value than it does in now in 2023. The 2023 dollar would have to bring about 22 dollars more to buy what 1 1932 dollar would. sure during depression dollars were hard to come by. go forward a decade, 1942 usd was still worth almost 20 dollars in 2023 money. by 1982 the dollar was worth about 3 dollars compared to 2023. in 1932 you could buy any Ford for under 2k. most under 1k. so if we take the 22 x dollar power of 1932 money and do some sloppy math to 2023 dollar power we get 44k. while i agree ford is over priced, it could be argued that they are also just pacing the demise of the dollar. 44k seems pretty high for several of fords offerings esp a ranger.
1685024363702.png
Sponsored

CATX

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger TURBO
Assuming tech packages are similar why does Porsche cost 3-4-5 times what a Prius costs? Build costs are probably similar, they both utilize an engine and it doesn't take longer or all that many more parts to produce one over the other.

Why does a ZL1 Camaro cost almost 3 times what a basic V6 Camaro costs? Same body obviously with a different hood. End of the day a motor is a motor and aside from the blower there really isn't any excuse for the huge jump in price other than because they can.

I agree to a point. Obviously cost of production has gotten more expensive, so part of the increased cost is that. How much they are gouging us on top of that is anyone's guess. But if there's plenty of competition, they shouldn't be able to get away with that for long. But then when production is limited because of supply constraints then I guess everyone can gouge a little.

One thing that we can all agree on is that we have some brilliant politicians on the case and all of this will get better soon.

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
They've got so expensive now they finance (good thing it's 0%) them for 3 years! Verizon doesn't even give you an option to do two years anymore.

I dropped Verizon a couple years ago for Google Fi. Better reception with unlimited data for $44 per month (including any fees and taxes)
Google Pixels are optimized to work on the network but other phones do work as well.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I dropped Verizon a couple years ago for Google Fi. Better reception with unlimited data for $44 per month (including any fees and taxes)
Google Pixels are optimized to work on the network but other phones do work as well.
I was going to drop Verizon but when I called they hooked me up with a good plan. Unlimited everything on a family plan and we pay $41.14/each. It's an over 55 plan (benefits of getting old) and only one person has to be that age so me, Annie and her daughter are on it.

Verizon always seems to get a better signal than most other carriers. My friend lives 2 streets over and he had AT&T and would drop calls all the time. He switched to Verizon 3 years ago and has never had a problem. I guess it's all area dependent too.

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
So I just did the build and price on the 2024 Ranger. There wasn’t a whole lot to add to the Ranger Raptor. It had nearly everything I’d want at its base price. So I think my final was nearly $59k. It left me wondering how much the pricing was determined by consumer response to the unveiling (which was lackluster at best).

I also ran numbers on an XLT with the High trim package, the advanced towing package, FX4 package, and the bed liner and sidebox steps. Also had to add the numerical key pad (which I actually love). Roughly $48.5k.

If an equipped XLT is that much, and a Raptor is only $59k, I have no idea what the point of the Lariat is (for my personal use case). It’s Obviously going to price in between in a way that makes it a total price ladder to the Raptor.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
We just got ours paid off last month. and I refuse to pay $1,200+ for a crappy phone, that's all they are now. We usually wait until there's a BOGO sale on a model that 1-2 years old as I could care less if I have the latest and greatest new one. But some will stand in line the night before waiting for them every year. I'm sue these are the same ones who swear they'll never be able to retire and will work until they drop too. 🤦‍♂️ Priorities!
I miss my old case hardened flip phone. Drop kick it across a praking lit. Pick it up and make a call.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I miss my old case hardened flip phone. Drop kick it across a praking lit. Pick it up and make a call.
Same here! This was one of my favorite phones ever! Pretty much indestructible, it would last forever and fit perfect in you hand and pocket.

1685102607771.png

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
That's why I keep them at least 5 years, still have 2.5 years to go on my iPhone 12.
My next phone will be an iPhone 13 mini unless Apple comes back around to making the mini series.

I've BTDT with the big screen phones and have no desire for another one.

My current 12 mini is just right sized and the 13 mini is the same size so all my accessories will fit.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My next phone will be an iPhone 13 mini unless Apple comes back around to making the mini series.

I've BTDT with the big screen phones and have no desire for another one.

My current 12 mini is just right sized and the 13 mini is the same size so all my accessories will fit.
I'll have to look into the mini. I have a 12 pro and I don't want anything larger than that and would prefer much smaller. Pretty soon we'll be carrying around a phone the size on an iPad.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I'll have to look into the mini. I have a 12 pro and I don't want anything larger than that and would prefer much smaller. Pretty soon we'll be carrying around a phone the size on an iPad.
The iPhone 14 isn't available in the mini and the 13 is apparently becoming scarce.

I just checked BestBuy and they don't even offer the 13 mini on their website, at least not for my area.

Now this has me as paranoid about iPhone minis as about thermonuclear 10R80 transmissions when they hit 100k.

I may have to go get a 13 mini today and trade my Ranger while I'm out.

After two years of having a smaller 5.4-inch iPhone, with the iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 13 mini, Apple did away with it because of lackluster sales. In its place, Apple introduced the iPhone 14 Plus, which was a big-screen version of its base-level iPhone 14. Despite also experiencing lackluster sales, Apple is expected to still stick the size and release an iPhone 15 Plus. This means that, unfortunately for fans of small phones, there will be no iPhone 15 mini.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Mileage on the Ranger is the same as the F150. Ford is pretty much screwing us over for the sake of F150 sales. F150 being "most popular truck" they dont want the Ranger to directly compete.
As far as price, inflation is hitting everyting hard and i think most of it is exaggerated, they are increasing profits way more than the cost of supplies... it is crazy how much the price went up in the couple years ive been looking.
Part of it is funding the relentless march to BEV everything. Do a build & price on an F-150 with comparable factory equipment as your Ranger, if you think the Ranger's MSRP is high. The shear dollars help, but the psychological comparison between ICE and BEV is also important "...Well, shoot! the Lightning is only a few grand more than a Lariat..."

The Baaken oilfield was too costly to develop until gasoline prices got over $2 a gallon.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
Part of it is funding the relentless march to BEV everything. Do a build & price on an F-150 with comparable factory equipment as your Ranger, if you think the Ranger's MSRP is high. The shear dollars help, but the psychological comparison between ICE and BEV is also important "...Well, shoot! the Lightning is only a few grand more than a Lariat..."

The Baaken oilfield was too costly to develop until gasoline prices got over $2 a gallon.
I also was scratching my head when reading the “I’ll just get a F150 for that much” comments. So I did a apples for apples build and price for a 24 Ranger XLT high FX4 and the same for a 23 F150 XLT high FX4. It ended up being roughly $15K-$16K more for the F150. Exact same spec as close as I could build it. I’m sure the Lariat and Raptor price differences are even exponentially larger.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
My 21 XLT cost me around 32k in 2021. THAT is what these trucks should cost in my eyes. I priced a 6G XLT out right around 42k with similar options. What the hell am I getting for the extra 10 grand? A bedside step?? A tailgate damper?? I mean the Chevy ZR2 base price is only a grand more than the 6G Lariat base price. I don't come in here often but quite frankly, what the fuck.

thorn726

First Name
thorn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger xl
I also was scratching my head when reading the “I’ll just get a F150 for that much” comments. So I did a apples for apples build and price for a 24 Ranger XLT high FX4 and the same for a 23 F150 XLT high FX4. It ended up being roughly $15K-$16K more for the F150. Exact same spec as close as I could build it. I’m sure the Lariat and Raptor price differences are even exponentially larger.
i'm curious how much the options matter to most of you?? for me a huge part of why i go Ranger instead of f150 is i live in a city with no parking, i go with xl wouldnt mind xlt but lariat? no way would i pay for that. ... so if i had parking and was looking at say an xlt ranger but an f150 xl was 5-6 thousand more ... i would probably take an f150 xl over a ranger xlt or lariat. to me those options feel like being hosed // i dont really need them..
Would any of you trade xlt / lariat options for a bigger truck at similar price? (sorry that is slightly off topic)
Sponsored