Anyone else think the next gen trucks (4G ranger, new Taco, new Canyon) are WAY overpriced with crap gas milege ?

SSingh1975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
['21 Ford Ranger XLT (Tremor) , BMW IX Electric
'21 Tremor here and will be paid off by '24. Was seriously thinking to do a trade and jump onto the next gen Taco (or mid grade Ranger) but after seeing current prices (MINUS dealer markups) and really below average gas mileage, I'm thinking to perhaps just put a front 2" level kit and put skinny 33s and call it a day on a paid off truck. I've been getting 21mpg combined (17k miles now) and really love it since my truck has now transformed into a 'commute' work truck.

From what I've been following, either of the next gen trucks (with mid grade options) will easily set ya back $50k (and dealer markups will be totally insane especially on the Taco and Raptor..I'm thinking $55k+ easily). I bought my Tremor for $38k with zero markups and a 1% APR. Really basic interior, no 3d camera, no luxury heated seats or heavy duty suspension but for a $38k vehicle, it's been super reliable, gets me to all my fishing holes and camping trips and I've done several apartment hauls for a college kid....all with really good gas milege for a mid size truck.

I'm sure a lot here will be trading and getting the new gen Ranger or Taco but man, blows my mind that by 2024, mid size trucks will now cost what full size trucks cost 3 years ago.

Cheers!
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I was seriously considering getting a Ranger Raptor and I'm still on 2 dealers lists. But after my accident with my '19 I now have a '23 Lariat Tremor and I'm reconsidering it. So far I love this truck and it's really all I need. The Raptor would be nice but this one's now paid for and I really don't want to get into another loan at these high rates plus the crazy high sales tax and vehicle tax we have here along with insurance.

Like you said the prices are just stupid high now and then the gas mileage (not that you buy a truck or a Raptor for good gas mileage) are not getting any better. The ZR2 is really nice but you're looking at $52K-$55K and it's only getting 16 mpg! o_O Honestly I don't like the look of the 6G (except for the Raptor) and the only thing that "might" persuade me to jump over would be when the PHEV Ranger comes out. For now I don't see any real "must haves" that make me want to switch over to the 6G or any other manufacturers model.

thorn726

First Name
thorn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger xl
Mileage on the Ranger is the same as the F150. Ford is pretty much screwing us over for the sake of F150 sales. F150 being "most popular truck" they dont want the Ranger to directly compete.
As far as price, inflation is hitting everyting hard and i think most of it is exaggerated, they are increasing profits way more than the cost of supplies... it is crazy how much the price went up in the couple years ive been looking. Worse for me, i wanted a specific color and options supercab. Had to chase it down and run to dealer when i found one even used the price was Very High. For new the dealers were asking for "dealer premium" of up to 10k over sticker !! i did have one dealer agree to more like 2k over sticker price but it was gone in a day, i couldnt get to dealer in time. Was at the dealer last week they had at least 20 new F150s and only one used Ranger. Those bigger trucks are even more expensive it is nuts but point being these mid size trucks are popular with those of us who want them and they know it, but supply is low so they will charge us a premium.

Russd

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vw bus 4runner
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Trucks have increased about 1000$ a year it seems. Maybe even a little more. I don’t think I’d get another Ford with the way they treat customers with mark ups and dealer service being so so. I’ll stick with what I have for now. Over 50k for a taco or Chevy? Crazy

XL GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger STX
Occupation
Civil Engineering Firm
No way in H*LL would I pay $50k + for a Ranger or ANY of the other mid-size offerings. For a full-size, . . . .maybe. Those greedy b*stards have gotten WAY out of hand with their prices which is why I plan on keeping my new (at the time), under $29k Ranger for years to come. Plus I paid it off 3 months after I bought it so I'm not even thinking about getting into those kind of payments.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
'21 Tremor here with 32k miles. Man, I still love mine as much as day 1, if not more. While the Ranger Raptor is appealing (and the only next gen Ranger I visually mostly like) I just don't think the new trucks add enough value for me. No doubt the mid-size truck market is red hot right now, a lot of cool trucks coming out, I just don't think the value is there. A front locker is all I would really want in my Ranger but also haven't NEEDED it either.

The Tremor was so good out of the box. All I really did quickly into ownership was a 1" level, 1" wheel spacers and 33" ko2. It has been a rock solid truck for me.

What I think is funny is how a lot of mid-size truck owners that hated on the Ranger 4 banger turbo are now only left with those power plants in their new truck. I hated the decision Ford made till I drove one personally, then it made sense. How the tables have turned.

CATX

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger TURBO
All things being equal (interior amenities, engines, tech), why should a midsize truck cost less than a full size truck? Because there is less steel and aluminum? I assume the cost of extra steel and aluminum is pretty negligible. Other than raw materials, it seems like production costs would be similar .

Tell me what im missing here. Now that midsize trucks are getting bigger and full size trucks are getting too big, I think we may start to see prices converge. There comes a point when paying more for something just because it’s bigger no longer makes sense.

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
We need diesel that gets high teens towing and 30 mpg highway, green agenda will not allow.
We suffer while rest of world still pollutes.
Yes a diesel Ranger is sweet.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Trucks have increased about 1000$ a year it seems. Maybe even a little more. I don’t think I’d get another Ford with the way they treat customers with mark ups and dealer service being so so. I’ll stick with what I have for now. Over 50k for a taco or Chevy? Crazy
Imagine think only Ford screw its customers with high ADM's. Toyota, although a well-built truck in the past, as the Toyota tax that people have been willing to pay for years. But I guess it must be better because it costs more.

All things being equal (interior amenities, engines, tech), why should a midsize truck cost less than a full size truck? Because there is less steel and aluminum? I assume the cost of extra steel and aluminum is pretty negligible. Other than raw materials, it seems like production costs would be similar .

Tell me what im missing here. Now that midsize trucks are getting bigger and full size trucks are getting too big, I think we may start to see prices converge. There comes a point when paying more for something just because it’s bigger no longer makes sense.
My guess is as in most things, labor costs is the biggest contributor to price of products, especially in auto manufacturers. Thanks UAW!

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 APG Ranger Lariot
We spent a pretty penny for one of those APG kits and I love the truck so much now I doubt we'll ever get rid of it. Plus, we only owe 10k on it and I don't want to take anymore auto loans on especially with current prices and finance rates.

I love all the new trucks coming out don't get me wrong. But a paid off car is the best car haha!

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
There are several factors in the cost of any vehicle, or anything really. The two biggys are costs to produce, very much driven by inflation. The second is market demand, what are consumers willing to pay.

Inflation we all know is rampant right now. Do you really think the cost to produce a Ranger is that much different than a F150, with similar features? I know you can get more features on an F150 than on a Ranger. That explains an incremental cost difference, not the size of the truck. As was mentioned earlier the incremental cost of materials in the constuction of the base vehicle in minimal.

Now comsumer demand! We are a free market society. Demand has always driven prices, the haves can charge what ever the have nots (wants) are willing to pay. Not saying the manufactures done drive this by controling availability. Another factor in demand is trucks which use to be a work vehicle have now become a family lifestyle vehicle. This has driven the demand for more and more "luxury" features and options, making a truck or SUV almost a manditory second vehicle. The fact that no car made today can tow a family size RV anymore has driven this shift.

Throw all this together with the ever present want for bigger, more powerful, faster. Not to mention the status need for the latest and greatest. Oh yeah, throw in a little greed by the haves.

This is where we are! Like it or not.

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
vanity and the desire for nice new things drives an interest in the next gen mid-sizes, for me.

good sense says that i should sit tight with my 5g ranger because:
- arguable better exterior styling
- an interior with components that are more than enough to get the job done
- a maintenance plan provided by Ford at no cost for the next 55k miles (i got lucky here)
- well over halfway paid off AND an interest rate at about 2.5% (untouchable right now)

the next gen mid size trucks look nice, but just don't seem to merit jumping from a truck that already has all of the above listed items. the range toppers like the raptor/trd pro/trailhunter are exceptions to this, but the prices are quite high.

i would really struggle to spend $55k+ on a midsize truck when that would pay for a very nice F-150 XLT, Tundra SR5, or Titan Pro-4X. Just my opinion and not trying to poo poo on anyone who might feel differently.

speaking of full size truck prices: local ford dealers are buried in f-150's. most are marked off $7,500-$10,000 right now. furthering my stance that i'd consider a full size over a range topping midsize.

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
There are several factors in the cost of any vehicle, or anything really. The two biggys are costs to produce, very much driven by inflation. The second is market demand, what are consumers willing to pay.

Inflation we all know is rampant right now. Do you really think the cost to produce a Ranger is that much different than a F150, with similar features? I know you can get more features on an F150 than on a Ranger. That explains an incremental cost difference, not the size of the truck. As was mentioned earlier the incremental cost of materials in the constuction of the base vehicle in minimal.

Now comsumer demand! We are a free market society. Demand has always driven prices, the haves can charge what ever the have nots (wants) are willing to pay. Not saying the manufactures done drive this by controling availability. Another factor in demand is trucks which use to be a work vehicle have now become a family lifestyle vehicle. This has driven the demand for more and more "luxury" features and options, making a truck or SUV almost a manditory second vehicle. The fact that no car made today can tow a family size RV anymore has driven this shift.

Throw all this together with the ever present want for bigger, more powerful, faster. Not to mention the status need for the latest and greatest. Oh yeah, throw in a little greed by the haves.

This is where we are! Like it or not.
i'll also add to this: pricing ladders. these manufacturers know what they're doing. the better they can set their pricing ladder, the more they can get people to reach higher. you can have a $48k Ranger Lariat, but for about $4k-$8k more you can have a well loaded F-150 XLT. if you're paying $48k for a vehicle, what's another $4k? mathematically it's just under 10%, which is substantial, but to most consumers their desire compels them to reach higher. the psychology of us consumers is wild.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
i'll also add to this: pricing ladders. these manufacturers know what they're doing. the better they can set their pricing ladder, the more they can get people to reach higher. you can have a $48k Ranger Lariat, but for about $4k-$8k more you can have a well loaded F-150 XLT. if you're paying $48k for a vehicle, what's another $4k? mathematically it's just under 10%, which is substantial, but to most consumers their desire compels them to reach higher. the psychology of us consumers is wild.
So very true, it is all about consumer wants vs needs, upselling. Yes some of the price oncreases are driven by govermental mandates, but those tend to be across the board increases
Sponsored