Anyone else think the next gen trucks (4G ranger, new Taco, new Canyon) are WAY overpriced with crap gas milege ?

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Like you said the prices are just stupid high now and then the gas mileage (not that you buy a truck or a Raptor for good gas mileage) are not getting any better. The ZR2 is really nice but you're looking at $52K-$55K and it's only getting 16 mpg! o_O Honestly I don't like the look of the 6G (except for the Raptor) and the only thing that "might" persuade me to jump over would be when the PHEV Ranger comes out. For now I don't see any real "must haves" that make me want to switch over to the 6G or any other manufacturers model.
Dave, you were right. That Polish side is winning! I like that side of you.
Sponsored

Dynawide

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Manager
All things being equal (interior amenities, engines, tech), why should a midsize truck cost less than a full size truck? Because there is less steel and aluminum? I assume the cost of extra steel and aluminum is pretty negligible. Other than raw materials, it seems like production costs would be similar .

Tell me what im missing here. Now that midsize trucks are getting bigger and full size trucks are getting too big, I think we may start to see prices converge. There comes a point when paying more for something just because it’s bigger no longer makes sense.
Assuming tech packages are similar why does Porsche cost 3-4-5 times what a Prius costs? Build costs are probably similar, they both utilize an engine and it doesn't take longer or all that many more parts to produce one over the other.

Why does a ZL1 Camaro cost almost 3 times what a basic V6 Camaro costs? Same body obviously with a different hood. End of the day a motor is a motor and aside from the blower there really isn't any excuse for the huge jump in price other than because they can.

Dynawide

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Manager
I too have gotten very sick of the "COVID" and "supply chain issues" excuses.
I got that excuse the other day at Menards, looking for some siding for my garage & was told they couldn't get it because of covid...I didn't even bother asking any further questions. Funny thing is another Menards about an hour north of me had everything I needed.
Its all BS excuses.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
I don't know how you ppl are getting 24.5MPG. I am 2WD FX2 and I can't get better than 17-18mpg average. I have a baby lift and LT ATM Hancooks. I will say my commute is 90% street and a lot of stop and go
Yep, stop and go and short trips really kills the Rangers fuel economy. I see 17-18 mpg in my Ranger regularly.

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
They charge those prices because there is always someone that will pay it.

What they don't seem to get is if they drop the price there will be 20 people willing to pay the lower price, and not only do they make more money they get more exposure.

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
They charge those prices because there is always someone that will pay it.

What they don't seem to get is if they drop the price there will be 20 people willing to pay the lower price, and not only do they make more money they get more exposure.
I couldn't agree more, on both of your points.
That said, we're all idiots with our money, regardless of our income. And I'm a prime example....I just bought a Samsung s23+ for $1400....just to carry Mark Zuckerberg around in my pocket. We complain about dealership markups, but we buy $1400 phones that only cost $15 to produce, and we feel excited to do it.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
I'm waiting for someone here to post their new Ranger Raptor with a $70k markup price they paid for on a 5% apr financing for next 6 years ....for a mid size truck.
Just saw an article recently about new car pricing. And how companies are offering, and people are taking.... 8 year loans. On a freaking vehicle. :facepalm:

Damn some folks need a serious finance class.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
That said, we're all idiots with our money, regardless of our income. And I'm a prime example....I just bought a Samsung s23+ for $1400....just to carry Mark Zuckerberg around in my pocket. We complain about dealership markups, but we buy $1400 phones that only cost $15 to produce, and we feel excited to do it.
I hate phone shopping every bit as much as car shopping.
EVERY bit as much.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
EVERY bit as much.
More. Hate it much more. Always feel like I am getting gouged. Every. Single. Time.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
When I bought my 2019 fx4 lariat it was on a lot with 20+ other rangers. Its msrp sticker was 47k. I paid 38k. It would be over 50k for a similiar 6g and no way I would get the deal I got on my 2019. Im good for at least another 50,000 miles or so.

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I gave up on the phones that cost over $1000. They frame it by saying you only have to pay $40 per month for the phone....a little more than $1 a day. We all know it will be replaced in 1 year.
I switched to the Pixel a couple years ago. They are 1/3 the price of the other phones and do everything the others do...and sometimes better.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
EVERY bit as much.
We just got ours paid off last month. and I refuse to pay $1,200+ for a crappy phone, that's all they are now. We usually wait until there's a BOGO sale on a model that 1-2 years old as I could care less if I have the latest and greatest new one. But some will stand in line the night before waiting for them every year. I'm sue these are the same ones who swear they'll never be able to retire and will work until they drop too. 🤦‍♂️ Priorities!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I gave up on the phones that cost over $1000. They frame it by saying you only have to pay $40 per month for the phone....a little more than $1 a day. We all know it will be replaced in 1 year.
I switched to the Pixel a couple years ago. They are 1/3 the price of the other phones and do everything the others do...and sometimes better.
They've got so expensive now they finance (good thing it's 0%) them for 3 years! Verizon doesn't even give you an option to do two years anymore.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
That's how they get you. They make you think your 2 years old phone is obsolete, when it's every bit as good as the new model. That's until an 'important' software update suddenly slows your phone down to a crawl.
Sponsored