Anyone else think the next gen trucks (4G ranger, new Taco, new Canyon) are WAY overpriced with crap gas milege ?

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
i'm curious how much the options matter to most of you?? for me a huge part of why i go Ranger instead of f150 is i live in a city with no parking, i go with xl wouldnt mind xlt but lariat? no way would i pay for that. ... so if i had parking and was looking at say an xlt ranger but an f150 xl was 5-6 thousand more ... i would probably take an f150 xl over a ranger xlt or lariat. to me those options feel like being hosed // i dont really need them..
Would any of you trade xlt / lariat options for a bigger truck at similar price? (sorry that is slightly off topic)
Not too much. Looking at the current options on 6G, the STX would suit me fine.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My 21 XLT cost me around 32k in 2021. THAT is what these trucks should cost in my eyes. I priced a 6G XLT out right around 42k with similar options.

What the hell am I getting for the extra 10 grand? A bedside step?? A tailgate damper?? I mean the Chevy ZR2 base price is only a grand more than the 6G Lariat base price. I don't come in here often but quite frankly, what the fuck.
To be fair Josh the damper adds about $9K and it well worth it! Anything else is just such a waste of money. šŸ¤‘šŸ˜…

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
i'm curious how much the options matter to most of you?? for me a huge part of why i go Ranger instead of f150 is i live in a city with no parking, i go with xl wouldnt mind xlt but lariat? no way would i pay for that. ... so if i had parking and was looking at say an xlt ranger but an f150 xl was 5-6 thousand more ... i would probably take an f150 xl over a ranger xlt or lariat. to me those options feel like being hosed // i dont really need them..
Would any of you trade xlt / lariat options for a bigger truck at similar price? (sorry that is slightly off topic)
Just curious, why wouldnā€™t you look at an XL Ranger? Especially if youā€™re comparing a XL F150. Also the price difference between a base bare bones XL Ranger and bare bones XL F150 is about 9K ( both crew cabs)

thorn726

First Name
thorn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger xl
Just curious, why wouldnā€™t you look at an XL Ranger? Especially if youā€™re comparing a XL F150. Also the price difference between a base bare bones XL Ranger and bare bones XL F150 is about 9K ( both crew cabs)
sorry i didnt word any of that very well// actually i have an xl ranger.. my point was about price and size and it did not go across very well. .. let me try again: if i had unlimited parking space, i would probably buy an XL f150 before i would buy a ranger xlt or lariat if that makes any sense...

Last edited:

taralon

First Name
Jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Crew Cab FX4
Occupation
IT
The poor gas mileage and high price goes hand in hand with the bloating size. The 5g Ranger is comparable in size with 8th/9th gen f150s. If you want good fuel economy you have to shrink the size. The trend though is to bigger and taller.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
sorry i didnt word any of that very well// actually i have an xl ranger.. my point was about price and size and it did not go across very well. .. let me try again: if i had unlimited parking space, i would probably buy an XL f150 before i would buy a ranger xlt or lariat if that makes any sense...
Price and size is what the mid-size truck is all about. Iā€˜ve had three F150ā€™s, but they finally outgrew my garage and I work in an area where parking is a PITA with a full size truck. When the Ranger returned, I went that direction and itā€™s been perfectly fine for my usage. Folks complain about the price increases in mode size trucks and I get that, but even a modestly equipped F150 runs $60k plus and Iā€™m not going to pay that if I donā€™t need the added capability (towing, etc.) of a full size truck. Itā€™s not easy to find a Lariat level F150 under $70k MSRP.

btsmith52

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger, 2016 Ford Fusion
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
Feature for feature, the new 2024 rangers are a few thousand more than the 2023s. Problem is that they took away the lower end and created more high end. Car manufacturers seem to also advertise the "Raptors" and the "Tremors" and really cool variations that 99% of the market does not need. I people had the discipline to get what what they need, the manufacturers would focus on lower end more. It is frustrating for sure. Hopefully they will reintroduce the extended cab model with steelies. There's a work truck market to capture out there.

GoldenAtlas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tundra
Feature for feature, the new 2024 rangers are a few thousand more than the 2023s. Problem is that they took away the lower end and created more high end. Car manufacturers seem to also advertise the "Raptors" and the "Tremors" and really cool variations that 99% of the market does not need. I people had the discipline to get what what they need, the manufacturers would focus on lower end more. It is frustrating for sure. Hopefully they will reintroduce the extended cab model with steelies. There's a work truck market to capture out there.
my frustration has been the opposite. Truck manufacturers in America have focused on my mom, who is the majority of truck buyers. Terrified of dirt roads and using her full size truck for Costco runs. Iā€™ve had trucks in Namibia and Georgia (country not state) and the build quality is just so much better. The Nissan and Mitsubishi trucks I had there had payloads of 900kgs in compact size. Meanwhile my old full size state side tundra had a 1300 lb payload. Sure the America car had a moon roof, power seats, electric transfer case (way more convenient than getting out in the mud to put the truck in 4x4) and Bluetooth radio. But Iā€™ve always dreamed of importing one of those trucks I had over there for my needs which is driving around forest service roads and hauling too much camping crap. Of course why are the trucks so different? Well the American consumer is more like my mom and the Namibian consumer is more like me. So the market adjusts.

Thatā€™s not to say the consumer is always right. I remember being up in northern Ontario at a construction site and the contractor had bought the cheapest F150s. So they all had all season tires with 2wd. Whenever it snow which was like twice a week the entire site shut down because none of those trucks could get any traction in the snow.

GoldenAtlas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tundra
Price and size is what the mid-size truck is all about. Iā€˜ve had three F150ā€™s, but they finally outgrew my garage and I work in an area where parking is a PITA with a full size truck. When the Ranger returned, I went that direction and itā€™s been perfectly fine for my usage. Folks complain about the price increases in mode size trucks and I get that, but even a modestly equipped F150 runs $60k plus and Iā€™m not going to pay that if I donā€™t need the added capability (towing, etc.) of a full size truck. Itā€™s not easy to find a Lariat level F150 under $70k MSRP.
correct me if Iā€™m wrong but doesnā€™t the f150 crew cab 6 foot bed have only a 1700 lb payload rating. About the same as the ranger?

obviously f150 is way more comfy in the back seat and tows more but also costs like 15k more. I built a 250 on the ford website when shopping myself that was cheaper than a 150. Problem was Iā€™d have to park that thing somewhere. Otherwise it made me drool

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
'21 Tremor here with 32k miles. Man, I still love mine as much as day 1, if not more. While the Ranger Raptor is appealing (and the only next gen Ranger I visually mostly like) I just don't think the new trucks add enough value for me. No doubt the mid-size truck market is red hot right now, a lot of cool trucks coming out, I just don't think the value is there. A front locker is all I would really want in my Ranger but also haven't NEEDED it either.

The Tremor was so good out of the box. All I really did quickly into ownership was a 1" level, 1" wheel spacers and 33" ko2. It has been a rock solid truck for me.

What I think is funny is how a lot of mid-size truck owners that hated on the Ranger 4 banger turbo are now only left with those power plants in their new truck. I hated the decision Ford made till I drove one personally, then it made sense. How the tables have turned.
I wondered myself about the logic of a turbo 4 in a truck and then I drove mine for the first time and wondered no more. Way better than any vehicle I've ever owned, in terms of power, tech and utility. I was thrilled to be able to order mine the way I wanted, with a supercab, and I as well want for nothing more. The only thing I'd really want more than what I have is of course the Ranger Raptor but money would have to be growing on trees around here for that.
Otherwise, I'll hold steady with what I have and enjoy it.

pwrplay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
my frustration has been the opposite. Truck manufacturers in America have focused on my mom, who is the majority of truck buyers. Terrified of dirt roads and using her full size truck for Costco runs. Iā€™ve had trucks in Namibia and Georgia (country not state) and the build quality is just so much better. The Nissan and Mitsubishi trucks I had there had payloads of 900kgs in compact size. Meanwhile my old full size state side tundra had a 1300 lb payload. Sure the America car had a moon roof, power seats, electric transfer case (way more convenient than getting out in the mud to put the truck in 4x4) and Bluetooth radio. But Iā€™ve always dreamed of importing one of those trucks I had over there for my needs which is driving around forest service roads and hauling too much camping crap. Of course why are the trucks so different? Well the American consumer is more like my mom and the Namibian consumer is more like me. So the market adjusts.

Thatā€™s not to say the consumer is always right. I remember being up in northern Ontario at a construction site and the contractor had bought the cheapest F150s. So they all had all season tires with 2wd. Whenever it snow which was like twice a week the entire site shut down because none of those trucks could get any traction in the snow.
Must have been a contractor from Southern Ontario lol. Everyone I know in Northern Ontario either has stud-able AT tires or dedicated stud-able winter tires.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
I wouldn't be surprised if real world fuel economy isn't a touch lower in the 6G versus 5G Ranger in the right conditions. The 5G has superior aerodynamics and that can help out cruising on the open road at highway speeds.

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
As far as price, inflation is hitting everyting hard and i think most of it is exaggerated, they are increasing profits way more than the cost of supplies..
The reality is that automakers use the popularity of trucks and SUVs subsidize the more fuel efficient vehicles that they must sell to accommodate the CAFE standards.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
I wondered myself about the logic of a turbo 4 in a truck and then I drove mine for the first time and wondered no more. Way better than any vehicle I've ever owned, in terms of power, tech and utility. I was thrilled to be able to order mine the way I wanted, with a supercab, and I as well want for nothing more. The only thing I'd really want more than what I have is of course the Ranger Raptor but money would have to be growing on trees around here for that.
Otherwise, I'll hold steady with what I have and enjoy it.
Yeah I agree, the Ranger's engine caught me by surprise. Especially coming from friends with tuned Evos that had turbo lag.

We needed a better tow vehicle than our 2016 Honda Pilot AWD which has a v6 and 9spd. On paper the power numbers were super close but went on here and saw the trailers people towed, I knew logically the 19ft we had would work out then. Plus I do know about engines and know a turbo 4 tuned for truck duties would have the torque come in low.

The Ranger power wise blew the Pilot out of the water. Only thing that bugs me is Ford's tuning of the throttle input but that can be fixed with aftermarket. I just drive in tow/haul mode all the time and that does a great job.

I will say, once I see these new Ranger and Tacos on the street, that may be what makes me finally do the tune on the Ranger lol

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
correct me if Iā€™m wrong but doesnā€™t the f150 crew cab 6 foot bed have only a 1700 lb payload rating. About the same as the ranger?

obviously f150 is way more comfy in the back seat and tows more but also costs like 15k more. I built a 250 on the ford website when shopping myself that was cheaper than a 150. Problem was Iā€™d have to park that thing somewhere. Otherwise it made me drool
Payload is comparable depending on configuration, but the F150 engine choices make it capable of towing much more.
Sponsored