Anyone else getting a lot of paint chips on their ranger?

Gims04

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2008 Pontiac G8
I have noticed a lot of chipping as well. From the good to the side panels, especially on the edges of the doors. I started being extra cautious of opening my door because the paint chipping is getting so bad.

Not paint related but a side note, I also noticed the rear door seals getting holes in them.
Sponsored

RangerRick19

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Have to agree I’ve noticed a bit of chipping in the 4 months I’ve had it . Even a chip on the tailgate!!! I don't even know how. It just seems like poor paint quality.

T Bone

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Southern Adirondack Mountains of upstate NY
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired!!!!
i have paint chipping on the tailgate, rear passenger door, drivers door, etc, said something at the dealer about the paint sucking and they just smiled and looked at me. i drive 5 miles to and from work, all paved roads. I have no idea how it happens but really pisses me off.

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I'm waiting on a bug deflector from Ford Points.
Did you guys use the bumper stops that were included?
I was afraid they would damage the paint.

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Yup.

I asked the service manager about it when I had the truck in for an oil change and he said it looks like it was from a weed wacker. Told him I don't remember the last time anybody ran a weed wacker in my driveway or any of the places I park. I think Ford needs to do something about this. My 2013 F-150 did not chip like this truck is doing. They have a paint issue.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have a couple, maybe two or three, chips that I've noticed. I'm positive one was from when they installed my cap. I have a couple of scratches, people hitting my truck when they are in a parking lot. Nothing Ford can do about that. I f*cking hate people.

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
The paint on these trucks is absolute garbage. No idea what to do about it. Had it for a year and there is plenty of rusty spots already. I know the entire thing will need to be painted in a year or two.

Johnv1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I have one on my passenger side rear door. Kind of annoying but I feel like after enough highway driving it’s bound to happen. I have ppf to go on the front of the hood and fenders. Hope to take a stab at it this weekend.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know if the paint on these is water based? I know there is a big push to move to water based automotive paints and I'm wondering if that is part of the reason the paint seems so fragile.
My paint is chipping in odd spots just like many report. I found a chip on the roof of my truck the other day - I have no idea how that happened!

Johnv1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Does anyone know if the paint on these is water based? I know there is a big push to move to water based automotive paints and I'm wondering if that is part of the reason the paint seems so fragile.
My paint is chipping in odd spots just like many report. I found a chip on the roof of my truck the other day - I have no idea how that happened!
everytime I hear a rock hit the windshield and fly up and over I fear that I will get roof chips.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
everytime I hear a rock hit the windshield and fly up and over I fear that I will get roof chips.
Mine was towards the back of the roof, but who knows. When I travel down the FS gravel roads, I heard bumps and gravel and it sounds bad, but those areas area holding up pretty well - it is the weird spots that get me - like one at the top of the rear door on the driver side - I got that one shortly after I got it. No idea how that one happened either.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
After reading reports of paint being easily damaged, I had my dealer install PPF prior to delivery.

PPF on full front end back to top of wheel wells, mirror caps, full lower sides, rockers, headlamps, fog lamps, A-pillars, door edges, door handle cups.

For more protection, I later added RokBlokz XL mud guards, Bushwacker sill/rocker Trail Armor, and side body moldings.

Image 1412.png

Image 1409.png

Image 1410.png
Love those sill protectors!!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I just finished a complete detail last week and I don't have any chips on mine. Been off road many times and up north to Flagstaff/Sedona too. No mud or front bug guards either. Now hopefully I didn't just curse myself and get a big chip today.

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK
After reading reports of paint being easily damaged, I had my dealer install PPF prior to delivery.

PPF on full front end back to top of wheel wells, mirror caps, full lower sides, rockers, headlamps, fog lamps, A-pillars, door edges, door handle cups.

For more protection, I later added RokBlokz XL mud guards, Bushwacker sill/rocker Trail Armor, and side body moldings.

Image 1412.png

Image 1409.png

Image 1410.png
What's the part number for the sill guards?

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney

Image 1412.png

Image 1409.png

Image 1410.png
How much were you charged for the PPF?
Sponsored