Rock chips on bed

DerangedPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody else getting a bunch of rock chips on the bottom of the bed just in front of the rear wheel? It's on both sides. I do have mud flaps but it must be from the larger KO2s. Still seems like a lot for the truck having a little more than 4000 miles.

I'm going to see how much it'll cost to get it fixed at the body shop and then put a large strip of that clear plastic to protect that area.
IMG_20200607_151457.jpg
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

I've had rock chips in that place, and basically the whole rocker panel and lower doors. Ended up doing the whole rocker panels in bedliner. I do also have some plastic strips going up higher in that area too. I have mudflaps as well with stock Hankooks. Disappointing, but there are fixes. If you're handy enough, I'm sure you could touch it up and add the plastic yourself. Save a bunch of money that way.

OP
OP

DerangedPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I ordered the stuff last night. Also ordered enough to do the rockers. We'll see how it turns out.

Deleted member 1634

Yeah, I ordered the stuff last night. Also ordered enough to do the rockers. We'll see how it turns out.
It was a lot easier than I had imagined it was going to be. And as someone who has never done anything like that before, I didn't have any issues at all. So for someone who has done that kind of stuff before it'll be a breeze. And a heck of a lot cheaper than bringing it to the local shop here to have it done.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
yup, mine is trashed far worse than yours. They will basically tell you too bad... Best fix is to bedline your brand new truck, or have someone install the 3M film (the real thick stuff).

The little section with plastic film on it is also chipped pretty bad on mine. For me to get home, I have to drive down 2 miles of dirt roads (In Michigan that means made out of small stones). So it's either drive < 15 mph or get stones hitting the paint. None of my other vehicles have had this issue though. My wife drives a 10 year old edge and it's paint is fine aside from where my kids have had their way with it.

Deleted member 1634

yup, mine is trashed far worse than yours. They will basically tell you too bad... Best fix is to bedline your brand new truck, or have someone install the 3M film (the real thick stuff).

The little section with plastic film on it is also chipped pretty bad on mine. For me to get home, I have to drive down 2 miles of dirt roads (In Michigan that means made out of small stones). So it's either drive < 15 mph or get stones hitting the paint. None of my other vehicles have had this issue though. My wife drives a 10 year old edge and it's paint is fine aside from where my kids have had their way with it.
I was over in Michigan this past weekend, and drove down a few "dirt" roads I used to drive growing up. I had forgotten just how bad those roads were/are. haha But anyways, it was satisfying to hear the dull knock of rocks hitting my new bedliner job than the usual metallic tink of it taking the paint off like it used to!

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I was watching Dukes of Hazzard reruns and lamenting that we can’t do what they did with their cars with modern paint. It’s too bad really, not that I want to baja around dirt roads all the time, but I’d like to not have to worry when I do.

Last edited:
OP
OP

DerangedPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I got the 3M stuff. I live in rural WI, Amish country, and we have mostly gravel roads.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Anyone plastidip their rig? I live the color but I’m tempted to get mine done in olive drab with the cap in flat black.

OP
OP

DerangedPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone plastidip their rig? I live the color but I’m tempted to get mine done in olive drab with the cap in flat black.
Funny, I used the Dupli color version yesterday to protect that area until I can install the 3m stuff. They have a gloss white that isn't very far from Oxford white.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
my 47 coats are starting to chip already. So once the dark-grey smooth durasomething bediner is back in stock I'll be doing that.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
Mine are trashed like that even with the gator back mudflaps sticking out a lilttle and step bars. they should have used that color matched bumpy protectant crap they used on the underside of the bed after the tires in that leading edge area, it would have helped more than that film stuff on there. Thicker paint would have been nice as well.
Sponsored