First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
Found two rock chips on the hood today. It's metallic, what do you guys recommend for fixing this.

20200325_175722.jpg
Sponsored

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
I'm starting to see some chips on my Magnetic hood edge. I'm going to give this a try as well.

Starting to think about getting a hood protector too...

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
Found two rock chips on the hood today. It's metallic, what do you guys recommend for fixing this.
What SubVet said, or the Motorcraft Touch-up Paint.

I typically buy the matching motorcraft touch-up paint bottle for my Fords. When I detail them and notice a chip, I’ll pull it out and put a spot of paint on it as best I can.

if your truck or car is used, chips will happen. As much as that sucks!

when I am on a highway and coming up on one of those trucks with the cloth cover on top, you know you are in for it. I can start to hear the small rocks pinging me. Most times I hold back out of range until a larger vehicle passes me and I can tuck right into his rear bumper to get by and let him take the hit.

At those moments, I’d rather be riding my Harley with an open face helmet on and take the flying paint chip makers in the face! That will heal!

anyway, I have found the motorcraft touchup bottles work well for me. I know the dr color chip product is very good as well.

Reactions: SGG

Deleted member 1634

I noticed this type of thing the other day as well. Handful of nice little chips on the hood. Luckily the hood is aluminum so any chips we miss won't really result in any issues. But I'm still going to try and find and fix as many as I can along the way.

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
Going to the dealer tomorrow for the tailight recall and oil change. Going to bring up the paint chipping to them even though I know it won't do any good. I had my 2013 F-150 until I traded it in on this truck and never got a single chip like I am seeing on this truck.

There is an issue with the paint on these trucks.

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
Dealer says looks like inpact chips maybe from someone weedwacking. Says I should touch them up. No $hit.

I love Ford vehicles. I have had a 2013 F-150 Ecobeast, a 2015 Mustang GT Premium and now a 2019 Ranger.

If I start seeing more chips it will be my last.

MasiJC

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew Lariat Sport - Magnetic
I am experiencing the same thing on my hood.
My buddy owns a body shop and I asked him about it.

He said he has been seeing a lot of car manufacturers using lower quality paints/clear coat on newer vehicles.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I am experiencing the same thing on my hood.
My buddy owns a body shop and I asked him about it.

He said he has been seeing a lot of car manufacturers using lower quality paints/clear coat on newer vehicles.
My guess is the move to water based paints is the cause. I don't know for sure they use water based paint on the Ranger, but I know everyone is moving that direction. Eventually they will become more durable, but right now they are not as durable as solvent based paints.