Anyone else getting a lot of paint chips on their ranger?

Ranger703

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT (Fx4, Blackout, Tow)
Does anyone know of low profile mud guards that flair outward instead of downward? I would prefer to not have mud guards that drag or hit rocks when I go off roading but would like a list more protection.
Sponsored

Martyd

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL,2018 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
retired
It may help to mention paint color. On the Mazda CX-5 forum I belong to Soul Red seemed to have more problems than other colors.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Love those sill protectors!!
Thanks! I was pleasantly surprised how well made they are and how well they fit. Thick durable material that is showing no wear or scuffs. No more worrying about kicking the paint climbing in and out. They're a little tricky to install with all the 3M tape strips.

I'm waiting on a bug deflector from Ford Points.
Did you guys use the bumper stops that were included?
I was afraid they would damage the paint.
I've always thought the bumpers prevent the deflector from flexing at high speed so it won't hit the paint ? Had them stuck to my '94 Jeep ZJ Grand Cherokee hood for 23+ years. If I knocked one off while washing, never noticed a spot.

What's the part number for the sill guards?
I have a SCab. Bought mine from Amazon

SCab - Bushwacker 14091 Black Trail Armor Rocker Panel & Door Sill Protectors for 2019 Ford Ranger

SCrew - Bushwacker 14099 Black Trail Armor Rocker Panel & Door Sill Protectors for 2019 Ford Ranger

How much were you charged for the PPF?
Prior to delivery (and paint chips) dealer took my SCab to a professional PPF installer. They have templates for everything. They dial in the part they want to cover, push a button, out it pops all pre-cut. Paid more through the dealer, think it was over $1K but they did a nice job. Need to look very close to find an edge.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
I'm waiting on a bug deflector from Ford Points.
Did you guys use the bumper stops that were included?
I was afraid they would damage the paint.
Put the bumpers on the deflector’s back side

Shadowdraxx

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Bum
If it makes anyone feel better both my S550 mustangs had thin paint, my Premium White one once had a chunk come peeling right off the bumper from the jetwash.

So I 100% agree with doing what ever u can because other than that I think these rangers are built pretty well imo and will give us many years of great service.

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
My Ranger is suffering from way to many paint chips. Little over a year old and closing in on 20,000 mlies, by contrast, my wife's 2016 Town and Country has 70,000 miles and zero paint chips. My bike is a 2004 with 80,000 and no chips. I don't recall these types of chips on any of my many cars I have owned through the years. The Ranger chips down to bare metal like there was only one thin coat of paint. And the floor board standoffs are almost down to bare metal. So Thursday, it goes in for service and I will have them make a note of the paint damage and see what happens. I think a walk around the dealer lot to look at other used vehicles will be enough to prove something is wrong with this paint.

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know if the paint on these is water based? I know there is a big push to move to water based automotive paints and I'm wondering if that is part of the reason the paint seems so fragile.
My paint is chipping in odd spots just like many report. I found a chip on the roof of my truck the other day - I have no idea how that happened!
It doesn't matter if the paint is water based which it probably is. The clear coat is still solvent based which protects the finish. The clear coat on today's new vehicles is unbelievably thin, it's how they reduce costs because the stuff is expensive.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
It doesn't matter if the paint is water based which it probably is. The clear coat is still solvent based which protects the finish. The clear coat on today's new vehicles is unbelievably thin, it's how they reduce costs because the stuff is expensive.
Interesting - I assumed if the paint was water based, the clear would be water based as well.

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting - I assumed if the paint was water based, the clear would be water based as well.
Not yet. They're working on it but the quality isn't there yet. I apply The Last Coat Black Ice to mine which seems to help. It's not a miracle protector but it's much better than regular wax.

IMG_20200913_153116.jpg

IMG_20200913_153110.jpg

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
Lot's of rock chips on mine.. Much more so in the 6 months I've owned it than the 7 years of owning my mk3 focus.. what gives?!

skumancer

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX 2015 (Global Ranger)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, my paint has been shit since day 1. It's got chips everywhere. Part of the reason why I don't care off-roading it hard is because the pain was garbage to begin with ?

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT supercab ,2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
My truck has developed more paint chips in one year than my old 2011 ranger did in eight years. They are both the same color. The 2019 ranger had chips in it on delivery, I'm assuming from the transport from the factory. The paint is almost unbelievably thin.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Anyone else getting a lot of paint chips on their truck? It's not normal how many I am getting.
Yep. I opened the driver door and then the passenger door in two separate incidents inside my garage. Each door edge struck an object which put a micro chip (not very big or serious) on each edge. I was surprised because the doors didn't seem to strike the objects hard enough to cause even this small amount of damage. On top of that, my dealership gives every new vehicle a protective coating on the paint before they are delivered to the customer. I am being very careful to park the Truck in isolated areas of parking lots so as to protect the paint from any dings.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
My truck has developed more paint chips in one year than my old 2011 ranger did in eight years. They are both the same color. The 2019 ranger had chips in it on delivery, I'm assuming from the transport from the factory. The paint is almost unbelievably thin.
Likewise, my previous 2011 Ranger (Silver) seemed to have much tougher paint and less likely to chip. At a glance, at least the paint on the 2020 looks very smooth and even without blemishes.
Sponsored