First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Porsche Macan S
Occupation
Wholesale Distribution
i think that was the whole point of the thread....to just do it.
no different than any other customized modifications to set your vehicle apart.
why do women get DDD breast implants? to get people to stop, stare and talk about them. Otherwise they're pointless and add nothing.
^^^
Let's be honest. The 2.3 turbo is great while mated to the 10sp. Why do any swaps in cars that aren't ancient (25yr+) for efficiency or such. I'm in CA, so it would have to be a newer motor than my 2021, so honestly it would just be for the sake of projects sake and seeing the end result.
Most projects and engine swaps are inefficient when talking money. But most projects are fun and create things that haven't been seen before.
Ford openly claimed with the new 150 Raptor, they closely watched the aftermarket community and mimicked that when designing the upcoming model (ex. 35" tires available from factory).
Sponsored

Venom_z89

First Name
Edson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger fx4
Occupation
Forklift technician
Yall need to look outside the box. This frame and body has lived outside the U.S for a long time. First time I seen current ranger was in 2010 in Afghanistan. And yes it was a beast then too handling ieds and over loaded. But either way look at coyote swapped px ford or v8 px or t6. There are a couple Australian ford raptors with coyote swaps. They are beast and essentially weight differences aren't much, but that's comparing the diesel model that ranger raptor came configured as.

Venom_z89

First Name
Edson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger fx4
Occupation
Forklift technician

Just figured yall would like this!

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I'm confused by this question. What exactly would be the point other than adding significantly more weight to the front end of the truck? Seems like the modest power increase wouldn't be justified by the extra heft, no? A simple tune on the stock 4 pot gets really close to the output of the 5.0...plus you don't have to rev the nuts off of it to use that power....and it can be done for under $1K. A V8 swap would be a cool project for the sake of doing it but, completely unnecessary waste of resources for any other reason. Viva forced induction!
A bit tardy with a reply, but that happens more frequently as I journey the mortal coil as a septuagenarian.
Anyway,
Back in the days when inline sixes were pretty much the standard engines in mainstream cars and four cylinders were relegated to farm machinery, V8s were easily the most powerful engines stock, and responded to modification better than a six, and the loping cadence was more menacing than a straight 8. It was the Official National Sound Of The United States Of America. Maybe Canada also. There was Street Cred in a V8. If you didn't have a V8 callout on your front fender or hood, well, you probably wore black socks with plaid Berrmuda shorts, and smoked Life(!) cigarettes. Now, status is how many cameras your phone has.
Today, four bangers outperform many V8s of just ten years ago, and diesel V8s power today's giant farm machinery. But an inline engine of any displacement will always sound inferior to a V-by-God-and-Henry Ford-8. You will never convince the majority of us on this forum who grew up with Wndsors vs Clevelands that a tuner EcoBoost sounds better than even a lowly A-code 289 2bbl Ford 289.
That's why.
Now we are at the threshold of BEV vehicles taking over, and there will be performance aftermarket to be sure: Small Armature Chevys, YouTube videos on how to reconfigure your battery pack for more power, hi performance rare earth magnets, racing capacitors, on n' on.
My great-grandfather was in the Civil War. He died before I was born, but I can imagine him lamenting the ebbing of the sound of hoof beats and the smell of a horse that's been run hard and the increase of oily smelling, backfiring horseless carriages.

Same as it ever was.

mgallo13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MM Focus ST (sold), 2020 MM Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Financial Controller
Vehicle Showcase

Just figured yall would like this!
forgot where this was posted on here, but I believe I broached the subject of a godzilla swap v a coyote swap and I decided after weighing the pro's and con's that yes.

Reactions: Doc

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
forgot where this was posted on here, but I believe I broached the subject of a godzilla swap v a coyote swap and I decided after weighing the pro's and con's that yes.
Barra swap.

Gotta keep 'er Australian.

Reactions: Doc

Venom_z89

First Name
Edson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger fx4
Occupation
Forklift technician

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ranger XLT spacecab
Occupation
Vehicle fleet engineer
Honestly if I were to do a swap on the truck it would be the 3.2l diesel from Ford? Why you ask? Well they already have it in Australia and it works well!! I wish they would have put it in as an option here but who can say why. I got to drive a Transit with the 3.2l and I could tell the power output is nice and can work well for the Ranger.
The 3.2 isn't exactly a stellar engine, they can be a bit of a wildcard reliability wise. Some last a long time, others blow up in the first 50,000km. The turbochargers are also weak on them post 2015 (the bearing was made smaller). Combine that with an oil pump that doesn't prime itself and the oil drains back (you've got 15 minutes to change the oil otherwise you won't have oil pressure). It wasn't offered in the US because it is about to be discontinued for the rest of the world also. You'd hate it:
It doesn't make much power, uses a reasonable amount of fuel (22 mpg vs 28 for the 2L BiTurbo) and is pretty agricultural as far as refinement is concerned. The new 2L BiTurbo diesel is a far nice engine to drive and own, especially with the 10 speed (I've got one of each in the family).

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I would think if you did a front level in one of our Rangers and then dropped in a V8 with all the additional hardware that you yield you a factory delivered height stance again.

Would be fun though!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
The 3.2 isn't exactly a stellar engine, they can be a bit of a wildcard reliability wise. Some last a long time, others blow up in the first 50,000km. The turbochargers are also weak on them post 2015 (the bearing was made smaller). Combine that with an oil pump that doesn't prime itself and the oil drains back (you've got 15 minutes to change the oil otherwise you won't have oil pressure). It wasn't offered in the US because it is about to be discontinued for the rest of the world also. You'd hate it:
It doesn't make much power, uses a reasonable amount of fuel (22 mpg vs 28 for the 2L BiTurbo) and is pretty agricultural as far as refinement is concerned. The new 2L BiTurbo diesel is a far nice engine to drive and own, especially with the 10 speed (I've got one of each in the family).
I actually got to drive a Transit van out here in the United States with the 3.2 L. Mind you I did pay attention to the powerband and I actually liked it. It had what was known as a Workhorse power plant. With that said it is a truck that we have so a Workhorse power plant would actually be pretty nice. How efficient was it out here? Pretty good in the transit so I could imagine similar results with the 3.2 l in the Ranger. But doesn't mean I wouldn't be opposed to having the two liter biturbo out here either since we already have a 4-cylinder and that would fit directly and without any other issues.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I actually got to drive a Transit van out here in the United States with the 3.2 L. Mind you I did pay attention to the powerband and I actually liked it. It had what was known as a Workhorse power plant. With that said it is a truck that we have so a Workhorse power plant would actually be pretty nice. How efficient was it out here? Pretty good in the transit so I could imagine similar results with the 3.2 l in the Ranger. But doesn't mean I wouldn't be opposed to having the two liter biturbo out here either since we already have a 4-cylinder and that would fit directly and without any other issues.
Ive owned a 3.2ltr and now have the Bi turbo. I prefer the Bi turbo anyday over the 3.2ltr. So far, its been superior in every way. I personally would like a Bi turbo V6, that would be fun.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Ive owned a 3.2ltr and now have the Bi turbo. I prefer the Bi turbo anyday over the 3.2ltr. So far, its been superior in every way. I personally would like a Bi turbo V6, that would be fun.
One thing to also consider with diesel. Most diesel owners out here in the United States or what I like to call yuppies that don't know anything. Why is that? Well because they don't understand that a diesel is designed to work. When you buy a truck that has a big V8 Diesel chances are the truck doesn't weigh enough to really load the engine up enough for it to work that's why you get that massive tell rating and I'm sure the same rule applies out there in Australia and other countries that have diesel. Now you're asking what about the vehicles like Volkswagen that have 4 cylinder turbo diesels and do just fine? Well the car is real damn heavy and the engine is very small. Car manufacturer get the right calculations to make that engine last for a long time without having to add extra weight. With that said that's probably the reason why we have the buy turbo diesel option for the ranger across the world. Actually I wish you was brought out out here in the United States but it is what it is.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle fleet engineer
With that said that's probably the reason why we have the buy turbo diesel option for the ranger across the world. Actually I wish you was brought out out here in the United States but it is what it is.
The other thing to remember, diesel engines are more expensive to manufacture and across most of the US diesel is more expensive than gasoline. In Australia, diesel fuel is usually cheaper, and in some remote areas you can't buy petrol/gasoline at all.
Diesel also has some pretty tight emissions rules in the US, which doesn't help. In Australia our Rangers don't need DEF, as the rules are less tight on NOx emissions.

Given the F-150 Power Stroke is no longer available, I'd say the chances of a diesel Ranger or Bronco being released in the US are effectively zero.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle fleet engineer
I personally would like a Bi turbo V6, that would be fun.
You better start saving your pennies Alex, the Power Stroke 3L is at this point almost certainly going to be in the next Ranger and Everest.
Sponsored