LS1 Swap

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Any chance the 2.3L can be swapped out in favor of an LS1? Would love to do it if it can physically fit some how. New Ranger with an LS1 would be :sunglasses:
Sponsored

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
From what engineers have said, a V6 won't fit in there so I don't think a V8 would without a lot of modifications / fabrication. It was designed only to accept inline engines.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
The V6 is an option in other markets, so it "should" fit. But I wouldn't put an LS? in this truck. A Coyote wouldn't fit because it's super wide with the DOHC stuff on the heads.

Start thinking about 4cyl diesels or Inline 6Cyl (gas or diesel) and you might have something worthwhile. (IMHO)

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
The V6 is an option in other markets, so it "should" fit. But I wouldn't put an LS? in this truck. A Coyote wouldn't fit because it's super wide with the DOHC stuff on the heads.

Start thinking about 4cyl diesels or Inline 6Cyl (gas or diesel) and you might have something worthwhile. (IMHO)
What market has a V6? (not saying you are wrong) but I was under the impression there's only inline 4's (gas and diesel) and also the inline 5 diesel.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
What market has a V6? (not saying you are wrong) but I was under the impression there's only inline 4's (gas and diesel) and also the inline 5 diesel.
I stand corrected, I had heard elsewhere had a V6, but I'm not able to find it anywhere currently. I doubt that one would fit unless it was a pushrod engine.

RodSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dakota
It probably does fit. Ford may say it doesn't because it doesn't leave enough clearance in areas that need it for crash protection, accessory routing, manifolds or other bits that may need a custom made part to get it installed. Something like the oil pan won't clear the front subframe. Can the existing one be modified or an aftermarket one available that can be used...

OP
OP
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
I have a complelety rebuilt LS1 sitting in my garage from my brothers 04 GTO that got rear ended a few years back. Thinking about ordering a bare bones XL, swaping in the LS1 and building my own ranger monster.

I like the coyote as well, but since I already have the LS1 ready to go and it's one heck of a motor with a huge aftermarket, kicking around this idea. I know it will take some work, but the LS1 gets swapped into everything so sure the details could be worked out. Would be an awesome project.

passgas55

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 chevy w/t
I would have loved if Ford would just add another cylinder to the 2.3 making it a 2.9. Just beef up the lower end some and there you go.
A inline 5 with the ecoboost as an option engine to the 2.3.

Bubbabiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
If you can work around the emissions issue the 3.2L I5 Power Stroke from the Transit Van would be a cool mod.

WXman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I'm a GM hater, but the LS engines are superior for a swap project because they are cam-in-block, pushrod, port injection and therefore they're simple, rugged, easy to swap, easy to work on, and cheap to add power adders to.

I really wish Ford had offered more than one engine option, but that's probably what they'll do in another 24 months when the all-new Ranger is revealed.

OP
OP
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Project is a go :handsinair:

Stopped by local dealer today to check out the Ranger in person and get a feel for it. In stock they had a full loaded super crew lariat, 501A, FX4, Sport appearance package, spray in bedliner etc. Took it for a test drive and decided I was ready to make a deal.

Long story short ordered a bare bones base XL Supercab. No options added at all. Sales guy at first was like you really just want a bare bones work truck and I said yup. He was shocked when i told him what i wanted to do and what my plans are.

Goal is to swap in the LS1. Make over 600 hp at the wheels and run the 1/4 in the 10s. Going to be adding all the go fast items to the LS1 and will be beefing up brakes, suspension, rear end transmission etc.. Possible weight reduction as well to build the ultimate sleeper. Will be documenting the whole process and also selling the 2.3L and possibly the 10 speed slush box and any other oem parts swapped out.

Now the waiting game for my truck to be built and delivered

MI2TRAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fusion, 2015 CMax, 1937 Ford PU, 1968 Mustang
Project is a go :handsinair:

Stopped by local dealer today to check out the Ranger in person and get a feel for it. In stock they had a full loaded super crew lariat, 501A, FX4, Sport appearance package, spray in bedliner etc. Took it for a test drive and decided I was ready to make a deal.

Long story short ordered a bare bones base XL Supercab. No options added at all. Sales guy at first was like you really just want a bare bones work truck and I said yup. He was shocked when i told him what i wanted to do and what my plans are.

Goal is to swap in the LS1. Make over 600 hp at the wheels and run the 1/4 in the 10s. Going to be adding all the go fast items to the LS1 and will be beefing up brakes, suspension, rear end transmission etc.. Possible weight reduction as well to build the ultimate sleeper. Will be documenting the whole process and also selling the 2.3L and possibly the 10 speed slush box and any other oem parts swapped out.

Now the waiting game for my truck to be built and delivered
GM in a Ford? This shouldn't be. Go buy a Colorado and swap.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
GM in a Ford? This shouldn't be. Go buy a Colorado and swap.
My thought was I wish I had that kind of disposal income, time, tools and space (and talent).

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
To bad the LS1 modded is slower than a stock 5.0 when both are under boost. Would be a perfect fit for the 10 speed that will wipe the floor with any other comparable trans. Maual transmissions are pointless for getting quick 1/4 mile times. Good luck on your ventures!:thumbsup:
Sponsored