Aftermarket armor

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
2 reasons I'll never use a Fumoto valve.
  • There is nothing (like a key that's used on mag wheels) to prevent somebody from just flipping it and draining all your oil out.
  • It threads into the drain hole, therefore it's inside diameter is smaller and it won't drain as fast.
I gotta an entire toolbox of tools.. removing the drain plug isn't a big deal.
It drains in like 2-3 minutes when warm like normal oil plugs do. The restriction is hardly noticeable. Where do you live that people are crawling under your truck looking to open valves when they can just break out your windows or set it on fire like they do in Detroit?

I've had them on 3 cars now, there are many benefits.

1. You'll never strip your pan plug, because you never remove it.
2. You can relocate the tube (I have a 18" tube) to drain the pan AND the oil filter at the same time without making a mess (Time saver).
3. It has a locking clip which keeps it from moving unintentionally, the Ranger is actually tucked up out site anyways.
4. you don't have to remove the 4 bolts and the skid plate and get 45# of dirt on your face (because I live on a dirt road, and that plate always has stuff hiding on it).
5. Reasons
6. Fumoto sounds like overnight parts from Japan which adds to your street cred.
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
It drains in like 2-3 minutes when warm like normal oil plugs do. The restriction is hardly noticeable. Where do you live that people are crawling under your truck looking to open valves when they can just break out your windows or set it on fire like they do in Detroit?

I've had them on 3 cars now, there are many benefits.

1. You'll never strip your pan plug, because you never remove it.
2. You can relocate the tube (I have a 18" tube) to drain the pan AND the oil filter at the same time without making a mess (Time saver).
3. It has a locking clip which keeps it from moving unintentionally, the Ranger is actually tucked up out site anyways.
4. you don't have to remove the 4 bolts and the skid plate and get 45# of dirt on your face (because I live on a dirt road, and that plate always has stuff hiding on it).
5. Reasons
6. Fumoto sounds like overnight parts from Japan which adds to your street cred.
To each their own. It's kind of like a tailgate damper.. just not needed.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
I ended up putting on a Valvomax plug and it's fantastic. A quick drain plug of some sort is an absolute necessity with Shrockworks skid plates. The way they overlap eachother would require me to remove 1-1/2 skids to get it done and that would be a huge PITA.

Last edited:

24dRanger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
The only experience I have with Fumoto is with my Ram 1500 EcoDiesel ... it took 48 hours (ish :crackup:) to drain the 10+ quarts so I went back to the drain plug. I might would try it on the Ranger, I'll have to see how removal of the skid plates impedes the change.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only experience I have with Fumoto is with my Ram 1500 EcoDiesel ... it took 48 hours (ish :crackup:) to drain the 10+ quarts so I went back to the drain plug. I might would try it on the Ranger, I'll have to see how removal of the skid plates impedes the change.
Start the truck, drive around the block at a leisurely pace. Then drop the slightly warm oil. I change it in the dead of winter, usually twice and I've never waited more than 5-10 minutes. Not because I had to, just because I usually do other stuff like rotate the tires or clean the windows and mirrors and it takes me that long.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Start the truck, drive around the block at a leisurely pace. Then drop the slightly warm oil. I change it in the dead of winter, usually twice and I've never waited more than 5-10 minutes. Not because I had to, just because I usually do other stuff like rotate the tires or clean the windows and mirrors and it takes me that long.
Exactly... me too. So since I have all those other tools out then why would I buy....... never mind. ;)

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly... me too. So since I have all those other tools out then why would I buy....... never mind. ;)
I guess what I'm saying is it's better for me since I'm too lazy to remove the skid plate even with the giant box of tools I have. If I could get a proper oil filter relocation kit I'd do that too since have t-rex arms.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I guess what I'm saying is it's better for me since I'm too lazy to remove the skid plate even with the giant box of tools I have. If I could get a proper oil filter relocation kit I'd do that too since have t-rex arms.
No worries. I personally like removing the plates occasionally to visually check out everything.... and dump the rocks, debris, blood and hair out of the skid plates. You know they can track people down pretty easy with those DNA tests.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
No worries. I personally like removing the plates occasionally to visually check out everything.... and dump the rocks, debris, blood and hair out of the skid plates. You know they can track people down pretty easy with those DNA tests.
Painting my plates rust brown really helps hides that stuff nice. Plus, patina is a craze lately ?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Painting my plates rust brown really helps hides that stuff nice. Plus, patina is a craze lately ?
I have considered putting my truck on the lift... opening a can of red paint... putting on some nitryl gloves... sticking my hands in the paint... and then placing my hands on the skid plate just under the bumper and dragging them down the skid plates.

But if I do that... and disable the Pre-collision assist warning system... I'm thinking an arrest might be imminent once Ford Pass uploads it to Sky-Net.
Sponsored