After receiving your new Ford Ranger you should/need to preform two training exercises

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I usually just carry my spare in the box. Obviously if you have the plastic liner you can't because it will slide but a bare box or sprayed liner keeps it from sliding around.. ATM mine has the plastic liner that I plan on pulling out ASAP as the box on the Ranger is steel and those liners vibrate, wear the paint, and then the box starts rusting. Not to mention they hold dirt and sand which adds to the wear.
I used one of these on my last few trucks.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/In-Bed-Spa...323809178025?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
In all fairness, I've had several plastic liners, and at the end of ~10 years of truck ownership (for each truck, in Michigan), exactly 0 of them have had appreciable inside bed rust. I think the lack of salt and water IN the bed makes it so the little surface rust it does get doesn't hurt anything.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
In all fairness, I've had several plastic liners, and at the end of ~10 years of truck ownership (for each truck, in Michigan), exactly 0 of them have had appreciable inside bed rust. I think the lack of salt and water IN the bed makes it so the little surface rust it does get doesn't hurt anything.
In my experience water always gets underneath a plastic bedliner moisture gets everywhere especially if you live in a cold area where temps fall and rise above 32 degrees F. I've seen a few trucks that had the beds rot out from them but I'm sure there are many that turn out just fine. I'm still removing mine and doing a spray in bedliner myself. I'd rather not have something wear the paint off my bed. Better safe than sorry.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I haven't crawled underneath to check yet...
Im just curious as a guy on youtube said his Ranger came with a donut which I think must be utter rubbish and I'm thinking he must have seen the max 50mph on it and called it a donut IDK. Mine is the equivelant size of my tires on 18" rims on a steel 17" rim. I think my tires are 265/60r18 and the spare is a 245/70r17. Ends up really close to the same but I'm probably gonna get another 265/60r18 for the spare.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
In my experience water always gets underneath a plastic bedliner moisture gets everywhere especially if you live in a cold area where temps fall and rise above 32 degrees F. I've seen a few trucks that had the beds rot out from them but I'm sure there are many that turn out just fine. I'm still removing mine and doing a spray in bedliner myself. I'd rather not have something wear the paint off my bed. Better safe than sorry.
Beds rot out from a bed liner? What brand of truck? Never owned a Ford long enough to find out.

We bought an '85 S-10 new with a bed liner, zero rust after 9 years of daily driving in Ohio weather. The doors and rockers were rusted but the bed was fine. Also bought a '02 Tacoma new with a bed liner, zero rust after 17 years of daily driving in Ohio and then Colorado weather.

Bed liners not only protect the steel of the truck bed itself but they also significantly stiffen up the floor of the truck and protect it from impacts if your actually using your truck as a truck: hauling things like cinder blocks, engine blocks, etc. Far superior protection to a spray in liner. They also protect the cargo better. Slide a nice piece of finished pine trim board on a spray in bed liner and look at the scratches... you just don't have that issue with a plastic bed liner.

It also depends on the bed liner. If you buy a low quality one, you get low quality results.

Different strokes for different folks. I wanted a Ford drop in, but our truck came with the Ford Factory ToughBed. So I guess we'll be seeing how well it works.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beds rot out from a bed liner? What brand of truck? Never owned a Ford long enough to find out.

We bought an '85 S-10 new with a bed liner, zero rust after 9 years of daily driving in Ohio weather. The doors and rockers were rusted but the bed was fine. Also bought a '02 Tacoma new with a bed liner, zero rust after 17 years of daily driving in Ohio and then Colorado weather.

Bed liners not only protect the steel of the truck bed itself but they also significantly stiffen up the floor of the truck and protect it from impacts if your actually using your truck as a truck: hauling things like cinder blocks, engine blocks, etc. Far superior protection to a spray in liner. They also protect the cargo better. Slide a nice piece of finished pine trim board on a spray in bed liner and look at the scratches... you just don't have that issue with a plastic bed liner.

It also depends on the bed liner. If you buy a low quality one, you get low quality results.

Different strokes for different folks. I wanted a Ford drop in, but our truck came with the Ford Factory ToughBed. So I guess we'll be seeing how well it works.

I've owned5 Rangers, all with plastic bed liners. They picked up rocker rust, and hood lip rust, one even completely lost a side step due to rust. All had non-perforated beds at the end of 10+ years of life. My Rangers were 1993, 1995, 1999, 2003, and 2019 all extended or crew cab, all short bed 4x4 all washed maybe 4-5 times in their entire life :) Maybe caked mud prevents rust?

The 1995 even sat in a field for over a year, long enough to rot the brake lines straight through.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat

Those drop in liners are garbage anything you put in the back slides around and bounces of the sides of the bed like it's a skating rink. As for strength if im gonna be doing something that might dent the bed i have 2 pieces of ply wood cut out that i just put on the floor of the bed.
I had a 96 f 150 with a straight 6 and a plastic bed liner. I bought it for 600 bucks so it was just a beater. Everywhere the bedliner rubbed it wore the paint of and rusted. The floor of the bed, the fender humps, along the top sides of the bed. Eventually the rust got pretty bad. It hadn't rotted through all the way when I got rid of it but it was pretty bad. I had another truck an 84 F-250 that did the same but I sanded and painted it and put on spray liner. My area has terrible weather we get over 100 inches of snow every year and the roads are heavily sanded and salted. The fender wells as well as other areas can rot out and then salt gets in though there and works its way all under the liner. As there is space under the liner moisture gets under it and slowly deteriorates the paint and metal as the vibration rubs the paint off.
It's not gonna happen fast and it wont always happen but it is possible especially in rough climates so why use a drop in liner when you can do a spray in liner. One can do it them-self for quite cheap if they don't wanna pay a place to do it.
Obviously it's an owner's choice what they want to do but I'm not taking the chance with the drop in liner I plan on recycling it ASAP.

Last edited:

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Also a good spray in bed liner hardens and attaches to the bed and actually protects the bed from damage better than a plastic drop-in.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those drop in liners are garbage anything you put in the back slides around and bounces of the sides of the bed like it's a skating rink. As for strength if im gonna be doing something that might dent the bed i have 2 pieces of ply wood cut out that i just put on the floor of the bed.
I had a 96 f 150 with a straight 6 and a plastic bed liner. I bought it for 600 bucks so it was just a beater. Everywhere the bedliner rubbed it wore the paint of and rusted. The floor of the bed, the fender humps, along the top sides of the bed. Eventually the rust got pretty bad. It hadn't rotted through all the way when I got rid of it but it was pretty bad. I had another truck an 84 F-250 that did the same but I sanded and painted it and put on spray liner. My area has terrible weather we get over 100 inches of snow every year and the roads are heavily sanded and salted. The fender wells as well as other areas can rot out and then salt gets in though there and works its way all under the liner. As there is space under the liner moisture gets under it and slowly deteriorates the paint and metal as the vibration rubs the paint off.
It's not gonna happen fast and it wont always happen but it is possible especially in rough climates so why use a drop in liner when you can do a spray in liner. One can do it them-self for quite cheap if they don't wanna pay a place to do it.
Obviously it's an owner's choice what they want to do but I'm not taking the chance with the drop in liner I plan on recycling it ASAP.
If you sold it, someone would pay for your spray in for sure.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
perhaps in the 23 yrs and 35yrs since the 96 and 84 fords, bedliner fit form and function has improved.
perhaps they fit alot better and dont move around as much. but we will live in the dark ages for your benefit of this argument.
my 2015 F150 had a very tight stable bedliner. Thats 4 years ago, No idea what it looked like underneath, but it definately didn't shake rattle or roll around the bed
Can confirm that my truck is already showing bare paint under the drop in. I had it out at about the 8k mile marker. I put some marine grease on the spots I could see, and sent it.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely agree with the spare tire flip. Not just for the ease of checking the air, but getting the feel of the procedure & any special tool that some of us with physical limitations may need. Pays to be prepared. I must say it was very easy to lower & raise.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
It's not a cable... it's a chain. And it's a painted chain. Greasing it will just allow crud to stick all over it.

011.JPG

012.JPG

018.JPG
That retainer on the end of the chain does not look paint friendly. I just installed my new full size matching tire and Sport Package Magnetic wheel outside up. I positioned the tire with the valve stem pointed towards the passenger rear corner. Visible and plenty of room to reach up and over with a small gauge for pressure checks.

How do you keep the long dangling chain from wearing the paint off your wheel ?

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
If you are going to use your truck like a truck get a drop in bedliner.

If you want your truck to look pretty for a couple of months get the spray in.

I traded in a 2013 F-150 Ecobeast Supercrew with a Ford drop in bedliner. I had mulch, gravel, bricks, etc., etc. in that bed. Six years of abuse and it looked still looked new. Just needed to be hosed off after use.

My first purchase after I got the truck was the drop in liner. I installed it in the parking lot of the dealer. Took 15 minutes.
Sponsored

Last edited: