Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm probably the weird one as I hate it! I've tried it several times but always get to complacent and forget it's set then fall back down in speed because I've approached another vehicle. Next thing you know I'm going 5-10 mph slower than I want. Personally I'd rather have full control of my vehicle.
Hi Dave,

I am with you! I absolutely hate ACC...

Best,
Phil
Sponsored

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
How is ford's implementation of ACC?

I think my primary complaint on others (Subaru, Hyundai) is that they leave far too much following distance. While it technically be the required space if the vehicle in front goes from 60mph to 0 in 1s.

I stay out of the left lane except when passing, a trait few cars seem to employ. As a result, I am often in the second from left, and get over around someone in order to maintain my speed. Due to this huge safety cushion instead it'll end up slowing down and I ride next to the left lane offender.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
How is ford's implementation of ACC?

I think my primary complaint on others (Subaru, Hyundai) is that they leave far too much following distance. While it technically be the required space if the vehicle in front goes from 60mph to 0 in 1s.

I stay out of the left lane except when passing, a trait few cars seem to employ. As a result, I am often in the second from left, and get over around someone in order to maintain my speed. Due to this huge safety cushion instead it'll end up slowing down and I ride next to the left lane offender.
There are buttons on the steering wheel that allow you to adjust the following distance.

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
I do love the ACC, think it depends on the traffic load and level of freeways. The freeways in NM have heavy truck traffic and are mostly 2 lane so easy to get trapped and the ACC works well so you don't have to cancel and resume.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
I'm probably the weird one as I hate it! I've tried it several times but always get to complacent and forget it's set then fall back down in speed because I've approached another vehicle. Next thing you know I'm going 5-10 mph slower than I want. Personally I'd rather have full control of my vehicle.
Yes that sucks! I tried it on other people's vehicles (im not high class enough to have it) and the slow down is the most annoying thing. Especially if you see a gap and want to go for it. Then all the sudden your the A$$hole in the left lane doing 60. I like normal cruise and other than that I like actually driving. Im an old man stuck in a 30 year olds body.

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I want it to take complete control and then I can take a nap.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Part of my issue may be because I am in a hilly area and the usual is for a car to suddenly pop up over the hill when you are right on top of it.
this was my experience with auto brights, too. I tried them out for awhile and liked the idea. but they would nail people if either of us crested a hill or came around a sharp curve at the wrong moment. and there are lots of both in my area.

I'm at the fuzzy fringe of town where it's mixed with dark and well-lit areas, also. most of the time I don't need the brights, even if the auto brights kicks them on.

I don't have ACC, so I can't really comment on it. I'd have liked to try it out if my truck had it. and I'm maybe tempted to add it at some point. but not enough to make it a big priority.

Scottopia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '11 GMC Acadia, '03 HD VRod
Occupation
Grand Sovereign Monarch of Scottopia
Vehicle Showcase
I have become a big fan of the ACC and miss it when driving the wife’s SUV. Use it on any long stretch of road or long drives. Thumb controls work well adjusting the speed and follow distance. Keep it off in heavy traffic or areas where the drivers seem to suck. Not a fan of the auto beams or especially the rain sensing wipers.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Can take or leave ACC, wifes care has it. Like Dave I've found myself following behind slower traffic when could of passed earlier. If it had stop and go like the wifes maybe I'd like it better.

Really like the auto headlights. I leave my switch in Auto and never touch it. Sometime I wish the brights would come on a little sooner, but for the most part they work well. Hills will always be and issue for dimming, even manually.

Part I really love is the auto dimming rear view mirror. Especially in town.

I miss not having auto wipers. Last car had them and wifes car does.

You really get use to all the hands free features.

WV_Ranger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
I agree with op on long pulls fuel economy in the 20s is easy. I average 19 on my 32 mile daily commute of mixed driving.

I'm with Dave in my dislike due to forgetting it slows me down when I come up on someone, so in rural areas I don't like it. I feel like it kicks in well before i would switch lanes too pass and often found myself wondering why the person ahead of me sped up lol. Now if I get to an area with slightly more traffic, such as Columbus OH, I turn it on so that I can maintain speed with traffic flow.

The only time I like lane assist is on a long road trip when I'm gawking at scenery or worried about falling asleep at the wheel, though with age I've quit pushing my limits as much. Ive quit trying to drive 17+ hours to get to a destination. I'd rather pay for an extra night lodging than a whole new truck. ?

Auto headlights I don't like. Would have been a useful feature in my younger days, when driving a 4 speed with the light switch on the floor. Never failed to catch someone mid downshift in a curve.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
I also really like ACC -- in most situations. Where there's lots of passing, etc, it's cumbersome given how much stuttering it produces. Aside from that, it's nice (for me).

Also I'm curious; why do so many people not like lane keeping? I like it, and think mine works very well (I have it set to max correction sensitivity/responsiveness). I haven't been annoyed by it for 99% of the time, except on a few during onramp merges, etc

Last edited:

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I also really like ACC -- in most situations. Where there's lots of passing, etc, it's cumbersome given how much stuttering it produces. Aside from that, it's nice (for me).

Why do so many people not like lane keeping? I like it, and think mine works very well (I have it set to max correction sensitivity/responsiveness). I haven't been annoyed by it for 99% of the time, except on a few during onramp merges, etc
yeah, I don't mind Ford's lane keeping. I drove a subaru for work once and didn't like subaru's application of the tech. it felt different at the steering wheel.

yeah, the only time it bothers me is when there are extraneous markings on the road. spilled paint, construction zones where there are remnants of the old lane markers, linear gouges in the pavement, etc.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Any driving nannies around here go full tard' once you hit the streets on this area of illinois.

Literally 1 block of street will have 20 different materials used in road work and repair. One lane will be narrower than the other....

I would love to watch ACC/Lane assist have panic attacks here.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
yeah, I don't mind Ford's lane keeping.
Same. If you're paying attention and the steering wheel jitters at an inappropriate time, just f'ing ignore it--it's not like it's going to rip the wheel out of your hand. But in that one rare case where something distracts you (spilled a drink, fell asleep, whatever), it might keep you from driving into traffic. ?‍♂ Yeah, I know, everyone is above average and it would never happen to them--so it's a complete mystery why people die in head-on collisions every single day, even if they've never caused a collision before. It only takes once to ruin your day.
Sponsored