8492 - 2019 Ranger - Trailer Brake Controller Availability

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Still happy with my control module mounted in the trailer's tongue box. I just use the signal from the brake lights & the factory 7 pin harness connector for a signal & run it into the module. The rest is just regular wiring from the battery to the brakes on the axle. Still works fine, no controller to bang a knee on or get in the way on the dash. "0
Int.jpg
" problems towing this way.
Sponsored

dguffin

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Corsair, 19 Ranger, 12 Boss, 08 Zuma
Occupation
Shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s what I saw at SEMA with a part number of VKB3Z-2C006-A

41EA22F5-F770-4245-B9F0-646D2ABD3F89.jpeg

dguffin

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Corsair, 19 Ranger, 12 Boss, 08 Zuma
Occupation
Shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it is. It was in the new product showcase. I believe that’s a ford accessory part number.

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Wow! $339 vs about $70, glad I bought the one I did...

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Still happy with my control module mounted in the trailer's tongue box. I just use the signal from the brake lights & the factory 7 pin harness connector for a signal & run it into the module. The rest is just regular wiring from the battery to the brakes on the axle. Still works fine, no controller to bang a knee on or get in the way on the dash. "0
Int.jpg
" problems towing this way.
Most places require you to have a manual brake override, which is pretty handy sometimes, I would also test that the breakaway still works properly with the setup like that. Otherwise looks like a good setup.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I called my dealer today, parts department said that Ford said it will be available in the last quarter of this year, that's all the info they had, so I will just wait on the oem and hope it's plug and play. I have alot of rewards points so I an to use mine to buy it and if it's not plug and play I'll let them install it.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I called my dealer today, parts department said that Ford said it will be available in the last quarter of this year, that's all the info they had, so I will just wait on the oem and hope it's plug and play. I have alot of rewards points so I an to use mine to buy it and if it's not plug and play I'll let them install it.
it won’t be plug and play, it will be crimp and pimp just like they are now with a little drilling and some light zip tie action, except ford will charge 600$ for the package with install.

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The break-away system remains intact & functions as it was installed & designed. It's powered by the group 27 AGM battery in the galley & the back-up battery in the tongue box, which is the part of the normal electric brake system. The extra battery in the galley provides trailer power for all systems, so I just wired it into the brake system in parallel. It ends up being a redundant power system with its own charging system (the 100 watt solar panel). The only thing I don't have access to this way is the added braking available by having the controller in the cab & handy.

To me this is a double edged sword. Yes, you can reach down & manually fire the controller for an emergency, but is that a distraction when in a stressful situation, like a cell phone ringing? Mine is set to run the brakes for keeping the trailer straight while braking. The controller was set on a gravel surface to not lock the trailer brakes. To me a $600 dollar controller is absurd when a $70 controller works just as well.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The break-away system remains intact & functions as it was installed & designed. It's powered by the group 27 AGM battery in the galley & the back-up battery in the tongue box, which is the part of the normal electric brake system. The extra battery in the galley provides trailer power for all systems, so I just wired it into the brake system in parallel. It ends up being a redundant power system with its own charging system (the 100 watt solar panel). The only thing I don't have access to this way is the added braking available by having the controller in the cab & handy.

To me this is a double edged sword. Yes, you can reach down & manually fire the controller for an emergency, but is that a distraction when in a stressful situation, like a cell phone ringing? Mine is set to run the brakes for keeping the trailer straight while braking. The controller was set on a gravel surface to not lock the trailer brakes. To me a $600 dollar controller is absurd when a $70 controller works just as well.

Agreed on most accounts, the only place my opinion differs is in a sway situation you would be able to grab the brake lever and straighten out the train so to speak.

whatever works for you.

Fordguy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Fixed operation Director Tuttle Click Automotive
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed on most accounts, the only place my opinion differs is in a sway situation you would be able to grab the brake lever and straighten out the train so to speak.

whatever works for you.
I like the ability to control as the temps and environment change.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Here’s what I saw at SEMA with a part number of VKB3Z-2C006-A

41EA22F5-F770-4245-B9F0-646D2ABD3F89.jpeg
So it really is just the RedArc Tow Pro Elite, but I'm sure Ford will charge more for it with their name on it.