First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
Have you confirmed that the brakes will apply when the Adaptive Cruise calls for the brakes While towing?
Sponsored

BeachRanger19

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab Ingot Silver
Bluetooth is just for setup and adjustment, and is not required for continued operation. Right? I think a lot of guys are scared of this unit because Bluetooth doesn't have a very reliable reputation, but once you get it set up, it's really not that much of a concern.
No you set it and can forget it if you want because it stores the braking settings for that trailer and up to 4 more.You just select a-d trailer and tow.
I have a dedicated interface because my trailer is single axle and if my sway picks up I can touch the screen and apply trailer brakes only and stop the swaying.
The Bluetooth connection worked for the entire drive so loss of connection from my bumper to cab is not an issue.
Going to hook the trailer up and fine tune the bias and sensitivity this afternoon then get ready to hit the road ?

BeachRanger19

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab Ingot Silver
Have you confirmed that the brakes will apply when the Adaptive Cruise calls for the brakes While towing?
I don't know the answer but I also honestly don't recommend using cruise control while towing a travel trailer unless your on a fairly flat section of road and not in traffic.

Barry McLean

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Farmer
Had Rocking R Rv here in Ontario install a Draw Tite 5100 brake controller on my Little Big man today took Him 30 minutes to do so after search for the wires by the left kick panel that took about 15 to 20 minutes for Him to get it thought out.
Cost was 153.15 parts and labor, started out an estimate of 188, the controller was 81.00.
How is it working???

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LB Super Crew, 2012 GT500, 2015 VW GSW TDI
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks all for the info and details. Ordered mine and they had it the next day. They were aware of how to use FordPass points so I used the whole mess. Paid the difference which is cheaper than buying from a discount Ford seller. I do my own work so the pass pints won’t do me good anyway.

I’m using a Lightforce panel with the tow pro switch insert for it:

REDARC TPSI-002 Tow-Pro Switch Insert https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G9PJ23T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pNUXEbP833BP9
72ADBA97-127C-4630-9C7E-C48E36A206BD.jpeg

Lonewolf

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crewcab FX4
Occupation
Chemist
Sigh. I should have known after reading all these post that something would go wrong at the dealer with the brake controller install.

when I negotiated my deal for my new 2019 XLT last Friday, I told them I wanted the OEM controller installed and it had to be done for memorial weekend. They supposedly looked up the part and said no problem. They told me Wednesday that the controller was in and I dropped the truck off after work. I specifically told the service manger to not have the redarc dial mounted (didn’t want it where ford wants it on the left side by your knee). Told them to just leave the dial loose on the console. I even showed him the light force panel I was intending to install.

I knew he wrote me down for a noon time slot. When I got a call at 1:30 that it was done, I suspected something was off. I show up afterwork to pick up. When I get to the service desk for my keys, he hands me a box of a cheap tekonsha voyager brake controller. Now I am pissed!

I explain that is not what I wanted. Went through the whole explanation on how the OEM Redarc is the only one authorized to work with the AEB system. He said the service manger orderEd the controller and the sales manager just told them to put on a brake controller... nothing specific. I don’t blame the service guy if that is true, but damn. Ford really screwed up on this not havI got the OEM brake controller explained to dealership and not including it in the tow package. Which my truck has.

They said they would order and put in, after many calls between the service center and the sales office. I had to tell them that it is involved and takes a couple hrs to install. They are saying it could take 2 weeks to come in. The only saving grace is they didn’t mount the tekonsha... so no holes in panels. But I’m sure they cut some wires under the dash to install.

Ive been so happy driving my new truck over this last week and looking forward to pulling my camper this weekend. Now I’m just pissed.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I’m surprised a dealer would install an after market anything.
Fun fact - I had better luck getting my local Ford dealer to install my own supplied parts than I had with a local independent shop when I was getting ball joints and control arms on my F-150 replaced. The independent shop *absolutely refused* to do it with any parts other than their own, and the dealer was more than happy to help, just letting me know that they had no warranties that applied which normally would with Ford parts. Of course, YMMV, but I've found dealers way better to deal with (granted I've also been lucky with pretty decent dealers in my time), except for one independent shop my family had used for generations.

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Thanks all for the info and details. Ordered mine and they had it the next day. They were aware of how to use FordPass points so I used the whole mess. Paid the difference which is cheaper than buying from a discount Ford seller. I do my own work so the pass pints won’t do me good anyway.

I’m using a Lightforce panel with the tow pro switch insert for it:

REDARC TPSI-002 Tow-Pro Switch Insert https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G9PJ23T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pNUXEbP833BP9
72ADBA97-127C-4630-9C7E-C48E36A206BD.jpeg
That probably what Im going to do as well. Does it include the install directions with it?

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is the setup for the dial:
E3061186-E84F-41D8-9BA8-BD8AB7A3B7A4.jpeg

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I’m surprised a dealer would install an after market anything.
Me too. Early this winter when getting the "official" controller appeared problematic for some reason, the service manager at my dealership offered to install the older Redarc unit. I found that surprising considering the "do not do this" tone of the Ford service bulletin on the subject. The dealership was anxious to get me out of their hair because they'd sold me a truck with "Best in Class Towing!" that in fact could not tow the trailer I had bought it to tow, and I had made it clear that this problem had better be resolved before spring or else there'd be trouble. I held out for the "official" controller, which they were able to get a month later.

River

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ford Ranger FX4
controller pic.jpg
manual pic.jpg

Here is the install and the front page of installation manual. I found the part number on Ford parts and told the parts guy exactly what I wanted using the part number. That seemed to help. I then had my ford service department install it because I wasn't sure of all the electrics/safety systems. Ford part and Ford service install, what could go wrong? After the installation, the door ajar light would not go off. They knew of the problem but it was 4pm Friday so I took it home to be be brought back following week. I had to disconnect battery because the lights would flash about every ten minutes as if the key fob was pressed. Took it back, they fixed it, but...the next day it started again and now the bed light won't go off as well as the door ajar/lights problem. I am waiting on call from service to know when to bring it back in. Super annoying as it chimes everytime I slow down, and of course I have to disconnect battery when I get home so I am not really driving it. I will keep you posted..not sure how an install of trailer brake controller would cause door ajar and bed light problems. Maybe unrelated but t triggered it somehow?

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
controller pic.jpg
manual pic.jpg

Here is the install and the front page of installation manual. I found the part number on Ford parts and told the parts guy exactly what I wanted using the part number. That seemed to help. I then had my ford service department install it because I wasn't sure of all the electrics/safety systems. Ford part and Ford service install, what could go wrong? After the installation, the door ajar light would not go off. They knew of the problem but it was 4pm Friday so I took it home to be be brought back following week. I had to disconnect battery because the lights would flash about every ten minutes as if the key fob was pressed. Took it back, they fixed it, but...the next day it started again and now the bed light won't go off as well as the door ajar/lights problem. I am waiting on call from service to know when to bring it back in. Super annoying as it chimes everytime I slow down, and of course I have to disconnect battery when I get home so I am not really driving it. I will keep you posted..not sure how an install of trailer brake controller would cause door ajar and bed light problems. Maybe unrelated but t triggered it somehow?
Just curious do you have a supercab? Might be able to give some insight on the door ajar and the bed light. When you say the bed wont light go off I assume you mean that it wont light up when you press the brakes now, did you confirm it was working when you picked it up? This could easily be a loose pin at the connectors they had to assemble which will mean tearing it back down...

River

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ford Ranger FX4
Just curious do you have a supercab? Might be able to give some insight on the door ajar and the bed light. When you say the bed wont light go off I assume you mean that it wont light up when you press the brakes now, did you confirm it was working when you picked it up? This could easily be a loose pin at the connectors they had to assemble which will mean tearing it back down...
Thanks for the info about the pin. I have the supercrew model. By bed lights (maybe cargo lights was a better term) I mean the white lights surrounding the above bed brake light. When I turn the truck off they just stay on.
Sponsored