8492 - 2019 Ranger - Trailer Brake Controller Availability

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I had the dealer install the Ford kit for me today. Happy with the result. They mounted it out of the way on the left side. May not be optimal but it looks like its probably where ford directed it to be installed?

IMG_20200618_184507.jpg

Not sure if they forgot to actually put in the owners manual and this is just part of it but I confirmed with the dealership that this is all that it came with.
Nope. That's all I got as well, and IMHO is rather inadequate as an operations manual. Fortunately, operation is the same as for the other Redarc units and more comprehensive operating instructions are available on the interwebs.
Sponsored

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Nope. That's all I got as well, and IMHO is rather inadequate as an operations manual. Fortunately, operation is the same as for the other Redarc units and more comprehensive operating instructions are available on the interwebs.
Yea, (I don't know if this paste will work) but the complete manual is available from REDARC.

Attachments

WaltKNJ

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew
Occupation
Tractor trailer driver
I think that literally the last 10 pages of this thread are discussing installing the Ford "integrated" brake controller, and how ludicrously expensive and convoluted the price/install for it is.

It's been available for the better part of a year (if not more) now.
I got my truck in November 2019 and coudn't get the part unti Mach 2020. Maybe it was geogaphically limited.

Cav10x

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL, 2019 VW Atlas Premium
I just had a local ford dealer install the brake controller today. $148 for the install which honestly I thought was going to be more. Tomorrow I am going to take delivery on a 2017 Jayco 287BHSW weighing in at 6300lbs and 630lbs of hitch weight. I am anxious to see how this truck does towing a 33 foot trailer.

Czaplewskin

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Lariat FX4
I just had a local ford dealer install the brake controller today. $148 for the install which honestly I thought was going to be more. Tomorrow I am going to take delivery on a 2017 Jayco 287BHSW weighing in at 6300lbs and 630lbs of hitch weight. I am anxious to see how this truck does towing a 33 foot trailer.
This is why I'm looking at a 2019 Ranger Lariat vs. my current 2018 Ridgeline RTL.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
My trailer is 33’10” and does well under 70. Above 70 I get too much sway for my liking. I’m sure a better hitch would fix it, but I don’t need to go that fast anyways. I’m a bit lighter at just over 6k estimated while loaded.

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
[/QUOTE
Tomatoman
Well after having mine installed at Ford dealer back in early March I did not feel that it was working. Took it in and they determined the install was done correctly but would investigate as to what the issue was.
Today I find out that this controller will only work with a factory wired 7 pin. Even though I requested a 2919 with tow capability what I got was a 4 pin at the back of the truck which I bought a 4-7 and thought things should be fine. tomorrow they are going to remove the Ford controller and refund my money. I asked service manager why can’t they add the wiring to make it functional and they say it can’t be done. I am beyond upset.
looks like I go with the Curt Echo that I have been using up to this point.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are full of shit, the 7-pin can be added with a factory pigtail. You should just have them leave the tbc installed and plugin the 7-pin on your own. Then find a new dealership.

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
They are full of shit, the 7-pin can be added with a factory pigtail. You should just have them leave the tbc installed and plugin the 7-pin on your own. Then find a new dealership.
Can a 7 pin receiver be ordered from Ford or will aftermarket from etrailer work?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Can a 7 pin receiver be ordered from Ford or will aftermarket from etrailer work?
receivers don't have pins...I'm confused about what you've done and what you're asking. a picture of the stuff on the back of the truck might help.

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
receivers don't have pins...I'm confused about what you've done and what you're asking. a picture of the stuff on the back of the truck might help.
I had a 4 pin at the back of the truck, I bought a 4 to 7 from etrailer and ran a 30 amp fused line to the black on the new pigtail. There is still a blue and a yellow wire to the 7 pin that has nothing connected to it.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a 4 pin at the back of the truck, I bought a 4 to 7 from etrailer and ran a 30 amp fused line to the black on the new pigtail. There is still a blue and a yellow wire to the 7 pin that has nothing connected to it.
You can get a 7-pin plug with a factory ford connector on it from ford for $60. There’s a whole thread about adding it, and it’s literally 20mins work.

the factory tow receiver is a giant metal thing that integrates with the bumper and connects to your 2” ball hitch.
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/trucks-w-o-tow-package.1712/

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
888ED20E-3EEB-4458-B42D-E105D49506C0.jpeg

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
ok, you wasted your money on that. search around here for the part number for the actual 4/7 plug from ford. your 4 pin has a connector under the truck that you unplug and then pull out the 4 pin plug and replace it with the ford 4/7 plug. then you need to cut a hole in the plastic part of the bumper. unless you're using the ford 4/7 plug hooked into the vehicle wiring, the TBC under your dash isn't connected to anything.

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
ok, you wasted your money on that. search around here for the part number for the actual 4/7 plug from ford. your 4 pin has a connector under the truck that you unplug and then pull out the 4 pin plug and replace it with the ford 4/7 plug. then you need to cut a hole in the plastic part of the bumper. unless you're using the ford 4/7 plug hooked into the vehicle wiring, the TBC under your dash isn't connected to anything.
If anyone has the Ford part number for the Ford 4/7 plug it would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored