First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Electrician
Partly because of US regulations. I ran into the same thing on my previous vehicle (Subaru Crosstrek). The vehicle was the exact same between AUS and the US (and most of the rest of the LH drive world), but the towing capacity was almost double in Australia than here in the US (1500lb US vs 2800lb AUS).

Not entirely the same with the Ranger, since the US/CAN Ranger is of slightly different design, so there are differences that impact capacity. In which direction or by how much I'm not sure.

You can (or at least could) get a fifth wheel style trailer for your VW bug in the past. Not every fifth wheel is a monster. I've said it before on other camper threads, if you think outside the box and look further than the usual 3 manufacturers of the standard camper, there's a lot of cool stuff out there that doesn't need a 1-ton truck to make it work.

As far as the issue at hand... OP, have you looked into maybe modifying or making work something for the other midsize trucks, like the Tacoma you shared or maybe even the old Ranger? I'm not sure how it connects to the truck, if it's special between models or not. Or does Scamp give a recommendation?
Scamp does install a hitch, but it is bed mounted. I want frame mounted.

44FE7C4A-BC21-4FD9-B868-C59167256F84.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
WpgLariat

WpgLariat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
Hi Chris,

Since all the trailer tow testing was done off the receiver hitch or the rear bumper, the 5th wheel towing is in uncharted territory. That does not mean it won't work as it may be okay if the trailer GVW, Truck and Trailer GCW are with in limits of the owners manual Who ever starts to make a 5th wheel hitch for the North American Ranger will have to ensure it meets the robustness necessary to haul these 5th wheel trailers. If the 5th wheel device is attached to the frame, I would say it would be robust enough but if attached to the box floorpan...not sure I would want to tow this way. I am not all that familiar with the mid size 5th wheel trailers.

Not much help here...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I didn’t doubt that the Ranger would handle it.
It seems that if the weight ratings are listed at the furthest point away from the rear axle, then shifting the weight over the axle would be dramatically better and more stable.
Scamp wanted a bed mount hitch, whereas I would really prefer frame mounted.
I have seen a few guys on forums with these mounts (gooseneck and 5th wheel) in Rangers, but I haven’t been able to contact them to find out why they used.
It seems like I may just have to use a generic Reese frame kit.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
What the forum thinks the OP is trying to haul

1607357264839.png
I don't think anyone has even suggested the OP is trying to haul that, we just think that the market for 3k pound fifth wheel trailers is so small that there's just not much out there.

I also forgot to note that the short bed and high floor & walls probably don't help.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I don't think anyone has even suggested the OP is trying to haul that, we just think that the market for 3k pound fifth wheel trailers is so small that there's just not much out there.

I also forgot to note that the short bed and high floor & walls probably don't help.
....was just a joke.... ?

OP
OP
WpgLariat

WpgLariat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician

Bed rails can be 58” with the Scamp, no worries there.
Definitely not much out yet for the Ranger. The fact that there exists kits for a composite bed Tacoma and nothing for a Ranger makes me ?.

There are surprising number of lightweight 5th wheel options that are towable with the Ranger.

https://escapetrailer.com/the-5-0-escape/
https://winnebago.com/models/product/towables/fifth-wheel/micro-minnie

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
The fact that there exists kits for a composite bed Tacoma and nothing for a Ranger makes me ?.
Have you tried going to a place that builds / installs fifth wheel hitches? I have no doubt they could build one for you. I'd call the folks that make the Scamp 5th wheel trailers. They should be able to direct you to a place that can build and install one. Likely they'll simply modify one made for an F-150.

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
I do agree with @VAMike a little bit on this. I do understand that the ranger may be able to pull a 5th wheel but when the truck isnt designed to do so from the factory it still becomes a question on a total capacity. With that being said I do understand that the scamp trailers are pretty light in general.

Also the ranger in Australia has a higher towing capacity for some reason.
Generally this is the case, but in looking at the Australian Ford site, the towing capacity is listed at 3500kg for all engines (with tow package I believe). That’s a little over 7700lbs. In my mind, 3500kg and 7500lb are basically the same.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Generally this is the case, but in looking at the Australian Ford site, the towing capacity is listed at 3500kg for all engines (with tow package I believe). That’s a little over 7700lbs. In my mind, 3500kg and 7500lb are basically the same.
If ford could rate the ranger at 7700 in the US and take away chevy's "best in class" crown, they'd do it in a heartbeat. :) There are a lot of little things different between the US and AU versions, and only ford might know how they'd really compare in the same market.

OP
OP
WpgLariat

WpgLariat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
If ford could rate the ranger at 7700 in the US and take away chevy's "best in class" crown, they'd do it in a heartbeat. :) There are a lot of little things different between the US and AU versions, and only ford might know how they'd really compare in the same market.
200lb difference isn’t a big deal.
At this point it’s splitting hairs over a -2.7% difference in rated towing capacity.
It’s too bad the turbo diesel isn’t available in NA.

My original point is that I would like to get a frame mounted goose neck as opposed to bed mounted.
Towing over the axle is infinitely better than the hitch, and more stable.
At 3000lbs, I am so far under the max rating, I doubt I’ll have any issues.

I would rather not drill the frame.
I may have to ask about a custom bracket like someone mentioned.
I just wish I could contact the guy who was already towing with his Ranger and see who did his!

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
200lb difference isn’t a big deal.
At this point it’s splitting hairs over a -2.7% difference in rated towing capacity.
Especially if you compare towing solo+7500lb trailer vs 4 people+gear+7500lb trailer. Could easily break the 6050 gvwr with (4) 200 lb peeps and bed full of gear + 7500 lb trailer, according to my math.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Especially if you compare towing solo+7500lb trailer vs 4 people+gear+7500lb trailer. Could easily break the 6050 gvwr with (4) 200 lb peeps and bed full of gear + 7500 lb trailer, according to my math.
Hi Geo,

The key here is GCW.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
NVM. 12,500 is what im seeing. Even worse. 2 jokers and a duffel bag+7500 lb trailer and your maxed.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You have a link, or know what it is? I couldn't find it
Gross Combined Weight. It is the max weight of the trailer and truck. It is usually much less than Truck GVW plus Trailer GVW. It is in your owners manual.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored