First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Pilot
I just took my new 2020 XLT FX4 in for its initial 5k oil change to the dealer. I used 11,000 for pass points for the change which is cool.

I noticed that the oil life was at around 54% when I took it in. This would imply that Ford recommends oil changes around every 9-11,000 miles.

Does this sound like an interval which is too much? I can't imagine that Ford would be recommending intervals which are too long given that they could make more money with shorter intervals. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
I just took my new 2020 XLT FX4 in for its initial 5k oil change to the dealer. I used 11,000 for pass points for the change which is cool.

I noticed that the oil life was at around 54% when I took it in. This would imply that Ford recommends oil changes around every 9-11,000 miles.

Does this sound like an interval which is too much? I can't imagine that Ford would be recommending intervals which are too long given that they could make more money with shorter intervals. Thoughts?
You've got to understand, the maint. schedule comes from marketing not engineering. I use synthetic and the IOLM @ 75%. That's just what I do.

OP
OP

skydude

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Pilot
You've got to understand, the maint. schedule comes from marketing not engineering. I use synthetic and the IOLM @ 75%. That's just what I do.
If the MX schedule comes from marketing why would they lengthen the MX intervals if that shorts the service departments money? That seems counterintuitive?

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If the MX schedule comes from marketing why would they lengthen the MX intervals if that shorts the service departments money? That seems counterintuitive?
You're speaking dealer level vs corporate. Frankly thats not their main consideration. Corporate marketing is concerned with convincing you that ALL you will have to do is an occasional oil change for 100k miles and cost of maint is Very low. Engineering also provides a severe service schedule that damn near anything you do( frequent short trips or dusty conditions etc) is then required.

OP
OP

skydude

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Pilot
You're speaking dealer level vs corporate. Frankly thats not their main consideration. Corporate marketing is concerned with convincing you that ALL you will have to do is an occasional oil change for 100k miles and cost of maint is Very low. Engineering also provides a severe service schedule that damn near anything you do( frequent short trips or dusty conditions etc) is then required.
I can see that point of view and that makes sense. However, wouldn't the electronic "oil life" thing take into consideration the short trips and cold weather that could make oil more inefficient?

24dRanger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I’ve had a multitude of vehicles. Those with dino oil got changed at 5k. Those with synthetic got changed either at 7.5k or 10k. Oil analysis from multiple companies always suggested oil change interval could be extended. Now I’ve never been a person that subjected the vehicles to harsh conditions, this is just what has worked for me. Everyone needs to make their own decision on what works best for them. Take care

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I can see that point of view and that makes sense. However, wouldn't the electronic "oil life" thing take into consideration the short trips and cold weather that could make oil more inefficient?
It's algorithm can take some of that into account. You have an FX4 and I assume some offroad. It has no way of knowing that you are on a dusty offroad trail or driving thru a mall parking lot. I don't believe any of us here are stretching it too far.

OP
OP

skydude

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Pilot
It's algorithm can take some of that into account. You have an FX4 and I assume some offroad. It has no way of knowing that you are on a dusty offroad trail or driving thru a mall parking lot. I don't believe any of us here are stretching it too far.
Good points, I appreciate all the feedback! I do a little offroading, nothing to write home about. I do like all the input though!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Turbos are hard on oil. Direct injection is hard on oil. Mostly 7500 or so for me, when I was commuting 110 miles a day, I’d go 10k because the oil was barely 2 months old before I’d get there.

Deleted member 1634

As an engineer, who has set a handful of maintenance schedules on products I create and work on, I disagree with your claim based purely on my professional experience. I tend to trust the recommended maintenance schedule on pretty much anything. They designed the product, so they know the best about what needs to be done when and how often. They've done the exhaustive testing and know what's best. Ford wouldn't publish a schedule that would damage or not meet the regulations and requirements for the vehicle. No ethical engineer would allow numbers to be published which would put the user at risk.

In the end, it's your truck and you can ultimately do what you want. Change everything every 1000 miles if you want. It's your time and money. But as an engineer, I'm perfectly comfortable just following the published maintenance schedule in the manual, online, and what the truck tells me needs to be done.

wayhipcat

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX XLT Crew Cab
Occupation
School Psychologist

Oil manufacturers rate their oil to go that long. If you live in a hot and dusty (desert) area, that would shorten that interval, so would off-roading. Keep in mind though, oil is cheap, engines aren't. Peace of mind goes a long way.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Ford States in the owners manual that the oil changes can(key word) go up to 10,000 miles depending on conditions. Personally I prefer to do 5,000 mile oil changes with my truck and thats just to keep things in shape.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
It’s positively foolish to think a 2.5l na engine In a fusion should have the same oil change interval as a 2.3l di turbocharged engine in a truck which both are using the same oil.
Sponsored