First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Also kill half the life of the battery. That's (Lead acid) battery 101 in the RV world
True that!, The BMS in my RV batteries cuts power output at 10% on my Lithium batteries, I wonder if the BMS on the Ranger cuts the LA batteries at the 50% safe level? But in any case I installed a RVI 10A tow battery charger powered by the RV just to be safe, and keep ford from saying the battery ran low in case of issues.
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Also kill half the life of the battery. That's (Lead acid) battery 101 in the RV world
True that!, The BMS in my RV batteries cuts power output at 10% on my Lithium batteries, I wonder if the BMS on the Ranger cuts the LA batteries at the 50% safe level? But in any case I installed a RVI 10A tow battery charger powered by the RV just to be safe, and keep ford from saying the battery ran low in case of issues.
Our batteries are not flooded cell though. They are AGM, which withstands discharges MUCH better from what I understand.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Our batteries are not flooded cell though. They are AGM, which withstands discharges MUCH better from what I understand.
Not really, Activated Glass Mat (AGM) are still lead acid, instead of flooding the battery they suspend the acid in padded glass mats between the plates. Makes them spill proof, and reduces gassing a lot, still subject to the 50% DOD limit without damaging the battery.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Not really, Activated Glass Mat (AGM) are still lead acid, instead of flooding the battery they suspend the acid in padded glass mats between the plates. Makes them spill proof, and reduces gassing a lot, still subject to the 50% DOD limit without damaging the battery.
That could be debated.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/9940/agm-battery-depth-of-discharge-myth-busted

If I were flat towing my Ranger a battery, at less than 10% the cost of a transmission, would be "cheap" insurance. I'd want to cover all the bases.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That could be debated.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/9940/agm-battery-depth-of-discharge-myth-busted

If I were flat towing my Ranger a battery, at less than 10% the cost of a transmission, would be "cheap" insurance. I'd want to cover all the bases.
Exactly why I installed the Tow charger, cheap insurance. I have been flat towing for 15 years, used every 'generation' of battery, and until 'solid state' batteries become a thing I will stick with my LiFePo4 Lithium Iron, which are the best for RV'ers at this time. High output, can go 10% DOD, fast recharge (to rated capacity) and zero maintenance. (and do not need to be ventilated so put them anywhere in any orientation)

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Exactly why I installed the Tow charger, cheap insurance. I have been flat towing for 15 years, used every 'generation' of battery, and until 'solid state' batteries become a thing I will stick with my LiFePo4 Lithium Iron, which are the best for RV'ers at this time. High output, can go 10% DOD, fast recharge (to rated capacity) and zero maintenance. (and do not need to be ventilated so put them anywhere in any orientation)
Makes sense, that works too.

I have this problem, I ask why too much, driven by the need to "get it."

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Makes sense, that works too.

I have this problem, I ask why too much, driven by the need to "get it."
No sweat, the only dumb question is the one not asked!

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
OK, I'm going to throw this out there, because I truly have zero idea how important the battery is in all of this. On my 2018 Explorer, to make it flat-towable I had to start the vehicle, shift into neutral, turn the vehicle off (push button start/stop), THEN disconnect the negative cable from the battery. The shop that installed my baseplate and wiring told me that step was unnecessary, but like many others on this forum, I did it the way the owner's manual specified. It was an extra 30 seconds to do it the way the manual said to.

I'm thinking it's not logical that in one highly-sophisticated 4WD system, the battery MUST be disconnected, while in another one from the same company, the battery CAN'T be disconnected without potentially having catastrophic damage.

Maybe this will spark someone's thought processes, maybe it muddies the water even further.

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
I think it could be a different scenario where the truck is actively monitoring a weakening battery and has to take measures to preserve power.
Wouldn’t you then get the alert that it’s going into sleep mode?

Can’t see how that would be programmed to change the drive settings as the state of charge gets weaker, but I ain’t no guru either.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Wouldn’t you then get the alert that it’s going into sleep mode?

Can’t see how that would be programmed to change the drive settings as the state of charge gets weaker, but I ain’t no guru either.
It seems unlikely.

But look around here and you'll see that our trucks do some weird shit when the battery is getting low.
Sponsored