How Can A 4 Cylinder Tow So Effortlessly?

CarbonTremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor, 04 Jaguar XJR, 21 Bronco Sport
This thread is very confidence inspiring and popped up at the right time. I was just debating this morning towing my new boat about 100miles with the ranger or having it delivered. I'm guessing around 4,500 - 5k lbs . . .think I'm gonna go for it lol
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
This thread is very confidence inspiring and popped up at the right time. I was just debating this morning towing my new boat about 100miles with the ranger or having it delivered. I'm guessing around 4,500 - 5k lbs . . .think I'm gonna go for it lol
The ranger has a factory tow raiting of 7500 lbs. No reason you can't tow 4500 to 5000 lbs with little to no issue.

CarbonTremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor, 04 Jaguar XJR, 21 Bronco Sport
The ranger has a factory tow raiting of 7500 lbs. No reason you can't tow 4500 to 5000 lbs with little to no issue.
Yeah, I'm thinking that also. My only reservation was the distance of about 100miles & maybe hitting some hills. . .also my length over all on trailer is probably going to be around 29'

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yeah, I'm thinking that also. My only reservation was the distance of about 100miles & maybe hitting some hills. . .also my length over all on trailer is probably going to be around 29'
Check out this post #74 here in the towing section. The camper is over 5,100 lbs dry and he had no problem towing it. You'll be fine with yours going 100 miles. :)

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I agree a level truck looks best whether it has a trailer attached or not. I leveled (2.5” spacers) my truck and put some Firestone air bags out back to keep it level. I don’t want my rear any higher than it already is. It’s high enough.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Yes I agree a level truck looks best whether it has a trailer attached or not. I leveled (2.5” spacers) my truck and put some Firestone air bags out back to keep it level. I don’t want my rear any higher than it already is. It’s high enough.
I should also add that those airbags fix a problem you created. The leveling kit is the problem you created

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I didn’t create any problem. Truck looks Precisely how I want it to look at ALL times now. Perfect.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Come on Frenchy with the rake. Yo Ranger ain’t a 72 Nova on Craggers w/ chrome leaf spring bars ha ha!! Just funnin wicha.

ProtonDecay

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I have the

I have the same trailer. What suspension did you go with on your ranger? Also WDH?
Apologies - out & about so just now seeing this. I am running Icon Stage 2 and Air Lift bags on BFG KO2 285/70R17 E range tires. The Icon install is stock, the Air Lift install uses the approach pioneered by DavidR on this site. The Icon is a bit stiff when not towing, but really absorbs well when loaded, settling very quickly after bumps. For WDH I am running an Equal-i-zer and McHitch Uniglide. I plan to get a CAT Scale weight on our trip this week, but so far have tuned it using the Equal-i-zer measurements and it seems fairly well balanced. We do lube everything with Houdini prior to every tow, as the "squeeks" will show up after a few hours if not. I may cave on the Houdini and use grease at some point, but so far it is great not having to worry so much everything getting greasy. The Ecoboost/10 speed combo can overpower the traction even on dry level pavement, and going off-road requires 4H, but I don't get any slippage once underway and stopping is very solid for a rig of this weight. Generally very happy with the setup.

Idahocartel

First Name
sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt fx4
Occupation
Film
Apologies - out & about so just now seeing this. I am running Icon Stage 2 and Air Lift bags on BFG KO2 285/70R17 E range tires. The Icon install is stock, the Air Lift install uses the approach pioneered by DavidR on this site. The Icon is a bit stiff when not towing, but really absorbs well when loaded, settling very quickly after bumps. For WDH I am running an Equal-i-zer and McHitch Uniglide. I plan to get a CAT Scale weight on our trip this week, but so far have tuned it using the Equal-i-zer measurements and it seems fairly well balanced. We do lube everything with Houdini prior to every tow, as the "squeeks" will show up after a few hours if not. I may cave on the Houdini and use grease at some point, but so far it is great not having to worry so much everything getting greasy. The Ecoboost/10 speed combo can overpower the traction even on dry level pavement, and going off-road requires 4H, but I don't get any slippage once underway and stopping is very solid for a rig of this weight. Generally very happy with the setup.
Thanks for all the good info!!!

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
I just got home from a 12 hour tow from Michigan to Connecticut on I-80 (big honking hills in PA). I had the cruise control at 71 the majority of the time and it never faltered, never lost speed and I had the AC on a lot of the time. Fantastic tow vehicle!

IMG_1154.jpeg

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
it never faltered, never lost speed and I had the AC on a lot of the time.
I also remember having to turn the a/c off for power... It was a long time ago ?

ProtonDecay

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for all the good info!!!
Anytime. BTW, ixnay on the oudiniHay. Not enough actual grease in it. Great for locks and such, but I am switching out to either Tri-Flow or Finish Line for the hitch. Will know after this next trip.
Sponsored