How Can A 4 Cylinder Tow So Effortlessly?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
So my first real bit of towing today, even though it was well below the Ranger rated max.

I'm gonna guess around 4.5k lbs total.

Handled it with Zero effort.

Up hills, down hills, never lacking for power.

I've towed this same setup with my Bronco and my old Frontier before.

The Ranger readily thumps them both.

Hey Ford, :like:

IMG_0898.jpeg
Sponsored

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Towed a bobcat with mine not long ago. When I arrived at destination got out and thought to my self, daym that was easy!
not bad. I've wondered how large of a mini-ex the ranger could handle before the weight got excessive. obviously not one of the bigger ones, but I bet one of the smaller ones would fit under the towing limits.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So my first real bit of towing today, even though it was well below the Ranger rated max.

I'm gonna guess around 4.5k lbs total.

Handled it with Zero effort.

Up hills, down hills, never lacking for power.

I've towed this same setup with my Bronco and my old Frontier before.

The Ranger readily thumps them both.

Hey Ford, :like:

IMG_0898.jpeg
In reality a lot of it comes down to the combination between the 10-speed automatic and the fact that the engine is turbocharged. Those two combined really make a huge difference for the Ranger. Don't get me wrong it surprises a lot of people but none the less I really really like it myself.

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser VX Limited
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Towed around 4.5k pounds in a 12ft Uhaul enclosed trailer a couple weeks ago. No issues even when crossing the smokey mountains. I see why the Ranger is so highly regarded for towing in the mid size truck segment.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
I pulled about 6600 pounds ('90 Bronco on a U-Haul auto flatbed) 10-ish miles with mine. Could definitely tell the weight was back there, but it still did a good job. Part of that trip was on a dirt road.

ProtonDecay

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I guess I took Ford at their word that the truck can tow 7500 lbs and proceeded accordingly.

We are towing a Black Series HQ15, which is 4,700 lb dry, ~ 5,500 wet, with the truck coming in just a bit over 5,000 lb (after market suspension, sliders, larger tires, front bumper, winch, limited crap in the back). I am definitely using a WDH on highway and have AirLift airbags running around 50 lbs each. (for the nanny-state snowflakes that can't resist trying to shame me - this combo is 73.3% of max tow and 88.3% of max combined weight ratings).

So far it tows really great! We're not tearing up the interstates at 80, but 60 mph is more or less doable all day long on anything except the steepest grades. The 10 speed and turbo are amazing. Fuel mileage sucks at around 10 mpg, but is within tolerance for a gasser (I have generally experienced 8-12 with trailers this size on gas engines), especially considering the increased ride height of both truck and trailer.

Only about 1,000 miles so far and only a few steep ascents/descents (Donner on 80, doesn't really count; Altamont on 580, which is a decent climb; and the road out to Usal Beach, which is also dirt and was steep enough to get us to air down and pop into 4H). We've been through some pretty gusty (am guessing 40 mph, more or less) side winds and while I sometimes feel a push it's nowhere near white knuckle territory and the truck continues centered in the lane.

Some of this is the trailer, with independent trailing arm suspension and 20,000 lb hitch, designed for off-road action, but so far the truck is doing everything asked without complaint.

To be honest, I didn't buy this truck intending to tow this trailer, and I might switch out to a different truck in a few years or if I blow this one up.

Anyway, here's a pic:

20210724_070012.jpg

(yes, I know the truck is behind the trailer and facing the wrong direction ;-) )

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Glad to hear your having good results towing your camper.
We're going to be ordering a new travel trailer to replace our motor home. It's a 24 footer with dry weight of around 5600 and wet around 6200-6400 lbs, hitch weight around 600 lbs.
Obviously we will not be setting any land/speed records, but it's nice to hear from those who are now towing that the Ranger is a capable tow vehicle. Not too worried about mpg as our motor home on a good day will only get 8-10 mpg. Just wish the tank, as others have noted, was a bit larger, say 25 gallons. :like:

Idahocartel

First Name
sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt fx4
Occupation
Film
I guess I took Ford at their word that the truck can tow 7500 lbs and proceeded accordingly.

We are towing a Black Series HQ15, which is 4,700 lb dry, ~ 5,500 wet, with the truck coming in just a bit over 5,000 lb (after market suspension, sliders, larger tires, front bumper, winch, limited crap in the back). I am definitely using a WDH on highway and have AirLift airbags running around 50 lbs each. (for the nanny-state snowflakes that can't resist trying to shame me - this combo is 73.3% of max tow and 88.3% of max combined weight ratings).

So far it tows really great! We're not tearing up the interstates at 80, but 60 mph is more or less doable all day long on anything except the steepest grades. The 10 speed and turbo are amazing. Fuel mileage sucks at around 10 mpg, but is within tolerance for a gasser (I have generally experienced 8-12 with trailers this size on gas engines), especially considering the increased ride height of both truck and trailer.

Only about 1,000 miles so far and only a few steep ascents/descents (Donner on 80, doesn't really count; Altamont on 580, which is a decent climb; and the road out to Usal Beach, which is also dirt and was steep enough to get us to air down and pop into 4H). We've been through some pretty gusty (am guessing 40 mph, more or less) side winds and while I sometimes feel a push it's nowhere near white knuckle territory and the truck continues centered in the lane.

Some of this is the trailer, with independent trailing arm suspension and 20,000 lb hitch, designed for off-road action, but so far the truck is doing everything asked without complaint.

To be honest, I didn't buy this truck intending to tow this trailer, and I might switch out to a different truck in a few years or if I blow this one up.

Anyway, here's a pic:

20210724_070012.jpg

(yes, I know the truck is behind the trailer and facing the wrong direction ;-) )

Anyway, here's a pic:

20210724_070012.jpg

I have the

Anyway, here's a pic:

20210724_070012.jpg

I have the same trailer. What suspension did you go with on your ranger? Also WDH?

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
yep. Towing a flat car hauler with car, my Ranger does much better even over the mountain passes than my 00 F250 7.3L powerstroke Diesel did. Great engine/drivetrain.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
It looks like you have a bit too much tongue weight as the back is squating, might want to load that equipment further to the rear on the trailer. I do love the fact that the bush hog is also a Ford :)

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It looks like you have a bit too much tongue weight as the back is squating, might want to load that equipment further to the rear on the trailer. I do love the fact that the bush hog is also a Ford :)
You may be correct but at the same time it is also the result of leveling a truck vs lifting a truck!! The one thing I mention on here and people dont want to understand!! Lol

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
When you have the proper amount of tongue weight the back of the truck is going to squat a little bit, this also makes it tow very nicely with no fishtailing. Looks good to me.

Yes we’re gonna need that lift versus level thing explained. When you “Level” your truck you are also “lifting” the truck lol.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
You may be correct but at the same time it is also the result of leveling a truck vs lifting a truck!! The one thing I mention on here and people dont want to understand!! Lol
Sorry couldn't stop myself :) Hauled many a trailer across the country, and yes it you level the front it takes out the OEM 'rake' that compensates a bit for rear end squat. The main issue with that rear droop is in an emergency stop situation, forward force of the trailer is not lateral to the truck, forcing the rear down, thus lifting weight off of the front wheels, and may cause you to lose traction and steering control. This is a worst case senerio but I have seen it. Just my OCD kicking in I guess.

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
When you have the proper amount of tongue weight the back of the truck is going to squat a little bit, this also makes it tow very nicely with no fishtailing. Looks good to me.

Yes we’re gonna need that lift versus level thing explained. When you “Level” your truck you are also “lifting” the truck lol.
Well lets see here.... When a truck comes to the dealer from the factory is has rake(the enemy of most of you LOL). A leveling kit takes the rake away. What happens when you do that? Well of course its level but what happens when you load it? The front becomes higher and causes problems like not as much traction on the front tires, headlights not hitting the road like they need to be, and also make it where you may not see the road since you now noeed to look over the hood.

A proper lift(as in it keeps the rake) will not have this problem near as much. Also when loaded it doesnt look stupid. Look at exhibit A for a great example of a truck with a lift that also has a load!!

0803201851.jpg
Sponsored