300 HP with Higher Octane Fuel?

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Do you know if that was with the new 5 star tune or just higher octane fuel as the post is titled?

Gotta say, the speed pickup was super impressive.

Edit: I was thinking about it and I wonder if the video was the truck on a Dyno or on the road. The quick acceleration between gears would be a huge difference. IF it was on the road, and you're pushing the over 4,000 lb truck, that's awfully impressive. If on a Dyno different story.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rangerdanger

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know if that was with the new 5 star tune or just higher octane fuel as the post is titled?

I believe it’s the 93 performance tune.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Any feel of anything better using 93?
I would think a turbo engine would benefit from using premium.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
The video isn't working and I can't seem to find it on their Facebook page. I wonder if they took it down.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
The video isn't working and I can't seem to find it on their Facebook page. I wonder if they took it down.
Video working fine for me still, and to answer the question above on fuel, yes you can feel a difference with 93. Mostly in your wallet, but there's some improvement on the butt dyno. It's already spinning tires and using traction control with 87, it might go from 40-60 faster though.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription

Edit: I was thinking about it and I wonder if the video was the truck on a Dyno or on the road. The quick acceleration between gears would be a huge difference. IF it was on the road, and you're pushing the over 6,000 lb truck, that's awfully impressive. If on a Dyno different story.
It’s on the road and not the dyno. You can see slight steering adjustments being made which would never be done on the dyno and the rolling weight of the ranger in crew cab 4wd is right around 4550 lbs. 6050 is the gross weight if loaded.

Defiantly wouldn’t be as quick at 6050lbs but at 4550 this looks pretty reasonable.

Five56

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2001 Mustang GT Vert
Vehicle Showcase
My 01 GT was stock about 270, a few bolt ons and a 93 octane (SCT) tune and it's around 300...

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Octane is not a measure of quality or power of the fuel. It is a measure of how fast the fuel burns. High octane burns slower which is what a high compression engine needs. Turbo or not doesn't make a difference. (93 burns slower than 87 to keep hot parts from pre-igniting that causes pinging.. That's it.The engine HAS to be TUNED for the octane used.

If the stock tuning is used there is no benefit to using 93 at all. Nada...Maybe a Placebo effect.

It’s possible that some issue like carbon build up or a clogged EGR passage may cause the engine to start knocking with 87 octane. Then the knock sensor picks this up and causes the engine computer to retard the timing, which can reduce the MPG.

Tune the engine for the fuel used. Otherwise, there is zero benefit to higher octane fuel

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Octane is not a measure of quality or power of the fuel. It is a measure of how fast the fuel burns. High octane burns slower which is what a high compression engine needs. Turbo or not doesn't make a difference. (93 burns slower than 87 to keep hot parts from pre-igniting that causes pinging.. That's it.The engine HAS to be TUNED for the octane used.

If the stock tuning is used there is no benefit to using 93 at all. Nada...Maybe a Placebo effect.

It’s possible that some issue like carbon build up or a clogged EGR passage may cause the engine to start knocking with 87 octane. Then the knock sensor picks this up and causes the engine computer to retard the timing, which can reduce the MPG.

Tune the engine for the fuel used. Otherwise, there is zero benefit to higher octane fuel
You sir are respectfully incorrect. All of the ecoboost sensors add timing and pull fuel based on information from their multiple knock sensors. This is well known at this point, and has been around for quite a long time.

That said, an aftermarket tune greatly increases this effect as it shifts the "tables" forward so they no longer work properly with 87.

The 2013 Focus ST is a good example as it was rated using premium fuel. This is also in the Ranger owners manual but it doesn't go into exact numbers.

Bubbabiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
Ecoboost uses OAR (Octane Adjust Ratio) for timing adjustments for the octane used. Uses the knock sensors to either add or subtract timing. The ECM will continue to add timing until knock is detected and then will back off till the knock is removed. The 2.7L and 3.5L Ecoboost rated for 87 octane in the F150 will see a gain of around 20+ HP when using premium fuel.
https://www.cobbtuning.com/ford-ecoboost-and-the-octane-adjust-ratio-monitor/

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost uses OAR (Octane Adjust Ratio) for timing adjustments for the octane used. Uses the knock sensors to either add or subtract timing. The ECM will continue to add timing until knock is detected and then will back off till the knock is removed. The 2.7L and 3.5L Ecoboost rated for 87 octane in the F150 will see a gain of around 20+ HP when using premium fuel.
https://www.cobbtuning.com/ford-ecoboost-and-the-octane-adjust-ratio-monitor/
This is entirely more pronounced in hot climates, in the winter where temps are always pretty low, you will see less gain. On a 100F degree day, baking on blacktop the fuel will make a big difference.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
They say the engine runs at it's peak stoichiometric ratio just before it pops a head gasket.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Naa, headgaskets don't go, it's the ringlands that do the popping.
Sponsored