Sponsored

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I suspect warranty issues, emission issues, and mileage issues. I'll stick to the stock config at least until the drivetrain warranty expires and probably beyond that.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I suspect warranty issues, emission issues, and mileage issues. I'll stick to the stock config at least until the drivetrain warranty expires and probably beyond that.
I will be going up to see panda...so we will see what they get.
Regards
Doc

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Yes, you will see a highway mileage improvement (I did on my focus) until you start getting into heavy bolt-ons city mileage will tank. The problem is you can't stop pushing the gas pedal hard, so you then see a massive hit to fuel mileage. The transmission should hold up fine as it's in the F150's already, and they make plenty of power. You will also likely pass most (visual, obdII, even sniffer most likely) emissions tests unless you start tearing catalytic converters off. Even still, you can easily detune to factory and go back for the emissions test.

Also I'd not recommend towing close to the limit with a tune as the engine will already be working very hard, and adding power could overwhelm a few different things, one of which being the cooling system.

Oh, and most importantly, if you have an engine of transmission failure while tuned, it's trivial for the dealer/ford to find out it was tuned, and deny your claim. Will they? Maybe, maybe not. Is it worth $10-15K in parts and labor? You decide...

Some dealers are cool, others are looking for a reason.

RodSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dakota
.. Is it worth $10-15K in parts and labor? You decide...

Some dealers are cool, others are looking for a reason.
I would never pay a dealer to fix something out of warranty that I or a competent independent repair facility can fix for 25% to 50% of the dealer price.

If I blew the motor I would pull it myself and have it built to a spec that can handle the mods and still save money over a standard dealer reacememt motor.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, and most importantly, if you have an engine of transmission failure while tuned, it's trivial for the dealer/ford to find out it was tuned, and deny your claim.
It's very easy for the dealer / service tech to see if it has been tuned. I have a friend, and his sister's cousin's boyfriends uncle knows a guy that works at one of the big 3, and he is an engineer that deals with these systems and has dealt with them at another big motorcycle company. He said there is a counter of sorts that counts how many times the ECU has been "flashed"....so, they know....not trivial to them at all.

Just have to find a "mod friendly" dealer / service tech. They are few and far between, but they do exist.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It's very easy for the dealer / service tech to see if it has been tuned. I have a friend, and his sister's cousin's boyfriends uncle knows a guy that works at one of the big 3, and he is an engineer that deals with these systems and has dealt with them at another big motorcycle company. He said there is a counter of sorts that counts how many times the ECU has been "flashed"....so, they know....not trivial to them at all.

Just have to find a "mod friendly" dealer / service tech. They are few and far between, but they do exist.
It's pretty trivial task to implement a counter or other such method to tell if the ECU has been flashed.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
I've had modified vehicles all my life from Dodge, Ford, Honda and Toyota and I have yet to have issue taking anything I've owned to the service department. When I worked for Dodge, the service department had a customer bring in a SRT-10 Ram 1500 that had twin turbos and the service people had everyone come see with the biggest sense of awe over it. You see a lot of modified cars and usually the service people had really friendly relationships with the owners. When I took my Fiesta ST in, I had the service writer brag about the customer he had the prior week with the fastest ST they've seen. There are plenty of dealerships that have car nuts who will take care of you and gladly give a thumbs up to your tuned ride.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
It's pretty trivial task to implement a counter or other such method to tell if the ECU has been flashed.
The first indication they get is, it shows # of key cycles. If it has 20k on it and shows a total of 6 key cycles........Hum, may need to look a little deeper.

Bubbabiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
Typically the dealer won't deny the warranty on the vehicle but can deny the warranty for anything powertrain related (engine, transmission, etc) if a tuner is present. Just use at your own risk.

Personally I use premium for the extra HP gain without a tuner and leave the warranty intact.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Typically the dealer won't deny the warranty on the vehicle but can deny the warranty for anything powertrain related (engine, transmission, etc) if a tuner is present. Just use at your own risk.

Personally I use premium for the extra HP gain without a tuner and leave the warranty intact.
That's the approach I would take as well if I decided I wanted more pony power.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
I have been personally involved with Ford warranty claims, that the vehicle had been or was currently (SCT tuner on the seat) tuned. The question Ford asked was "can you be 100% positive that the tune caused the damage"? Hard for the dealer to answer that yes, knowing he may end up explaining how he determined that, in court. Biggest issue is dealer can not update anything with IDS if it has a tune in it. When it is 1st plugged in, it identifies the vehicle type. I remember a 6.7 SD that identified as a 10 year old Focus. If the tune is in it when taken in, you risk losing your tune. Dealer has no way of loading it back in. I ran one in my Mustang from day 1 and did not worry. It's your truck and your decision. .......Your results may vary.

lovers.jpg

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I have personally seen Ford ask for the ECU to be mailed to them for analysis. I've seen 100's of F150 guys denied engine warranty when rod exits block. A rebuild 2.0 based 2.3L engine runs about $6K (which is what you would want since it's good for 700+HP without windowing).

Lots of time it's not up to the dealer as Ford will ask for details and deny the claim on their own. An SRT Ram is like a Corvette, they rarely deny warranties on the super expensive vehicles as they know the owner overpaid anyways :)

Take a cruise through the Facebook page Ecoboosted and see all the warranty nonsense that goes on. There is a good mod friendly dealer in Michigan, where the service writer is super nice. I should invite her to join up here as she's treated the Focus ST and RS people very well in the past.
Sponsored