2wd vs. 4wd

CheapObligation3

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Looking into buying a 2007 Ford Ranger Sport but wanted to get some thoughts/insight on 2wd vs. 4wd.

The truck I'm looking at is a 2 Wheel Drive, 3L v6 Automatic (204000km/127000mi). It would be my first vehicle and I'm a pretty avid hiker so I'm looking for something that can handle Forest Service Roads reasonably well.

Those with 2wd, what have your experiences been like off-road and what are the 2wd Ranger's capabilities/limits?
Sponsored

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
Id say it depends on your use, I drive primarily on the road so 2WD is fine for me, I have the FX2 model -- looks like a 4X with upgraded suspension (so they say) and tires. One thing I do like is the elec. locking rear end that will (hopefully) help out if I need it. This forum is mostly the newer series since they restarted in 2019 --- the 07 is a different series and Im not familiar with them but in general, If you don't need 4x it adds cost, more maintenance etc and drops mpg a bit------ but if you need it, its worth it. Id say consider your use - what do you need it to do? most trucks can handle light dirt roads but not heavy trails so where will you be going with it??? good luck with your new truck!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Looking into buying a 2007 Ford Ranger Sport but wanted to get some thoughts/insight on 2wd vs. 4wd.

The truck I'm looking at is a 2 Wheel Drive, 3L v6 Automatic (204000km/127000mi). It would be my first vehicle and I'm a pretty avid hiker so I'm looking for something that can handle Forest Service Roads reasonably well.

Those with 2wd, what have your experiences been like off-road and what are the 2wd Ranger's capabilities/limits?
Hi Morgan,

At our Romeo Proving Ground we had a 4x4 course that challenged the 4x4 vehicle like the Ranger 4x4. I could do almost the whole course in 4x2 mode except for a deep mud bog, where 4z4 was needed. For forest roads that do not include rock hopping you would likely be okay with a 4x2. The 3.0 l motor is quite robust and we test to 150,000 miles of 90% customer, a customer that totally abuses their vehicle like oil field service, mining operations etc, so if the vehicle was well maintained, you should have a good useful life with 2007 Ranger. One thing I would advise is Do Not change the auto trans fluid. Check the dip stick of the trans and if the fluid smells and looks burnt....Avoid this vehicle.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
I had an '87 ranger 2x2. Never again will I buy another 2 wheel drive truck. Any tiny bit of snow, you will be going sideways. It was great in Texas, not so much in snowy country.

07XLT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ranger XLT 2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
I had an '87 ranger 2x2. Never again will I buy another 2 wheel drive truck. Any tiny bit of snow, you will be going sideways. It was great in Texas, not so much in snowy country.
Put proper snow tires on and that is not an issue as I have done on my 2007 2wd for 13 years with 300lb in the back. Admittedly we get way less snow in Ohio than Maine
As for the OP question, my 2wd 2007 has ben fine but I have not done any kind of off roading with it so I wouldn't want to try to sway too much but I think the tires would make a difference there as well

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I drove 2wd Rangers and Sport Tracs with zero issues, all over the Adirondack in NY, and all over the white mountains in NH and ME. Just like others said, get good snow tires and weight for winter. Hell, get good tires for summer too. Check out www.therangerstation.com for help with the older Rangers.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I didn't need 4x4 but I got a good deal on a 2019 on clearance with it or I would have been fine with the 2wd but I would have wanted the locking dif.

krisrayner

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Ranger FX2
A 2 wheel drive can handle forest service roads just fine, depending on condition. Good tires are a must and in time you might find a suspension upgrade of some kind to be valuable.
Any older vehicle (basically not new, as far as Iā€™m concerned) should get looked over by a shop BEFORE buying. Iā€™ve done too many POST-purchase inspections, only to give the customer a long list of needs that could could have either helped negotiate the price or steered them away from a money pit.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
Mine is a commuter / Home Depot run truck with occasional use in our Texas ice or snow and some dirt roads, I had an F150 4x4 that was great all around (I loved that truck!) but just to big for most places I need to go (parking lots and garages) I only used the 4wd twice in 5 years and likely didn't really need it. I could have gotten a 19 with 4wd for about the same as the 20 2wd but this one had a few more features (heated seats :like: and slightly better mpg) so the FX2 was a great compromise for me - I did choose it because or the locking rear end otherwise the 2wd is really a one wheel drive (plus brake based traction control) and if that tire has no traction you really don't move much... Just have to consider your use and need - if you think you may need 4wd it is totally worth the cost but in reality, a 2wd gets the job done most of the time.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL

I previously had a 2003 Ranger 2wd. I used it to get me to quite a few trailheads, and the only forest roads it couldn't handle were ones with substantial snow cover. When I climbed Mt Baker, I had to chain up to make it the last 1/2 mile to the trailhead, and as I was putting the chains on, a Honda Element zipped up the road with no apparent issue.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
JMO
I grew up in the Chicago suburbs with 2wd/fwd. Finally 20 years ago I bought my first 4x4 and I'm NEVER going back as long as I live and travel through the Midwest. I know there is a huge amount of anti-AWD/4x4 folks and thats fine. Its a personal choice.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Personally I went with the 4x4 because they had no 4x2s and I wanted the skid plates. The fx2 plates are just decorative so Iā€™m glad I went with the fx4

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Personally I went with the 4x4 because they had no 4x2s and I wanted the skid plates. The fx2 plates are just decorative so Iā€™m glad I went with the fx4
thats interesting are they lighter steel or the pressboard they use on the car-line?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Hi Morgan, In the pictures below I was in 2wd the whole time except for when I hit the sandy washes (deer picture). Not that this was anything rugged but I still had to stay around 5-10 mph max. It was a trail I saw off the road yesterday as we were on our way back from Wickenburg and I decided to check it out,it was about a 10 mile loop. There were a few good inclines/declines and some small rocky areas but nothing crazy and I never had any problems in 2wd. You should have no problems handling the service roads with a 2wd.

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

IMG_2328.jpg

IMG_2320.jpg

IMG_2330.PNG
Sponsored