Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Writer/Editor
Hello all,

On my 2020 Ranger FX4, the 4WD selector knob turns continuously in either direction. That is, it has detents so you can select 2H, 4H, or 4L, but you can keep turning the knob in either direction. I'm assuming this is normal, but just want to confirm that it's supposed to work this way. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Neal
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all,

On my 2020 Ranger FX4, the 4WD selector knob turns continuously in either direction. That is, it has detents so you can select 2H, 4H, or 4L, but you can keep turning the knob in either direction. I'm assuming this is normal, but just want to confirm that it's supposed to work this way. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Neal
HI Neal,

That is how my 2019 Ranger FX4 works....normal...watch which light is illuminated..

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

ClannRois

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Writer/Editor
HI Neal,

That is how my 2019 Ranger FX4 works....normal...watch which light is illuminated..

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil,

Any idea why they did it this way? It seems like it would make more sense to have the knob stop at either end of the selections.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Phil,

Any idea why they did it this way? It seems like it would make more sense to have the knob stop at either end of the selections.
Hi Neal,

Not part of the decision on how this operates and it is much the same as our daughter's Escape for transmission selection. Seems to be the "in vogue" way to operate some controls...no detentes. and positive stops.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering'
Ford Motor Co. Reitered

OP
OP

ClannRois

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Writer/Editor
Hi Neal,

Not part of the decision on how this operates and it is much the same as our daughter's Escape for transmission selection. Seems to be the "in vogue" way to operate some controls...no detentes. and positive stops.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co.
I'd imagine it's because there's multiple ways to put the truck into 4WD. Either by the knob or selecting any to the terrain modes. So if there was physical stops on the knob and a physical way of showing what drive it is in, then they would need to have a motor in the knob to move it when you select sand mode for instance and it automatically puts the truck into 4H.

Pretty sure that's why new 4WD vehicles from Ford seem to have a button for the 4WD selection and a knob for the terrain modes.
Makes sense. All part of getting to know our new Rangers! I have to admit I've spent more time reading the manual on this one than for any previous vehicle. Thanks guys.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I didnt read the other post just because I didnt really feel like it but to answer your question yes it is normal for the switch to do so. As long as you are not going crazy and spinning it clockwise or counter clockwise a few revolutions then you should be fine.

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
My 2019 STX turns and turns and turns. My rotary shifter in my 2020 GT500 does not. It only has 4 positions. PRND.
I know they are not the same thing exactly but still, odd one spins like a top. Obviously it makes sense why the other would not, but you question why the 4x4 does?

Last edited:

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I miss the days when you had an extra stick on the Trans Hump and it took a bicep to get into 4L.

Ranger Danger01

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I miss the days when you had an extra stick on the Trans Hump and it took a bicep to get into 4L.
If there was an extra stick on the Trans Hump then there would probably be a damper (@AzScorpion :tumbleweed:... king of the damper committee) for it just like the tailgate...

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Less chance of breaking if hit sitting in that location. It just spins. Still works. If future options added to models, knob design would still work. Panels below changed with added items.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
I'd imagine it's because there's multiple ways to put the truck into 4WD. Either by the knob or selecting any of the terrain modes. So if there was physical stops on the knob and a physical way of showing what drive it is in, then they would need to have a motor in the knob to move it when you select sand mode for instance and it automatically puts the truck into 4H.

Pretty sure that's why new 4WD vehicles from Ford seem to have a button for the 4WD selection and a knob for the terrain modes.
This, I'd guess.

If you press TM to get into 4WD then the knob would be in the wrong position.

They could have went with buttons like my old '98 GMC Jimmy had. They'd only have to light up the right button if/when the change happened via software.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Hi Neal,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Reitered
Yes - those little rotating dials for terrain management modes seem to be all the rage with numerous TV ads showing the driver rotating that little knob and immediatedly transforming the vehicle into an offroad monster - Hyundai, Nissan are 2 that I recall seeing of late . Nissan I think is really stupid as the driver is soliciting passenger input as to which terrain mode is best for the conditions.
I like to keep both hands wrapped around the steering wheel but will bring the wife along when I venture off road to handle those "knob" twisting duties, but don't like it to be rotated full circle.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes - those little rotating dials for terrain management modes seem to be all the rage with numerous TV ads showing the driver rotating that little knob and immediatedly transforming the vehicle into an offroad monster - Hyundai, Nissan are 2 that I recall seeing of late . Nissan I think is really stupid as the driver is soliciting passenger input as to which terrain mode is best for the conditions.
I like to keep both hands wrapped around the steering wheel but will bring the wife along when I venture off road to handle those "knob" twisting duties, but don't like it to be rotated full circle.
Hi DTech,

My wife is an expert button pusher...maybe TMI.... :)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
My guess is that it all comes down to cost and commonality. I've seen this same knob on several Fords I've driven recently. Mechanically they're all the same, with the only physical difference being the labeling. Any other difference is defined via software.
Sponsored

Reactions: EJH