2022 transmission needs "overhaul" - just left the dealer.

ambit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SCAB 4x4
My 2021 XL w/ 35,000mi is in the shop with jerky/harsh transmission shifts. Mostly from 1-2 gear.
I took it in about a month ago and they did 'TSB 23-2350' (which i think was a typo of 23-2250) and it was ok for about a week then started acting up again.

Today they called me and said the valve body and 'hub' (I think she meant the CDF drum) need to be replaced under another TSB. Parts will take a few days and won't have the truck back for about 10 days.
Sponsored

AghastVenus1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Tremor
My 2021 XL w/ 35,000mi is in the shop with jerky/harsh transmission shifts. Mostly from 1-2 gear.
I took it in about a month ago and they did 'TSB 23-2350' (which i think was a typo of 23-2250) and it was ok for about a week then started acting up again.

Today they called me and said the valve body and 'hub' (I think she meant the CDF drum) need to be replaced under another TSB. Parts will take a few days and won't have the truck back for about 10 days.
23-2350 is correct. That's the most recent TSB as of November 14 of last year.

Attachments

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
My 22 transmission really is shifting like crap when it's cold at this point and crazy downshifting when warmed up. Only about 4.5 k miles and this thread has me wondering if it may have a problem. Built 3/22 and wasn't really bad until now. Wonder if it has anything to do with pandemic quality.

AghastVenus1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Tremor
Usually 2nd gear is skipped, unless you have a tune.
That reminds me, I will say as an additional note for @Stevedbvik1 When I initially mentioned the harsh shifting to the dealership and describing what I read on here, I was already in for a scheduled oil change. I noticed that the oil change took suspiciously longer than normal, and I also noticed afterward that my shift pattern had changed somewhat and it was for sure using 2nd gear more often. One suspicion I had was that the tech went ahead and did the reprogram while I was in for my oil change knowing it was probably going to be back for the transmission.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
You are missing one important note of a TSB

NOTE: This article is for information only. Determine the causal part number and use available labor times in Section 7 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual or claim M-time in accordance with the Warranty and Policy Manual. Causal part number IN in this article refers to the information only status and is not able to be claimed.

A TSB is a general guidance to the technician to resolve the issue, it is not mandatory to follow it verbatim.

Now the main question is the proper communication between the dealer and Ford Corporate.
Ford may force the dealer to back step and perform the other options first.
I am thinking it matters if it is a High-Volume shop then they might get the Green Light for jumping to replacement.

So mainly you the owner are at the mercy of the dealer and what they are willing to do, if they are willing to fight for you to get the proper fix then you are golden if not you are stuck playing the (Band-Aid) repair and let's see what it does after we do this. Bring it back if it acts up.

Now a RECALL is another matter, it MUST be followed verbatim with no deviation.
That’s where I am at with mine. Dealer says that Ford says they have to do it this way so that’s what they did. But the TSB has verbiage along the line that states “ do this and if ok stop, if not then proceed “ so that’s why I was questioning the steps that led to a full transmission replacement. I guess that I’ll have to play the game. Thanks for the input.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
That reminds me, I will say as an additional note for @Stevedbvik1 When I initially mentioned the harsh shifting to the dealership and describing what I read on here, I was already in for a scheduled oil change. I noticed that the oil change took suspiciously longer than normal, and I also noticed afterward that my shift pattern had changed somewhat and it was for sure using 2nd gear more often. One suspicion I had was that the tech went ahead and did the reprogram while I was in for my oil change knowing it was probably going to be back for the transmission.
That’s highly likely and would explain the steps better . Thanks!

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I think things like is this is why they say to flash back to stock before taking your truck to the dealer for anything unless they did the flash with the ford tune then they should know what to do.

ambit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SCAB 4x4

Got my truck back today 4 days early. Work order confirms TSB 23-2350 was performed previously, issue remained.
'Removed control main, performed overhaul procedure' .. Concern still present
'Removed transmission ... replaced CDF clutch cylinder and required seals.'
Flushed tranny fluid, test drive, etc.

From my short drive tonight it seems to be working perfect, even when cold.

Looks like a total of 41 seals/gaskets were replaced and the CDF hub itself P/N "jr3z 7h351"

nate237

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Solutions Architect
My turn! Just got my 22 Tremor back from getting the updated strategy applied from TSB 23-2350. The behavior hasn't been just horrible yet, but the shifts were harsher than they should have been. It shifts very smoothly now, but we'll see if it stays that way.

OP
OP

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Supercrew
My turn! Just got my 22 Tremor back from getting the updated strategy applied from TSB 23-2350. The behavior hasn't been just horrible yet, but the shifts were harsher than they should have been. It shifts very smoothly now, but we'll see if it stays that way.
Keep an eye on it! Mine felt GREAT when I first got it back....then after a few days, maybe a week or two, it started acting quirky again. Document everything so you can be specific IF you need to take it back, but hopefully it stays smooth for you.

OP
OP

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Supercrew
UPDATE:

I had the valve body overhaul completed back in September. It's been better since, but still off.

I was due for an oil change, so when I scheduled that, I asked them to look at the transmission again. Dropped my truck off at the dealer 1/24. They said they would likely have it for a few days and that if needed, the transmission tech would be sure to spend time driving it...several different trips if need be....which I was glad to hear.

Maybe they'll call me sometime today with an update.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
Keep an eye on it! Mine felt GREAT when I first got it back....then after a few days, maybe a week or two, it started acting quirky again. Document everything so you can be specific IF you need to take it back, but hopefully it stays smooth for you.
Same here. About 12 days on the software flash and 200 miles. Ok at first but quirky again. Going in Monday morning to have chat. 2022 4X4 with 16k on it.
Sponsored