First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
my bridgestones say 51 psi max cold pressure. They seemed mushy at 36 psi which is what the door sticker says. I'll back them down and give it a try. Thanks!
I wont argue that the tires can hold 51 PSI Max but even when towing you should gollow what the vehicle Manufacturer says for tire pressue. I have towed plenty with the Ranger(when i had it) anf with my 2016 Frontier. With both i simply followed what the Manufacturer recommend and did just fine. Also as good guidance when towing a load that size, keep your speeds lower. Yes it will take you a little longer to get there but its better to get there safely then not at all.
Sponsored

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
I dunno wut ah dun wrong........

maxresdefault.jpeg

raytwntrvlr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
retired
Our previous TT setup was a RAM 2500 4x4 Cummins pulling a 30 foot Flagstaff TT. It would sway when passed by a big truck. Our current setup is much smaller and will sway somewhat less when passed by a big truck. I try to be aware of when we are to be overtaken by a big rig, especially if he's coming fast. Then I hug the fog line and mostly it makes the side sway go away. The faster they go and the closer they get makes the side force greater. In my experience, that is.
I don't know this first-hand but I have read somewhere that a single axle trailer is especially sensitive to unequal tire pressure causing towing issues. I carry a compressor and make sure my tires are all equal. Best checked on a cloudy cool morning.
Good luck figuring out your problem. Could very well be a combination of things.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
I wont argue that the tires can hold 51 PSI Max but even when towing you should gollow what the vehicle Manufacturer says for tire pressue. I have towed plenty with the Ranger(when i had it) anf with my 2016 Frontier. With both i simply followed what the Manufacturer recommend and did just fine. Also as good guidance when towing a load that size, keep your speeds lower. Yes it will take you a little longer to get there but its better to get there safely then not at all.
Different size tires will have different air pressure requiresments. If using the stock tire size, go by what the door sticker says. That only applies to stock tires. If you change to larger tires and/or LT tires, you will need to adjust the tire pressure accordingly. I run 50 to 55 pounds in my larger Michelin LTX AT2's. Much better for towing than the stock Hancooks.

OP
OP

BReeves61

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Definitely know your weights. Mine are based on actually weighing the truck and trailer as loaded for travel. Also EJH mentioned a valid point. My rear bump stops have been replaced with the Sumo blue, and my shocks are Bilstein 4600’s. I knew after a test drive I would immediately replace the rear shocks as soon as I got the truck.
thanks!

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Different size tires will have different air pressure requiresments. If using the stock tire size, go by what the door sticker says. That only applies to stock tires. If you change to larger tires and/or LT tires, you will need to adjust the tire pressure accordingly. I run 50 to 55 pounds in my larger Michelin LTX AT2's. Much better for towing than the stock Hancooks.
Very good. Making sure your hitch setup is correct is basic. After you make sure the tongue weight is within limits, and the tongue height is good (trailer to be level, or slightly nose-down), you can confirm your tire pressure setup. The idea is that the air pressure supports the truck by the "contact patch" where the tire meets the road. Skinny tires have a smaller contact patch, so the need a higher pressure to balance the weight properly. Taller tires and wider tires make the contact patch longer or wider, so the same load riding on a bigger tire will require a lower air pressure to balance out properly.

Like this post is suggesting. the factory suggested tire pressure is a good starting point, but if your tires are not stock size, it will NOT be correct. Paying attention to actual wear patterns is always a reliable method to fine-tune your actual setting. But waiting for tires to display a noticeable wear pattern can take time and many miles to observe. The quickest way to accelerate these observations and reliably verify the correct pressure setting is the "chalk test". You can look for it on YouTube. This method is a quick and reliable way to gauge over inflation vs under inflation using your actual tires, and vehicle load conditions.

All that is required is a sidewalk chalk stick and a parking lot / empty street. All you do is set up a known tire pressure, with the vehicle loaded to the specific weight you are interested in setting up. Use the chalk to mark a strip across the width of all (4, 6, or 8) tires. Make it wide enough to get a good reading, maybe a hand-breadth or so (more than one block wide). Drive the truck about a hundred feet or so. Stop and look at the chalk marks. Chalk worn off in the middle of the tread means over inflated, chalk worn off on the sides / shoulders of the tread, under inflated. Once you know the high and low, you can pick a middle setting using your best judgment. Good luck, and hope you get it figured out.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
I had them a max cold psi 51. door sticker says 36 but they seemed mushy
Try 40-45. Door sticker is good a good all around number. Make psi is good for maximum tire load. Probably do 40 in front and 45 in rear based on amount of weight on each axle.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Try 40-45. Door sticker is good a good all around number. Make psi is good for maximum tire load. Probably do 40 in front and 45 in rear based on amount of weight on each axle.
The door sticker is based on the max payload of the truck.

OP
OP

BReeves61

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Very good. Making sure your hitch setup is correct is basic. After you make sure the tongue weight is within limits, and the tongue height is good (trailer to be level, or slightly nose-down), you can confirm your tire pressure setup. The idea is that the air pressure supports the truck by the "contact patch" where the tire meets the road. Skinny tires have a smaller contact patch, so the need a higher pressure to balance the weight properly. Taller tires and wider tires make the contact patch longer or wider, so the same load riding on a bigger tire will require a lower air pressure to balance out properly.

Like this post is suggesting. the factory suggested tire pressure is a good starting point, but if your tires are not stock size, it will NOT be correct. Paying attention to actual wear patterns is always a reliable method to fine-tune your actual setting. But waiting for tires to display a noticeable wear pattern can take time and many miles to observe. The quickest way to accelerate these observations and reliably verify the correct pressure setting is the "chalk test". You can look for it on YouTube. This method is a quick and reliable way to gauge over inflation vs under inflation using your actual tires, and vehicle load conditions.

All that is required is a sidewalk chalk stick and a parking lot / empty street. All you do is set up a known tire pressure, with the vehicle loaded to the specific weight you are interested in setting up. Use the chalk to mark a strip across the width of all (4, 6, or 8) tires. Make it wide enough to get a good reading, maybe a hand-breadth or so (more than one block wide). Drive the truck about a hundred feet or so. Stop and look at the chalk marks. Chalk worn off in the middle of the tread means over inflated, chalk worn off on the sides / shoulders of the tread, under inflated. Once you know the high and low, you can pick a middle setting using your best judgment. Good luck, and hope you get it figured out.
awesome thanks!!

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
every one of those idiots was driving way too fast
There was another clip I posted not too long ago of a pickup pulling an rv trailer, attempting to pass a semi on an up grade while another semi was riding his jake on the down grade. RV rig actually went to the right of the downgrade rig, hitting the retaining wall. Happened in Idaho earlier this summer. :(

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
The Ranger is not an" undersized" tow vehicle for the OP's application.
Improper setup and over speed are WAY ahead of Tow vehicle size on the list of towing concerns,
as clearly shown in the video.
Of course the tow vehicle should be the "right sized" for the application, like any tool for a job.
Overkill alone very soon reaches a point of diminishing returns.

Last edited:

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
The Ranger is not an" undersized" tow vehicle for the OP's application.
Improper setup and over speed are WAY ahead of Tow vehicle size on the list of towing concerns.

Do tells us ole mighty seer of infinite wisdom.....

What exactly is the op seeking? Inquiring minds want to know.

Vikings-The-Seer-1-4203304165.jpg
Sponsored