First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Still scary..... I'm astounded by the number of people who pull mobiles on public highways with pickup trucks (or attempt to). Some nasty stories.... :(

There was a guy busted pulling a mobile home on a U.S. highway in the midwest (Nebraska?) using a Chevy Suburban. Had family riding with him too. State Police found him with an overheated motor on one or more flat tires. Within the last few years. :(
Well if you can put a hitch on it, it must be able to tow things. :rolleyes:
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Yes, it did. This thread 'went off of the rails' with the first post. Self aggrandizement isn't 'credibility'. presenting one's towing knowledge won't assuage those who know more than you and come on a Ranger board telling us the subject truck isn't suitable for towing what? Shame on those who allowed themselves to get caught up in such non sense. Rusty spark plugs anyone?
"aggrandizement".....WOW, that is one neat biggie word !!!!
Oh, still waiting for you to tell us what type of travel trailer you tow.....:giggle:

ProtonDecay

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
If you haven't already, stop by a CAT Scale (many truck stops have them, but if you are in an urban area you may need to head out a bit on a major highway). Get three weighs (in my area, first is $12, then $3 for subsequent). First weigh is rig fully set up (truck front axle, rear axle and trailer) with WDH and sway as currently set. Second weight is same, but remove the WDH bars. Third is just the truck (or, if the Scale is not at all busy, you may be able to get away with unhitching and having the trailer fully on the back pad). Simple math and consulting a WDH setup chart should get you home, but let me know if not (I am by no means a trailer setup expert, but I'll try to help).

Next, is your trailer solid mount or on a suspension (if suspension, what kind?). Is the trailer a solid axle or separate mounts, like Timbren?

Third, check alignment - even if you have a solid axle things might have gotten bent - several videos on yt on how to measure this.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
"aggrandizement".....WOW, that is one neat biggie word !!!!
Oh, still waiting for you to tell us what type of travel trailer you tow.....:giggle:
No one cares what I tow except you - why is that? I have nothing to prove, do you? I have offered no advice on how to tow a trailer and have criticized no one regarding their advice. I have a bit of experience with multi trailer oversize loads (97' in US and Canada) but that is beyond the scope of this commentary. Whenever I need towing advice I sure as heck won't get it from a faceless entity on the internet.

Then, you chose to insert yourself into the position of arbiter. Are you more qualified than anyone here? I could care less - your resume means nothing. If you wish to inflate your self worth, do it in front of a mirror so you will at least have an audience. My terminology was appropriate.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
No one cares what I tow except you - why is that? I have nothing to prove, do you? I have offered no advice on how to tow a trailer and have criticized no one regarding their advice. I have a bit of experience with multi trailer oversize loads (97' in US and Canada) but that is beyond the scope of this commentary. Whenever I need towing advice I sure as heck won't get it from a faceless entity on the internet.

Then, you chose to insert yourself into the position of arbiter. Are you more qualified than anyone here? I could care less - your resume means nothing. If you wish to inflate your self worth, do it in front of a mirror so you will at least have an audience. My terminology was appropriate.
And, I wuv you too !!! ?

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
So, I know what you are feeling. I tow a Geo Pro 19BH which is a single axle trailer probably about 4200lbs loaded for the weekend. Short story, get wheel spacers. If you want all the details, read below lol.

The Temor is already a little wider due to the factory wheel offset but on top of that, adding 1" wheel spacers was magic in taking care of nearly all the wiggle I would feel from passing trucks. I got the 1" wheel spacers mostly for looks but was curious if it would help in towing. Well, WOW I was surprised.

In Utah, well before the gas prices skyrocketing, I would get passed by big rigs doing 80mph (posted speed limit) on the 15fwy while I was at 65-70mph. I would move to the shoulder of my lane but would still get some wiggle. Did the wheel spacers and man, I do not worry about it like I used too. Maybe SOME wiggle still there if I do not move but so little I do not care to move unless there are cross winds or headwinds which play into it too.

Sure it still happens on occasion. This weekend coming back from Havasu a lifted RAM 2500 blew by me probably at 80mph to my 58mph (CA 55mph speed limit) and I felt some wiggle but I didnt move or anything. Nothing incontrollable, plus a cross wind that he interrupted as he passed.

I will just say, wheel spacers were a game changer. Just get quality hub centric ones. Check out Stage3 performance. That is where I got mine. Or, if you do not like wheel spacers that much, change your wheels to the appropriate offset and make that an excuse to upgrade wheels.

You will likely need 1.5" spacers to match my track width. Plus I have 285/70/17 but that is less of a factor I think.

PXL_20220324_173612281.jpg

J Krutsch

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew FX4
I have a 2022 Supercrew and tow a 3500 lb travel trailer. On the interstate it feels every vehicle that passes causing a wiggle to truck and trailer. I have a weight distribution hitch and both truck and trailer are level. We load everything in the front part of the camper. I use a sway bar (brake style)
at medium tight. I pump my tires to the max rating on both truck and trailer as well. It's mainly when someone passes me from behind. What am I missing? Thanks!
Buy a Hensley hitch and you will never be concerned with sway again. Best thing I ever did. Now I can drive relaxed even in a strong wind.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I recently rented/pulled a TT (Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 17RBXL), dual axles with working brakes, about 525lb tongue weight and the trailer at about 4,000lb. Before getting the trailer I topped the fuel at a truck stop and weighed the truck with all we were arriving to the trailer with, truck weighed in at 5560. Adding that to the 525lb tongue weight put us a little over the GVWR of 6050, so we moved things over. Items we put into the trailer were secured under the dining room table area, directly over the axles. We moved about 80lbs from the truck to the trailer when we got it. I had no issues but we were not on any really fast freeways while pulling it either. Max speed while towing about 60mph most of the time, 61-62mph a few areas. Ranger manual states max speed while towing is 62mph so good on the speed according to the book. I prefer dual axle trailers, more stable if there is a blow out, more braking power from them and such too.

Other trailers I've pulled are the car trailer with an Element on it, ~5,200lb but only 350lb on the tongue (Element was as far forward as I could put it with the tire rack on the trailer) and Auto-x club trailer estimated at about 6,000lb with 750lb tongue weight. And a 1,500lb popup with maybe 125lb tongue weight that I've pulled up and down the east coast (FL to PA and back).

So far all have pulled really well for me with the Ranger.
Sponsored