2022 Ranger unstable towing

Jovi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Occupation
Retired
The ranger has a 7500 lb tow limit, a 750 lb tongue weight limit and a 55 sq ft frontal surface limit (For the item being towed). Very few folks are aware or talk about the frontal surface limit. Ford produces a detailed towing manual covering all their towable vehicles. It took me some work to locate it. That’s where I located the frontal surface info. I am attaching it.
Sponsored

Attachments

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Do tells us ole mighty seer of infinite wisdom.....

What exactly is the op seeking? Inquiring minds want to know.

Vikings-The-Seer-1-4203304165.jpg
As pretty much stated in his post, the OP was seeking to safely and comfortably tow a single axle, 3500# trailer with a 2022 CrewCab Ranger.
For further information Oh, GrassHoppa you must now seek out further guidance from the National Enquirer.
( The one jus "zen" of course!) :giggle:

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
As pretty much stated in his post, the OP was seeking to safely and comfortably tow a single axle, 3500# trailer with a 2022 CrewCab Ranger.
For further information Oh, GrassHoppa you must now seek out further guidance from the National Enquirer.
( The one jus "zen" of course!) :giggle:

Common Sense and 'Rocket Science' are two interesting disciplines that don't often intermingle.

gallery_47107_969_4328.jpg

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
The ranger has a 7500 lb tow limit, a 750 lb tongue weight limit and a 55 sq ft frontal surface limit (For the item being towed). Very few folks are aware or talk about the frontal surface limit. Ford produces a detailed towing manual covering all their towable vehicles. It took me some work to locate it. That’s where I located the frontal surface info. I am attaching it.

Except that the frontal area doesn't have as much to do with towing stability, nowhere near the effect of proper loading and weight distribution. Frontal area is more of a concern when it comes to performance, wear on the powertrain and economy.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Different size tires will have different air pressure requiresments. If using the stock tire size, go by what the door sticker says. That only applies to stock tires. If you change to larger tires and/or LT tires, you will need to adjust the tire pressure accordingly. I run 50 to 55 pounds in my larger Michelin LTX AT2's. Much better for towing than the stock Hancooks.
And I'm sure it rides like garbage too

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
No, it rides fine. It's simple physics. Why do you think the max air pressure on my tires says 80 pounds? On the crappy hancooks it's 35, or something ridiculous like that.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
The door sticker is based on the max payload of the truck.
Yes max payload as well as comfort. Same reason people air down off road. Tire pressures can be changed based on the specific use. At max load I would go no lower than the door sticker. However it is good practice to air up a little when towing or hauling.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Do tells us ole mighty seer of infinite wisdom.....

What exactly is the op seeking? Inquiring minds want to know.

Vikings-The-Seer-1-4203304165.jpg
I have to ask....you've posted some negatives, and posted videos, but do you tow a travel trailer.
Asking cause as many others here know, I tow a 24 ft travel trailer, running right at 7000 lbs, and 700 lbs tongue weight, and have towed it for the last 5 months, and 1700 miles, without any problems .
Fully confident in the Ranger, the trailer, and my ability, with over 50 years of experience.
So, I ask, what is your "knowledge" based on ?

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
To the OP...there are many here that are more than willing to help, especially those of us who tow travel trailers. Setting one up is different for every rig. Rather than get into long posts, simply PM any of us, including myself, and maybe we can tell you what we have done to make a tow more pleasurable, what mods we have done, cost, ect.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Review Grumpaw's posts if you like. He's credible. I take his advice.

Although sadly, this thread went a little off the rails :(

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager

Obviously, if there were rails he would not be here asking about wiggle....

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Yes, it did. This thread 'went off of the rails' with the first post. Self aggrandizement isn't 'credibility'. presenting one's towing knowledge won't assuage those who know more than you and come on a Ranger board telling us the subject truck isn't suitable for towing what? Shame on those who allowed themselves to get caught up in such non sense. Rusty spark plugs anyone?

Reactions: EJH

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Common Sense and 'Rocket Science' are two interesting disciplines that don't often intermingle.

gallery_47107_969_4328.jpg
Since we are off the rails, I saw a young woman, probably mid-20s, towing an old 12 ft travel trailer, not a popup or teardrop, with a New Beetle, during a trip to TN last year. It wasn't doing a wheelie but was sagging pretty good in the rear. She was doing around 50mph holding up traffic. It wasn't swaying though. :facepalm:

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Since we are off the rails, I saw a young woman, probably mid-20s, towing an old 12 ft travel trailer, not a popup or teardrop, with a New Beetle, during a trip to TN last year. It wasn't doing a wheelie but was sagging pretty good in the rear. She was doing around 50mph holding up traffic. It wasn't swaying though. :facepalm:
Still scary..... I'm astounded by the number of people who pull mobiles on public highways with pickup trucks (or attempt to). Some nasty stories.... :(

There was a guy busted pulling a mobile home on a U.S. highway in the midwest (Nebraska?) using a Chevy Suburban. Had family riding with him too. State Police found him with an overheated motor on one or more flat tires. Within the last few years. :(
Sponsored