Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Crew 4x4 XLT Blue
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
When I first purchased the truck I tried to live with it to see if I could get used to it and I just can't - its distracting and annoying as hell. I kept forgetting to push that button --- this 'feature' needs to go away!!!!!!

------there are a lot of threads on this with a lot of ideas
what I did is instal this: less than 90 bucks and worth every penny to me! Hate stop start.......

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/...products/2019-ford-ranger-autostop-eliminator

if the link doesn't work, just search autostop eliminator it is a simple wire harness that goes between the switch and the wire harness at the plug there is no cutting or splicing at all it uses ford factory connecters on both ends (the page says that is most of the cost) so it is removable and causes no damage or changes to the truck- the page says no changes to software etc..... its genius!

when you go to the page, watch the video --- it really is that easy to instal and works just like it shows..... I haven't even thought about hitting that stupid button since the day I installed it and that's the way I like it. .:like:
I know there are a lot of other ways to do it (search it you can read for awhile, I know I did.....) but this makes the truck act like a normal car...... when you get in start it the message 'start stop disabled by switch' shows on the display every time and I drive normal --- this thing just remembers whatever position you put the switch in.....

good luck!
Thanks so much! I guess the EPA is all over Ford for even allowing us the option to turn off the A/S/S as Ford got their fuel efficiency numbers with it, and by allowing us to turn it off we alter those numbers.

So for 2021 I have heard numerous times there will no longer even be an option/button for the driver to be able to shut it off.
Sponsored

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
Thanks so much! I guess the EPA is all over Ford for even allowing us the option to turn off the A/S/S as Ford got their fuel efficiency numbers with it, and by allowing us to turn it off we alter those numbers.

So for 2021 I have heard numerous times there will no longer even be an option/button for the driver to be able to shut it off.
I will not buy a car if I can't shut it off --- I just hate it. parking the truck, it would shut off and restart in the second it took to stop and shift from D to P...... stupid......

try this thing - it works and works well. I was kind of hoping they would get rid of this -- I wish I knew how to start a poll thread --- "how many disable start stop" Id love to see a percentage.

Deleted member 1634

I'm not sure how seemingly so many threads on this forum inevitably devolves into a rant about Auto Start Stop...

I'll just say that there are plenty of us who use and enjoy the auto start stop system. We're just not as loud and aggressive about it as those who think it's sent from Satan to destroy all of mankind and rid the world of happiness.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
I will not buy a car if I can't shut it off --- I just hate it. parking the truck, it would shut off and restart in the second it took to stop and shift from D to P...... stupid......
Our Hyundai Santa Fe does this same stupid car trick.

Anyone know any advantages of having the engine restart when shifting to park ?

Racerdave6

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX. 2017 Escape SE
Occupation
Mechanic
We've had the auto stop/start on the Escape for nearly 3 years, and now on my new 2019 Ranger.
I don't even notice it, and if it's getting me better mileage I'm all for it. But it's not just about mileage, it's also about carbon credits. Many manufacturers have auto stop/start, and I would expect in the future the ability to disable it will be removed. I'd say get used to it.

danger_ranger_xlt

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Photographer
Vehicle Showcase
Expected 2022 at the earliest
Too soon.
Will the 2021 model be the new platform or the same as the 2019/2020? I could not seem to find a definitive answer. I am about to purchase a Ranger XLT FX4 but am in no rush and don't want to kick myself if the new one is right around the corner.

thanks!
You're looking at 4-5 years with this platform at least.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure how seemingly so many threads on this forum inevitably devolves into a rant about Auto Start Stop...

I'll just say that there are plenty of us who use and enjoy the auto start stop system. We're just not as loud and aggressive about it as those who think it's sent from Satan to destroy all of mankind and rid the world of happiness.
I don't love it or hate it, just find it annoying, but driving in Sport all the time is more fun than driving in Drive, and it automatically turns off Auto Start Stop. End of story....

Deleted member 1634

I don't love it or hate it, just find it annoying, but driving in Sport all the time is more fun than driving in Drive, and it automatically turns off Auto Start Stop. End of story....
I'm fine with people having their opinions and doing their own things. It's your truck, you're free to do what you want. That's not the problem.

What gets annoying is that so many threads on here, irregardless of how unrelated it is, get tainted and hijacked by people complaining about the Auto Start/Stop. If someone wants to complain about it and discuss the remedies, that's fine, there are things I don't like too, but do it in the appropriate place and leave the rest of these threads to talk about other things.

One could argue that bringing up Auto Start/Stop in this thread was semi related to the topic (though there already is a thread or two out there talking about what "we" want/don't want on future gen Rangers, which is where it should really belong), but doing a deep dive into why it is hated by some and how to fix it is where it runs too far off the rails in my mind, especially when someone already shared the link to the thread where it is discussed in great detail.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical

happy to suggest a great product from what looks like a small company, it was a good solution for me......... good luck!

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
I'm fine with people having their opinions and doing their own things. It's your truck, you're free to do what you want. That's not the problem.

What gets annoying is that so many threads on here, irregardless of how unrelated it is, get tainted and hijacked by people complaining about the Auto Start/Stop. If someone wants to complain about it and discuss the remedies, that's fine, there are things I don't like too, but do it in the appropriate place and leave the rest of these threads to talk about other things.

One could argue that bringing up Auto Start/Stop in this thread was semi related to the topic (though there already is a thread or two out there talking about what "we" want/don't want on future gen Rangers, which is where it should really belong), but doing a deep dive into why it is hated by some and how to fix it is where it runs too far off the rails in my mind, especially when someone already shared the link to the thread where it is discussed in great detail.
You know what I hate? People adding letters to words where they don't belong.

Its Regardless! Regardless! Regardless!

Larrykime

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SCab Lariat 4X2, 2019 MX5, 2008 Expedition
Occupation
Crane Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
Wait how did you get rid of start stop? Ive been trying to find a way to just permanently disable it instead of hitting the button everytime I get in and drive, which isnt hard just annoying!
Just unplug it from the battery. has a video on how to do this.

DJS 60

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Ford Ranger
Occupation
Ironworker

I agree. I try to hit the turn off button when l get in but sometimes I forget. Just gets to be a habit like turning the radio on. The stop start option works much smoother on the 2020 Ranger than the 2015 F150 I had

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
They have pumped it out sense 2015 overseas. Three platforms are using the same design, The Ranger,The Everest,The Ranger Raptor.
The "Rumored" new Generation looks like a fresh idea and Im waiting for it to drop. Guessing when Ford will release something seems fruitless, until they officially announce it. Im actually trying to hold off buying my wife a Territory to see when Ford says something. Another Rumor from the dealerships is that the Bronco is coming here, The F150 that finally released was a 2020 model.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I usually don't mind it, as I live in an exurban-rural area with few stop signs or signal lights. I only shut it off if I find myself in a long queue- drive throughs, ramp meters etc. Retired now, but when I drove to work, there were only two 4-way stops and one light in the 17 mile drive. I drove semi over-the-road, so the car would sit for 4-7 days, which was usually enough to keep the ASS off; parasitic drain would keep the battery state of charge below the threshold and it wouldn't activate.
When it is working, I like to game it. As I am approaching a stop, I gently release pressure on the brake pedal; just enough to still stop the car, but light enough to keep the ASS from triggering. It helps make traffic less stressful as you are actively engaged challenging the ASS.
Lane Keeping System? How close to the fog line can you get without vibrating the steering wheel? how far can you keep this up?

Heck, throw out the X-Box, jump in the truck and go play!
Sponsored