Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
I had to look up "fog line", never heard it called that before. I find I have to do that for quite a bit of terms using this forum. Interesting the different colloquial words and phrases people use between different ages, regions, and upbringings.
This is a Fog Line.
6061AD30-3C49-4DF5-89E3-078C2EFE67E2.png

This is Foghorn Leghorn.
16AE1CD1-479D-42BD-8973-7959353B2BBE.jpeg
Sponsored

wolfhawk73

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
Will the 2021 model be the new platform or the same as the 2019/2020? I could not seem to find a definitive answer. I am about to purchase a Ranger XLT FX4 but am in no rush and don't want to kick myself if the new one is right around the corner.

thanks!
As another poster said...buy what you want. There will always be another opportunity.

Unless you're like me, of course, and you're hoping for manual transmission availability in the new platform. I can't imagine getting what I want, though.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I had to look up "fog line", never heard it called that before. I find I have to do that for quite a bit of terms using this forum. Interesting the different colloquial words and phrases people use between different ages, regions, and upbringings.
The fog line is the right-of-way/shoulder edge line, and is painted yellow on the left side, white on the right side on multilane roadways in North America. All federal (US) and Interstate highways have them, and I believe all or most state highways have them, some county roads do ,too. Maybe it depends on traffic classification. Must be some DOT nerds on this site that can answer this.

Last edited:

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
The fog line is the right-of-way/shoulder edge line and always painted yellow in North America, In Missouri, the zipper (rumble strips) starts right in the fog line. Other states it is fully off the right of way in the shoulder.
The fog line is white on the right, yellow on the left. White designates traffic lanes moving in same direction. Yellow designates opposing traffic. If you have a yellow line of any kind on your right, your driving in the wrong direction.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
Expected 2022 at the earliest
It is supposed to be a 2023 model year, coming out the fall of 2022. '21s & '22s will be the current T6 Ranger, No V6, no Raptor no Manual until 2023, but y'never know.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Yeah, like I said I discovered that right away in my quick cursory research (Googled the term and it came up right away). And I obviously know what the line colors and shapes mean. My point was more that I've never heard them called that and found it interesting the names people have for things. Always just called them the white and yellow, or side and center, lines on the road. Never even heard the phrase "fog lines" before. That's all I was trying to convey.
I’ve never heard it either. That’s why I love this forum, I’m always learning something new. :)

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
(un)OFFICIAL RANGER 5G DRIVING LEXICON.
Common terms used in the trucking industry
  • Fog Line: continuous painted white line at the extreme right edge of a roadway right of way. In North America, a multilane roadway (two or more lanes in the same direction) have an additional yellow fog line on the left edge of the leftmost lane.
  • Zipper: the rumble strip pressed or cast into a paved shoulder, right and/or left side on multilane road.
  • Hammer Lane: leftmost lane(s)
  • Gramma Lane: right lane
  • Yardstick: Milemarker
  • Jersey wall/barrier, J-barrier/wall: Concrete barrier used to separate lanes, temporary or permanent, 8-15 ft each section or continuous cast
  • Alligator: a section of tread or tire carcass from a blown tire that is laying in the right-of-way.
  • Bear: Law Enforcement Officer
  • Air Bear LEO in an aircraft typically for radar patrolling of a highway section.
  • Care Bear- LEO assisting a stranded motorist, monitoring a const. or crash site
  • Diesel Bear: Commercial vehicle inspector
  • Big Bear denotes state-level LEO- not very common term anymore.
  • Bear shootn' ya in the face/ass: radar enforcement officer either facing you or behind (parked on an approach ramp or on an overhead bridge.
  • Meatwagon: Ambulance
  • Diver Appreciation Day/Week: period of elevated levels of traffic enforcement.
Sponsored