Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
The Ranger is making its mark on the segment. This from GM Authority:
Chevrolet Colorado Sales Down 23 Percent In Q2 2019

A couple of quotes that stood out to me:
"We believe that the Colorado’s precipitous drop is caused by two factors. First is the new Ford Ranger, which seems to be putting a dent in Colorado sales. Second is Toyota’s impressive performance in the space."

and

"While Tacoma sales were up, Toyota actually lost about 4 percent market share, primarily due to a relatively strong performance by the new Ford Ranger, which earned a 14 percent segment share."
Sponsored

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
The Ranger is making its mark on the segment. This from GM Authority:
Chevrolet Colorado Sales Down 23 Percent In Q2 2019

A couple of quotes that stood out to me:
"We believe that the Colorado’s precipitous drop is caused by two factors. First is the new Ford Ranger, which seems to be putting a dent in Colorado sales. Second is Toyota’s impressive performance in the space."

and

"While Tacoma sales were up, Toyota actually lost about 4 percent market share, primarily due to a relatively strong performance by the new Ford Ranger, which earned a 14 percent segment share."

I thought GM wasn't worried about the Ranger?????

hehe

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, the Ranger is so far down the list that they couldn't (yet) be bothered with it :)
Not that far down the list..... Another quarter drop like last quarter, with a bit of an improvement from the Ranger and they could swap positions.

I looked at comments on that posting and someone said they had "finally" fixed the transmission issue by using a full flush with a different fluid. Seems like a long time (3+ years?) to figure out what fluid is needed in a transmission......

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
Not that far down the list..... Another quarter drop like last quarter, with a bit of an improvement from the Ranger and they could swap positions.

I looked at comments on that posting and someone said they had "finally" fixed the transmission issue by using a full flush with a different fluid. Seems like a long time (3+ years?) to figure out what fluid is needed in a transmission......
They've tried 3 (I think) different fluid flushes / attempts.. maybe they finally got it right... I was looking at the Colorado as you can get one for a little less $$ but not worth it if you have to deal with a lot of issues.... The Ranger is still new so hopefully, a win for everyone here... but, only time will tell and I felt better on that gamble than on the GM.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They've tried 3 (I think) different fluid flushes / attempts.. maybe they finally got it right... I was looking at the Colorado as you can get one for a little less $$ but not worth it if you have to deal with a lot of issues.... The Ranger is still new so hopefully, a win for everyone here... but, only time will tell and I felt better on that gamble than on the GM.
From a transmission perspective, I don't think you can beat the 10 speed. From any manufacturer. It is a winner.

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
From a transmission perspective, I don't think you can beat the 10 speed. From any manufacturer. It is a winner.
I agree and supposedly a collaboration between Ford and GM.... so I'm surprised it didn't show up in the Colorado/Canyon models.... unless something fell apart in the agreement... that 10 speed in a Colorado/Canyon ... just might get them back on track.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I agree and supposedly a collaboration between Ford and GM.... so I'm surprised it didn't show up in the Colorado/Canyon models.... unless something fell apart in the agreement... that 10 speed in a Colorado/Canyon ... just might get them back on track.
It was a joint effort between GM and Ford. What is odd is I believe they use it ONLY in the Camaro.

Ford seems to be putting it in just about everything now. For good reason, too.

Edit: I googled, and apparently they do use it in a few vehicles:

In March 2016, General Motors announced that it will introduce the new 10-speed transmission across eight vehicle models by the year 2018. We expect these vehicles to be:
Also found this on Wikipedia:

This transmission is part of a joint-venture between Ford Motor Company and General Motors to design and engineer two transmissions, a longitudinal 10-speed transmission and a transverse 9-speed trans-axle. Each company will manufacture its own unique version of the transmissions in their own factories.[1][2] The 10-speed transmission was designed by Ford, while GM designed the 9-speed transmission which is used in transverse applications.[3][4]

So maybe that is why Ford is using the 10 speed so much - they designed it.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
The 10 speed rwd platform and 9 speed fwd were joint efforts. The 10 speed was a Ford led/developed project ( Assuming this is why it was predominately offered in FoMoCo vehicles much sooner ) while the 9 speed trans axle was GM led. Interesting to me is that Ford actually dropped the 9th gear and went with 8 speeds in their version of the GM 9 speed. Ford said there was no real advantage in performance or fuel economy with 9 speeds and felt the weight reduction of 8 speeds was a better option. I'm thinking it was a $$ reduction and maybe simplified it a bit.

EDIT: I didn't see the previous post.......:LOL:
Sponsored