Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine
Pretty impressive numbers for the Ranger! :like:

But darn those Tacomas do sell very well. Which is hard to believe because once you drive it you actually like that horrendous drivetrain?
Yea over a hundred thousand is not too shabby. :thumbsup:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yea over a hundred thousand is not too shabby. :thumbsup:
Especially being shut down (everyone was) with Covid back in March. It'll be tough to knock the Tacoma from the top with all their loyal fan boys but I think they'll give them a run for their money. I can't wait until both have a redesign, especially if there's a Ranger Raptor.?

Rowdy Ranger

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lighting Blue Ranger
Occupation
Certified Welder
Wait for the all American Ranger in 2022, Aluminum body, seven speed manual, 2.7 and a diesel. The Ranger is back and climbing to the top. Ford doesn't enter a truck market to be runner-up.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Wait for the all American Ranger in 2022, Aluminum body, seven speed manual, 2.7 and a diesel. The Ranger is back and climbing to the top. Ford doesn't enter a truck market to be runner-up.
With Covid and Bronco delays 2023 is a better estimate. Maybe a RRaptor in 2024 if we're lucky.

Espo78

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX FX4
Vehicle Showcase

But darn those Tacomas do sell very well. Which is hard to believe because once you drive it do you actually like that horrendous drivetrain?
I wanted to like the Tacoma. I test drove a few of them, new and used. I kept going back to them even after knowing they drive like crap. It's amazing what marketing can do. But after a 5 minute drive in the Ranger I knew it was the truck. The Tacoma does a lot of things well. I like the composite bed and utility tracks and powerpoint in the bed. I like the look of the truck. But I hated the drivetrain. I hated the seating position. I hated the non adjustable height on the seats (WTF??) and did I mention I hated the rust I saw on 30k mile trucks. Oh and I REALLY hated the price.

Overall the Ranger is a MUCH better truck which of course we all know, that's why we are here! I'd like to know the 2020 production numbers as it seems like there are a lot of leftover 20's and even some leftover 19's still on dealer lots.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I wanted to like the Tacoma. I test drove a few of them, new and used. I kept going back to them even after knowing they drive like crap. It's amazing what marketing can do. But after a 5 minute drive in the Ranger I knew it was the truck. The Tacoma does a lot of things well. I like the composite bed and utility tracks and powerpoint in the bed. I like the look of the truck. But I hated the drivetrain. I hated the seating position. I hated the non adjustable height on the seats (WTF??) and did I mention I hated the rust I saw on 30k mile trucks. Oh and I REALLY hated the price.

Overall the Ranger is a MUCH better truck which of course we all know, that's why we are here! I'd like to know the 2020 production numbers as it seems like there are a lot of leftover 20's and even some leftover 19's still on dealer lots.
I had a 2016 Tacoma only because they were the only decent mid size truck out there at the time. I was downsizing from a F 150 and the Ranger wasn't out yet. That was the worst truck I've ever owned for all the reasons you said including the bucking Bronco drivetrain. That darn tranny never knew what gear it wanted to be in and was always shifting in/out non stop! For me it was like buying a boat....The happiest days were the day I bought it and the day I sold it! ?

TONTO

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Vehicle Showcase

But darn those Tacomas do sell very well. Which is hard to believe because once you drive it do you actually like that horrendous drivetrain?
That was exactly what I thought after test driving the Tacoma, along with the bumpier ride, smaller cabin room, and way less comfortable seating.

a572mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 1958 Cessna 182
Occupation
Airport Engineer
Even though I'm a long time Ford guy and have owned previous Rangers, I too wanted to like the Tacoma. I hated the seating position, even in the 2020's that had an available power seat. I hated that the only way to get heated leather was to get it in a package with a damned sunroof, which takes away even more of the already limited headroom. I was unimpressed with the powertrain. I hated the fact that their $40,000 pickup has drum brakes. And, most of all, I hated the dealership experiences that I have had walking into Toyota dealers, they either ignore me, or they try to high pressure me.

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
And, most of all, I hated the dealership experiences that I have had walking into Toyota dealers, they either ignore me, or they try to high pressure me.
My experience has been pretty bad with both toyota and Ford dealers--I couldn't understand why ford made me work so hard to find someone to sell me a truck. But the local toyota service department beats the Ford equivalent hands down. Everything from faster check-in, to donuts & better drinks, to more comfy chairs. I don't know if it's just this dealership, or if ford has some kind of policy that the Ford section has to suck to make the Lincoln section seem better or what, but it really seems like Ford could push for a better customer experience in a lot of areas.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
With Covid and Bronco delays 2023 is a better estimate. Maybe a RRaptor in 2024 if we're lucky.
I think the 6G Ranger was always going to be a 2023 model- release fall 2022 hopefully.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
My experience has been pretty bad with both toyota and Ford dealers--I couldn't understand why ford made me work so hard to find someone to sell me a truck. But the local toyota service department beats the Ford equivalent hands down. Everything from faster check-in, to donuts & better drinks, to more comfy chairs. I don't know if it's just this dealership, or if ford has some kind of policy that the Ford section has to suck to make the Lincoln section seem better or what, but it really seems like Ford could push for a better customer experience in a lot of areas.
I think beyond the overall theme of the building, the furniture is up to the dealer principal at both Ford and Toyota. My Ford-only store has an acceptably comfy lounge area with free wifi, a fresh popcorn maker and fresh cookies & coffee.
The closer dealer I don't go to has a lousy service department, but there is a gas fireplace in in the lounge.

E Monty

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Ranger XLT/ā€˜03 Excursion
Occupation
Sheet Metal Worker
Always been a Ford guy and family going way back to my great grandfather. Iā€™ve had grown accustomed to GMC products through work so I thought Iā€™d end up with a Colorado when I started shopping. I test drove all 3 and gave them an honest go. The taco was absolutely terrible in all the areas already listed. Colorado wasnā€™t bad kinda liked it and it was a familiar platform. Totally happy with the Ranger, wouldnā€™t trade it for anything but a newer one. And a midsize has really grown on me.
Sponsored