First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger, XLT 4x4, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Therapist -- Retired Navy
Why is a solid front axle so important? I thought independent would give you more mobility? Not an off-roader so haven't really looked into the why's of this stuff, however awesome job.
Sponsored

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 XLT SuperCrew 4x2. Former '21 SuperCab Owner
Why is a solid front axle so important? I thought independent would give you more mobility? Not an off-roader so haven't really looked into the why's of this stuff, however awesome job.
I'm not an off-roader, but my understanding is that a solid axle acts like a lever. When one end is pushed up by the terrain, it pushes down on the other end increasing traction.

I'm assuming they can be stronger as well.

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS; Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADA
IFS rides and handles better but it can't do this:

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
What others have said, but I'll put it a little more simply and watered down: it allows you to have maximum contact with the ground.

With an IFS, you get the tendency to lift a wheel, and once that wheel is off the ground it can't provide drive to the ground.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
What others have said, but I'll put it a little more simply and watered down: it allows you to have maximum contact with the ground.

With an IFS, you get the tendency to lift a wheel, and once that wheel is off the ground it can't provide drive to the ground.
Now, you’re just showing off. ?

Nice off-reading skills John. ?

Venom_z89

First Name
Edson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger fx4
Occupation
Forklift technician

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS; Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADA
Unless it's a beams ifs ?
I-Beam can articulate more than regular IFS, but it won't do as well rock crawling as a solid front axle. The benefit of the solid axle is that as one wheel enters a hole or goes over an obstacle, the other is forced in the opposite direction causing more flex.

Thefadricator

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 01 7.3 64 122s 14 ilx 08 xc90v8 928gts
Occupation
Yes
Thank you! My first sas that I did, I used forums like this to plan the entire build from start to finish. Hopefully it will help a few along the way. Although with ifs technology, it might make more sense to go the long travel route for most people.
Hoping to soon! In fact I've been trying to upload some pictures this morning, but it keeps saying the files are too large.. but they are smaller than other pictures I've posted. I might have to use a hosting website.
Any luck with the power steering route. I'm about to go down this path myself

OP
OP
87stang616

87stang616

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
Sales
Any luck with the power steering route. I'm about to go down this path myself
Going to test the final power steering setup this weekend, depends on how much Christmas stuff I end up doing. I'll try to post some pictures, but I have tried several times lately and I can't get any to post.

Thefadricator

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes
Going to test the final power steering setup this weekend, depends on how much Christmas stuff I end up doing. I'll try to post some pictures, but I have tried several times lately and I can't get any to post.
Mind if I send you a private message I'd love to puck your brain about what you like and how you'd make it better

OP
OP
87stang616

87stang616

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
Sales
Mind if I send you a private message I'd love to puck your brain about what you like and how you'd make it better
No problem at all! Happy to share info. When I did my first sas there was 100s of builds to mimmick, copy and get ideas from. This one has been one giant "figure it out"

Thefadricator

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes
No problem at all! Happy to share info. When I did my first sas there was 100s of builds to mimmick, copy and get ideas from. This one has been one giant "figure it out"
Thanks man after the holidays I'll hit you up. A good buddy of mine has done quite a bunch of these and is helping me so we are trying to figure out steering and drive shaft

OP
OP
87stang616

87stang616

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
Sales
Thanks man after the holidays I'll hit you up. A good buddy of mine has done quite a bunch of these and is helping me so we are trying to figure out steering and drive shaft
Sounds good. The steering has by far been the biggest obstacle. Happy holidays.