2019 Overland Ranger Project

Discussion in 'Build Journals & Projects' started by nick_psomas, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Sunpilot

Sunpilot Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger
    Garage Profiles:
    I can't speak for the new Ranger's electrical capacity yet, my truck only has 800 miles on it and I haven't delved into alternate batteries, etc. yet and I am just starting my build. I CAN tell you that my '07 4Runner, which I overland in, has matched dual AGM batteries and a smart solenoid to handle the charging functions as well as other items. This gives me the ability to camp for days at a time, run my camp lights, and my camp fridge and still have a fresh battery to power the vehicle when it's time to move on. If you want to stay longer without running the main engine you could also install solar panels to charge the house battery, or even run a small camp generator. Isolating batteries is a must, in my opinion. I have my winch and off road lights connected to the main truck battery because I always have the engine running when using those accessories. My communications and other camp related items, as I said, are hooked to the 'house' battery. The system has never failed me. There is a lot of info on this subject in the overlanding forums. Good luck in overlanding, I think you will enjoy it immensely.

2. HoosierT

HoosierT Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle(s):
    ‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
    Somewhat similar, I am running a Yeti Lithium 400 battery for camp stuff like lights, fridge, etc. It'll get charged via 12v in the bed while driving and solar while in camp. For my winch and compressor, I have no issue using the starting battery for those since I'll just leave the truck running anytime they're in use. The Ranger actually has quite a nice AGM battery stock so it'll handle those tasks just fine.

Sunpilot likes this.
  3. RoadBoss

RoadBoss Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Travis
    Vehicle(s):
    95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
    Driver
    can't speak for this truck, but most people add an auxiliary battery system and run any aftermarket stuff (other than driving lights) on the aux system.

Sunpilot likes this.