First Name
Drandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Healthcare Corp Analyst
All, my beautiful truck began blowing nothing but heat, no matter how I adjusted it on the driver's side. I tried everything to no avail. I searched the internet and sure enough others were having this same issue and it was just not the Ranger but nearly every modern car made in the last five years (apparently many makes and models all use this same assembly). The issue turned out to be the Housing/Heater Assembly. This is not a repair for the faint of heart as to replace assembly which is under the dash and connected to the core in the engine compartment. I had to leave my Ranger with the dealer for over a week despite the job being labeled 4.4 billable hours. My warranty was expired but fortunately my extended warranty covered the repair. I was told that it would have cost between $1400-$1700 and I am guessing by how long it took them I would have had the higher charge.

2019 Ranger Climate Control SSM.jpg

2019 Ranger Climate Control SSM Hours.jpg
Question, did the cost of the fix outweigh the cost of the extended warranty policy?
Sponsored

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I know this has probably been asked, but does this pertain to climate control only or does manual HVAC have the same problem?

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Good to hear it works! I didn't know it affected other vehicles too. The company that makes theses should step up and fix them when they fail.
Unfortunately, beta testing is the rule these days.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Question, did the cost of the fix outweigh the cost of the extended warranty policy?
For the vast majority of people no, it does not.

There's a reason they sell these things. Hint, they don't lose money on them.

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab FX4
It depends I suppose .... everyone is different...for my own experience...it looks like I could get a moderate extended ford warranty from say granger for about $2k cdn give or take a bit....if I had to repair out of pocket ...I think the parts were only a couple hundred but the labor was 1.5 days so 12hrs and the ford shop was pretty much $100/hr so almost $1500....the extended warranty for me would be worth a look

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab FX4
I know this has probably been asked, but does this pertain to climate control only or does manual HVAC have the same problem?
Auto climate control and manual control HVAC are both equally susceptible...my '19 Scab was manual

It's not motors or electrical persay....the HVAC box that contains the blower motor and has the blend doors on its sides becomes warped due to a manufacturing issue and usually renders the blend doors inoperative....either stuck open or closed....(the snapping and popping sounds) and also results in either getting only cool air and no heat or vice versa

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
For the vast majority of people no, it does not.

There's a reason they sell these things. Hint, they don't lose money on them.
It all depends on the warranty term, mileage and deductible. The one I bought was just under $1K and the average HVAC warranty costs seemed to average $2,500. But you're right it's like any insurance policy where most times you never use it....until you need it.

OP
OP
hughesjv

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Not for me...I paid nearly $3K for 8 years or 100K miles. However, if anything else goes wrong, I am pretty sure it will. I have a $1700 start to my payback schedule.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
It all depends on the warranty term, mileage and deductible. The one I bought was just under $1K and the average HVAC warranty costs seemed to average $2,500. But you're right it's like any insurance policy where most times you never use it....until you need it.
The new avatar is hot.

FastRevolvingKatydid-max-1mb.gif

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Not for me...I paid nearly $3K for 8 years or 100K miles. However, if anything else goes wrong, I am pretty sure it will. I have a $1700 start to my payback schedule.
:oops:wow $1549 for 8yr/100k from granger thanks again @Zach@granger

50k in and still waiting to use it :fingerscrossed:

OP
OP
hughesjv

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
:oops:wow $1549 for 8yr/100k from granger thanks again @Zach@granger

50k in and still waiting to use it :fingerscrossed:
Have you used the Grainger warranty? Is it bumper to bumper no deductible? I am always game for a cheaper way but would want to make sure I am comparing apples to apples.

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Have you used the Grainger warranty? Is it bumper to pumper no deductible? I am always game for a cheaper way but would want to make sure I am comparing apples to apples.
As you can tell, I'm not am extra warranty guy.

But from what I understand the Grainger offerings are the same Ford extendos you buy elsewhere and the best deal around.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired