RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I was waiting for this one; they talked about it yesterday. Tacos for dinner!!
Not terribly surprising, but it was fun to watch. It is interesting to read all the comments - people saying the turbo will implode and how many problems EcoBoost engines have. I've read exactly the opposite - they have (with a few minor exceptions) been proven to be EXTREMELY reliable over the long term. The EcoBoost is not new technology - they just keep improving it. The engines consistently amaze me. I see stuff like this and I just can't wait to drive one - I hope mine gets built sooner than later.

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
The key they kept mentioning was "at altitude". I would expect a boosted engine to perform dramatically better than an aspirated engine when at altitude which translates to less dense air. Would like to see the same video shot at sea level. I would still expect the Ranger to take the flag but less dramatically.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
The key they kept mentioning was "at altitude". I would expect a boosted engine to perform dramatically better than an aspirated engine when at altitude which translates to less dense air. Would like to see the same video shot at sea level. I would still expect the Ranger to take the flag but less dramatically.
Doug DeMuro said in San Diego it was 6.9 seconds for 0-60, versus 7.3 seconds in Colorado.

Car & Driver estimated it was 6.5-6.7 seconds in their review.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
Car & Driver is usually pretty accurate when it comes to 0-60 times. I've seen people on Colorado forums post 6.1-6.3 second times from the track. We will have to see how they compare when someone does a full comparison test.

MattE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150
Not terribly surprising, but it was fun to watch. It is interesting to read all the comments - people saying the turbo will implode and how many problems EcoBoost engines have. I've read exactly the opposite - they have (with a few minor exceptions) been proven to be EXTREMELY reliable over the long term. The EcoBoost is not new technology - they just keep improving it. The engines consistently amaze me. I see stuff like this and I just can't wait to drive one - I hope mine gets built sooner than later.
Ahh yes, those who decry the reliability of an entire "branded" line of engines, while usually having no personal experiences with said engine. I have spoken with many of these. They are usually referencing some anecdotal evidence from a brother's sister's cousin's former roommate who had "trouble with it". This "trouble" is never specific and could have been a ball joint for all this "expert" knows. There is also the person who claims to know a Ford tech who has to "work on them" alot. Is this Tech's specialty engines? No, usually he's in Quick lube so he sees exactly zero failed engines, but sure does change the oil in a lot of them. For bonus points this "tech" also drives an old civic with a coffee can exhaust but says there is no "replacement for displacement" and would only buy a V8 F150.

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
For bonus points this "tech" also drives an old civic with a coffee can exhaust but says there is no "replacement for displacement" and would only buy a V8 F150.
Seems legitimate.

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Ahh yes, those who decry the reliability of an entire "branded" line of engines, while usually having no personal experiences with said engine. I have spoken with many of these. They are usually referencing some anecdotal evidence from a brother's sister's cousin's former roommate who had "trouble with it". This "trouble" is never specific and could have been a ball joint for all this "expert" knows. There is also the person who claims to know a Ford tech who has to "work on them" alot. Is this Tech's specialty engines? No, usually he's in Quick lube so he sees exactly zero failed engines, but sure does change the oil in a lot of them. For bonus points this "tech" also drives an old civic with a coffee can exhaust but says there is no "replacement for displacement" and would only buy a V8 F150.
There’s a great deal of inaccurate statements regarding the 2.3L EcoBoost, particularly for having head gasket issues. It was actually the 2.3L on the Focus RS that was having head gasket issues, an issue was discovered in engine production. They were mistakenly building the 2.3L engines for the RS with head gaskets intended for the 2.3L in the Mustang. Very similar but not identical engines. Anyway they went from having no issues on RS, to having frequent problems (because of the wrong gasket during the initial builds), and back to no issues again.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
I watched a video a couple of years back published by Ford showing how they tested the 3.5L ecoboost before production It was pretty intense. They ran it at redline nonstop for weeks on end, poured the oil out and ran it before filling it, did towing torture tests up an incline at over 100 degrees, ran it in a desert with all the dust, then did track tests, baja tests and after everything they then took the whole thing apart to show how the engine held up to everything. I am a believer in Ford's engineering. I've owned a number of Fords with some very high miles on them. I've had to replace a lot of window actuators, ball joints, struts, water pumps, ac compressors, radios, interior panel, etc but the engine has always been bulletproof reliable. My first Ford was an 89 with a 2.2L turbo engine. I had it until 225k miles before selling it for a truck. I replaced just about everything on that car but the only engine pieces I had to replace were the gasket to the exhaust manifold and the rubber throttle body boot.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
There’s a great deal of inaccurate statements regarding the 2.3L EcoBoost, particularly for having head gasket issues. It was actually the 2.3L on the Focus RS that was having head gasket issues, an issue was discovered in engine production. They were mistakenly building the 2.3L engines for the RS with head gaskets intended for the 2.3L in the Mustang. Very similar but not identical engines. Anyway they went from having no issues on RS, to having frequent problems (because of the wrong gasket during the initial builds), and back to no issues again.
Also all the RS's were built in Germany and imported , vs Mustang was built here. So I would think motor was the same.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Also all the RS's were built in Germany and imported , vs Mustang was built here. So I would think motor was the same.
All the RS engines were built in the Spain engine assembly plant and sent to Germany for final assembly.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase

FLEngineer

Threads