The Ranger, car reviews and journalists rant

Anger

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 XLT FX4 SCAB, ole vette
I recently bought a supercab fx4 xlt ranger and I spent months reading reviews on it before I pulled the trigger. Car reviewers really do have nothing better to do than just write all sorts of useless stuff.

-The tailgate does not need a damper because it's light as a feather (zomg the 'rado has one!!!!!!11!!).
-The truck is perfectly well dampened and sprung even with the softer fx4 pack, it does not "porpoise" and pitch back and forth. The front end is a touch softer than the rear and it will sometimes do an extra half motion before settling over the worst road sections. Really well compromised
-The Ranger has some of the best rear end handling characteristics for a truck full stop. The rear axle will hop over washboard gravel, but that is absolutely unavoidable except to get out of the "harmonic speed". On pavement it puts an ole Foxbody to shame, especially with bumps in corners (a live axle's worst nightmare). Even my dad's old Dakota would be weak at this.
-The brake pedal is not Audi/VAG short, and so is "long" but is perfectly proportional in it's travel. Thank GOD Ford didn't follow the recent trend of the on/off switch style brake pedals that attempt to put your face into the windshield every time you breathe on it.
-The sound system is amazing, especially with the sound deadening even on the Fx4 pack Hankook tires. I had to drive a Kia Soul-less rental today and it sucked big time holy shit. Savagegeese is a crossover worshipping dolt.
-S.CAB rear seats have enough leg room for a regular adult, really. I don't want to hear the 6'5" lanket "car reviewer" humble-brag about how tall he is and he doesn't fit. The rear seats are vertical and that's crazy.

The real problems like the stupid floorwell air duct catching boots, and the jittery door sensors that'll bounce in and out, and the confused auto dim headlights, and the lack of aft cup-holders (1st world problems I know) are never mentioned. Nobody ever writes about how hard it is to find the firewall grommit under the dash or cabin-bed to hook up your CB radio is on this thing, lmao! What about a dipstick for the windshield washer fluid? The silly goose piped in engine noises?! The tailgate that tricks you into thinking it's fully closed when it's halfway at best if you don't slam it like you're pissed off! The BIG performance gains you leave on the table running 87 instead of 91?
Sponsored

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
What I really hate is the sound the door makes when it smashes your thumb while slamming shut, really none...no beep...no warning chime...

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
What I really hate is the sound the door makes when it smashes your thumb while slamming shut, really none...no beep...no warning chime...
Oh but hey, if you have the fob in your hand that's stuck in the door and the engines running, it will double honk at that point ?. I deleted that option last week

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
Dudes right though. Auto reviewers suck - especially the YouTube flavor.
They tend to parrot the hell out of one another. I way he'd about a bazillion Ranger reviews and a ton of the YouTubers seem to copy one another's buzzwords. No idea who the progenitor was, but they all do it.

It's common to have the same pros and cons, but pick a different word for crying out loud!
Sponsored