BDUb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL 4x4, Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I have my truck start automatically 5 days a week twice a day. It's set for 10 min. run time. My MPG's since I have started this went from around 22 to 18. However, I have also been driving it like I stole it in S mode for a while. This tank I have only made one change and that is not driving in S mode to see what that does for 2 or 3 tanks. Once I see what that does to my MPG's I will then not remote start as often either. We shall see what happens...2019 XL 4x4.
Sponsored

CWOJohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Wow! Most of MPGs reported on here are pretty good. I just went over 1000 miles on my XLT 4x4 and the computer has indicated anywhere from 19-21.5 average, but when I calculate myself it is usually 1.5 to 2 MPG lower than that. I have been real easy on it for the first 1000 so I hope the MPGs improve with more break-in on the engine. It has been a mixture of highway and streets, but the 21.5 which was actually 19.7 calculated was the best I have had and that was mostly highway.

DEAC25

First Name
Bub
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Govt
2019 Lariat FX4. Front level added (so far). I drive hard through city traffic on my commute and get around 20 or so. Sometimes 18, sometimes 20, per computer. If I ride normal low stop 2 lane roads I have gotten up to 23 or so. Average is about 20. More importantly I get off the line quick and pass (most) others readily. Not as much raw power as my 2016 Taurus, but no complaints!

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Since there's some newer forum members on this thread (welcome!), I thought it would be good to point out that you can adjust the onboard fuel economy calculator to get it closer to reality. The easy-to-follow instructions can be found here. Reading through some of these posts it's often not possible to tell who's quoting numbers based on hand-calculations and who's relying on the computer. If you haven't manually calibrated the computer, it can be off by a couple MPGs (seemingly always higher than reality!), which of course can really throw off comparisons.

Robert Jay

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT and 2008 Porsche Carrera 4S
Occupation
Retired Antique Dealer
My wife drives our 2019 Ranger, 4x2, CC, level kit, aftermarket Nitto AT (wider, maybe a little taller) tires. According to the computer, it's getting a steady 17.5 mixed driving. I drive a 2018 F150 4x4, 3.5L, CC, stock and get 17.8 mixed driving. If I baby the F150, I get 19/20. If I could convince my wife to keep her foot out of the turbo, the Ranger will likely do better. In general the more boost from the turbo, the lower the MPG. Yes, there are few snow flake Rangers that claim 28 MPG, but on average they all get similar MPG, otherwise people would flock to that vehicle. The makers are not going to let the competition beat them, period. Yes, I'm not thrilled that Ford stated my Ranger would get 21/26, but Toyota stated 21/25 on my 2014 Tacoma and I got 17.6!

Average MPG from google results...
2019 Tacoma 20/23 MPG
2019 Canyon/Coyote 20/30 MPG
2019 Ranger 21/26 MPG

A quick google around and you'll see owners of the three above averaging 17's to 18's with a few outliers for some reason.

Enjoy your Ranger, Ford did a good job with it IMO.

Robert Jay

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Antique Dealer
I average 17 on a good day. I only bought the Ranger over the Tacoma because it got better gas mileage.
I paid thru the nose for the Ranger and could have gotten a great deal on the Tacoma. It did not pay off.

Strider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I’ve been really curious about this topic as well. Bought my Ranger in November 2019. Usually I drive a 20 minute interstate work commute with basic small city driving otherwise. I haven’t been on a long mileage trip yet but haven’t cracked 18 mpg the entire time - per the dashboard number. Usually 17.5. Lately even seeing 16’s without the commute to work (WFH). Will be taking a 300 mile+ trip this weekend. Interested to see how it registers.

Robert Jay

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Antique Dealer
what Kills me about this is that I traded in my 460 HP 2018 Mustang GT for this 4 banger and the mustang got 18mpg around town and 28 on the highway.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
what Kills me about this is that I traded in my 460 HP 2018 Mustang GT for this 4 banger and the mustang got 18mpg around town and 28 on the highway.
Per Fuelly, the 2018 Mustang GT gets an average of 17.95 mpg, while the heavier and higher 2019 Ranger averages 20.45 mpg.
I average 17 on a good day. I only bought the Ranger over the Tacoma because it got better gas mileage.
I paid thru the nose for the Ranger and could have gotten a great deal on the Tacoma. It did not pay off.
And to complete the comparison, 2019 Tacomas average 18.39 mpg.

Of course, YMMV.

banerjek

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
How easy you go on the pedals makes a HUGE difference.

I'm not too happy with my mileage, but I ride almost at weight capacity with a cabover camper which also wrecks aerodynamics. I normally get about 18 -- but I drive like an old man.

If I drive like I stole it, I can cut that practically in half.

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
So I just bought my 2019 Ranger in the middle of May. It's a 4x2 Lariat and has about 1,200 miles. I love everything about the truck but the gas mileage. So far i've been getting about 17.5 miles a gallon. I can from a Fiat that got 24 ish MPG on a consistent basis. Only thing i've done to the truck is put a K&N Air Filter. I drive basically to and from work and it's a combo of highway and city and the rest is basically city driving. I don't expect to get the EPA stated MPG but I think what i'm getting is pretty low. I do know there is controversy in regards to the Ranger's stated MPG. Just wondering if my MPG is normal or something that is abnormal. Please help me ease my fears.

I am mostly a conservative driver and save the rough stuff for only occasionally and I am at 8900 miles and overall 25.4 MPG - Ranger Lariat FX4.

Enitan

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Especially if you try to drive a 4k pound truck like a sports car
..... but SPORT MODE mpg is an afterthought hitting that accelerator with that on
Sponsored