First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
retired
I am wondering how much trouble it is to install the Rough Country 2 1/2" lift to level my 19 XLT? And will the front end alignment have to be redone? The $99 price for the lift isn't bad. I like the look. I just don't want to get into a 4 hour labor bill and new alignment. I'm not willing to try to do it myself.
Sponsored

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
I am wondering how much trouble it is to install the Rough Country 2 1/2" lift to level my 19 XLT? And will the front end alignment have to be redone? The $99 price for the lift isn't bad. I like the look. I just don't want to get into a 4 hour labor bill and new alignment. I'm not willing to try to do it myself.
4x2 is not too bad. I would think a 4x4 would be a little more challenging. You will need an alignment for sure.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Definitely need an alignment. I have a brand new RC kit never installed I’ll sell ya!

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
Definitely alignment. And don't go completely off their instructions. Definitely loosen the axle nut (4x4). Without doing so (their instructions), it's almost certain you will slip a cv joint. I did, and it was a nightmare.

OP
OP

hodges97

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
retired
I may like the downhill slope. Not worth the trouble

IngotTexasRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Vehicle Showcase
You definitely have to get an alignment. I waited about a week before getting it done after installing, and the toe angle is pretty noticeable. Looks much better after install and alignment though.

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
I would suggest going a different route. Know a few guys who have installed that type of lift and it changes the front end handling adversely. Both guys removed it after about a month. Any lift kit will require a wheel alignment done, the kit doesn't change Camber or Caster (unless your replacing control arms as well),but your Toe measurement will change, worse with the more lift you install.

OP
OP

hodges97

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
retired
well here's the thing. I don't want to change the OEM tires or wheels. But I would like to level the truck. I would appreciate any ideas.

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck
That kit would be easy to install, no spring compressor is needed. Basic hand tools and common sense will get it done. 2wd or 4wd? It took me 2 hours to do the first side and about an hour for the other side. 5000 miles since the install with no alignment but thatS bc I want new tires but can’t justify replacing new tires. Fx4 suspension, it’s a little stiffer ride but nowhere as extreme as others have been saying. If a leveled ride is all you want then to me it’s worth it

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
The stock 3 inch difference between the rear and front wheel arches is a little cartoonish to me, but I'm wary of trying to go perfectly level when I hitch any weight to the back throwing off handling/headlights.

Replacement rear shocks are coming for driving comfort, and I'll likely follow with fronts (Eibachs or Bilsteins) that should allow me to keep the stock springs but get up to 2.75(?) inches lift. I don't think I want to completely eliminate the rake, but I'd like to rationalize where to be in between.

Wonder what the increments are, quarter inch?

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
The stock 3 inch difference between the rear and front wheel arches is a little cartoonish to me, but I'm wary of trying to go perfectly level when I hitch any weight to the back throwing off handling/headlights.

Replacement rear shocks are coming for driving comfort, and I'll likely follow with fronts (Eibachs or Bilsteins) that should allow me to keep the stock springs but get up to 2.75(?) inches lift. I don't think I want to completely eliminate the rake, but I'd like to rationalize where to be in between.

Wonder what the increments are, quarter inch?
I went with Eibachs front and back on stock springs. Set the fronts on the 2.25” increase setting. I am now a little less than 1” difference front to back. Looks pretty level to the naked eye.

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I would suggest going a different route. Know a few guys who have installed that type of lift and it changes the front end handling adversely. Both guys removed it after about a month. Any lift kit will require a wheel alignment done, the kit doesn't change Camber or Caster (unless your replacing control arms as well),but your Toe measurement will change, worse with the more lift you install.
Ummm the leveling kits and lift kits still change camber and caster. When I installed the Old Man EMU lift I had to adjust camber, caster and toe.
Now i will agree that a proper lift or leveling kit is going to be better than a spacer kit but still know you have to adjust more than just toe.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
Like Frenchy said, Camber and Caster definitely changed. My alignment specs showed that.

As for "changing the handling adversely", mine changed for the better. It stiffened the ride up so it wasn't so squishy and bouncy. Made it feel like an actual truck. Its still smooth as can be on the main roads but off road I get a much better feel for the terrain. Ive had mine for 8k miles and I haven't considered removing it even once.

Now I will say, I have considered replacing the UCA's because imo, they are at their limit. So far however, they are doing just fine.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I went with Eibachs front and back on stock springs. Set the fronts on the 2.25” increase setting. I am not a little less than 1” difference front to back. Looks pretty level to the naked eye.
Thanks for the input. I saw your comments in another thread in ride characteristics and it also helps.

I was concerned 2 inches would be too much, at quarter inch increments I'm drifting towards a lower 1.75...